Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Any easy to engage clipless pedals?
Quote | Reply
Currently wife is learning to bike and has some speedplay light pedals but are difficult for her to clip into. Are there any pedal systems which require less force then others to clip into?
Quote Reply
Re: Any easy to engage clipless pedals? [suttong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My husband just got his first clipless pedals. He got eggbeaters. They were much easier to get in and out of than my shimanos.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One thing with Speedplays is that the cleat should be mounted completely flat and you should not over tighten the mounting bolts. If there is any bend in the cleat or the mounting bolts are too tight it will make it harder to clip in and out. Make sure you follow the instructions properly, use the wedges between the cleat and sole if you need to and don't over tighten the mounting bolts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Look's entry level pedal is super-easy to get in and out of, and light and cheap to boot:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/look-keo-easy-pedals/

Alternatively, why not go for SPDs - not SPD-SLs, but the type mountain bikers use? Simple to get in and out of, and shoes you can walk in. Your wife may not mind about not having pedals with a "road' pedigree, if they work.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you looked at click'r pedals? They are suppose to be entry level and stand less of a chance one would get stuck like with so e other pedals.
http://www.shimano-lifestylegear.com/...hnologies/clickr.php

Quote | Reply
This just goes to show how what works for one, may not work for another. I've tried more pedal systems than I can remember. Speedplays are the only ones that I consider "easy" to get in and out of! I have Egg Beaters on my cross bike and I can't get into them to save my life - I'm the idiot on the CX course who can't clip in. I have tried Shimano and Look, but I have what refer to as "duck feet" and neither of those gave me enough float to make my knees comfortable and I couldn't get the tension light enough to get my previously-sprained left ankle to unclip easily.

Double check her cleat mounting / placement with the Speedplays - that might help. Sorry I don't have more suggestions to offer up as far as "easy" pedal systems go!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you considered the Shimano 540 LA's (light action)? I recently picked up a set for my wife's road bike, she reports them to be "silly easy" in and out. I can actually flex the retaining jaw on the pedal with my fingers pretty easily. I can't budge that jaw on her race bikes Dura ace pedals.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Time Iclic's - they made me want to ride my bike again. When I first went clipless I fell over ALL.THE.TIME. Got to where I wound not ride. Read about Time Iclics on the internet and LOVE them! They were inexpensive too!

Patti in NJ
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have speedplays and find them very easy to clip in and out of. The first few times you use them it does take a lot of force to loosen up the springs. She should practice clipping in and in clipping multiple times on the trainer first then venture outside. Both my mother and sister wanted to get involved in cycling and speedplays were my recommendation to them as well.

Elisha
"Triathlon doesn't build character. It reveals it."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd recommend Keo Easy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had the Speedplays until my bike was stolen, then my new bike had the SPD-SLs. Night and Day. SPD-SLs were 100% easier for my to get in and out of and to feel secure. Larger platform, easier all around (for me).
Quote Reply