Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

An Unquiet Mind
Quote | Reply
A bunch of people in the weekly thread seemed to like this book when it came up so I thought I'd post about it and my thoughts. Be interested to hear other thoughts/perspectives on this book.

Background for my comments: Diagnosed Bipolar Affective Disorder with Psychotic Features. There is a chance that I am Schizoaffective (simply explanation: Bipolar + Schizophrenia, must have psychotic features outside of a mood episode) though the doctors tend towards Bipolar, I'm generally considered too 'high functioning' to be Schizoaffective. Have been having some issues lately which may prompt a re-examining.

The book - definitely an engaging read. Easily read in an evening.

It is interesting to read an account of Bipolar from someone who not only is Bipolar but who deals with the disease professionally.

She draws out very well her childhood with respect to setting up her BP dx, especially when discussing her father.

I don't think any of my mood swings are nearly as bad as hers were (I would say the most prominent of my issues are my psychotic features), but there were a lot of things I could relate to, and it was nice to be able to read a book that was intelligent with respect to the medical side of the disease AND had the patient's perspective.

Some issues I have with the book:

-Lithium. HOLY fuck there are other meds other than lithium. She is OBSESSED with the damn stuff. Personally I fail to understand how lithium controlled her psychotic symptoms (which she makes reference to but does not talk about in depth, much to my disappointment) unless her psychotic features occurred only in the context of her mania, and then I could imagine that if the lithium controlled her mania it could by extension stop any psychotic features. Lithium is a mood stabilizer, NOT an anti-psychotic. I suspect lithium is still used as a 'frontline' BP med so perhaps so extensively discussing the lithium experience is useful but IMO she focused on it far too much.

-Why only the discussion of moods? I see lots of books on bipolar and they're always about mood swings....mood swings are the least of my concerns. I don't understand how psychotic features can be acknowledged as a part of the disease and then constantly glossed over (not just in her book). I was really disappointed that there wasn't any real discussion of this.

Interested to hear what other people thought about it.
Quote Reply
Re: An Unquiet Mind [Teags] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Which of the me's is me? The wild, impulsive, chaotic, energetic and crazy one? Or the shy, withdrawn, desperate suicidal, doomed and tired one?"

I'll give you the answer to this one but you'll have to do the rest of your homework by yourself. In her one words "a little of both, much that is neither......".
======================
[url=http://www.guardianinsurance.com.au/Insurance.aspx] Insurance |[url=http://www.guardianinsurance.com.au/Accident-Insurance.aspx] Accident Insurance
Last edited by: paripalu: Aug 16, 10 5:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As for lithium - it had JUST been approved for treatment when she started taking it - I think it was the only med available at the time she was diagnosed.

Agree on glossing over of the psychotic episodes but maybe it was just too private.

"Nothing was the Same" - her second book - also very good.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: An Unquiet Mind [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It wasn't the only medication though. Most if not all of the typical antipsychotics were in use at that time, though, unlike most atypicals I'm not sure they do double duty as an anti-psychotic AND mood stabilizer. Clozapine, the first atypical antipsychotic was in use in the 70s though whether it was used as a mood stabilizer again I can't say. I believe Clozapine was pulled from usage for awhile (it carries 5 black box warnings - serious/deadly side effects) in the 70s but it was known then, anyways.

Plus she published the book in the 90s and there were far more medications than simply lithium at the time, and as someone in the industry she'd be aware of them. AFAIK the anticonvulsants had started to be used for mood stabilization and the antipsychotic options were a lot wider.

The problem with glossing over the psychotic episodes is almost EVERYTHING on bipolar does it, despite them being a known part of bipolar. When people find out I'm bipolar they always have the 'oh you have mood swings' reaction and seriously - whatever. Big deal. JMO though, I know there are people who have issues with them. I just hate that discussions of bipolar are always so one-sided. I was talking with some people about this and us BP1's w/psychotic features usually stick with the schizos in terms of our experiences.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really enjoyed reading an Unquiet Mind as an undergrad. Thanks for the comments- I think I would enjoy it a second time through.

Re: Psychotic episodes - have you read 'Daughter of the Queen of Sheba" by Jacki Lyden? It is an account of Jacki's life with her Bipolar mother. It isn't as well written as Unquiet mind, and I didn't like it as much, but the major feature of the Mother's Bipolar were her psychotic episodes. In fact, when reading it, it's easy to confuse her disorder with Schizophrenia (or at least, an outsider's interpretation of schizophrenia).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
book rec - Madness by Marya Hornbacher.

As good as A.U.M., very different writing style, different perspective.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply