Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Amino Acid supplements?
Quote | Reply
Hey all- ladies (and gents)...

Just wondering how many of you take/have taken AA supplements? If so, when do you take them? Do they really help, and in what way have you noticed? I know the physiology of them and the obvious benefits (building blocks of protein/synthesis and all)... but do you think they're necessary if you're getting enough from your daily diet?

I'd like to know your thoughts!
Quote Reply
Re: Amino Acid supplements? [dupeetriclub] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was wondering the exact same thing a few weeks ago! I had a chance to talk with Chris Lieto about this because he recently has started marketing an amino acid powder that you put in your water bottles. I was definitely convinced and have started taking AA supplements every day. With all the time and energy that we all put into training I want to make sure that I am no deficient in anything! Check out his product: http://www.baseperformance.com/ and he also has a really good explanation of the purpose and importance of amino acids for endurance training.

Isaiah 40:31 - Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength, they will soar on wings like eagles, they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not grow faint.
Quote Reply
Re: Amino Acid supplements? [TriALCiS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would also look at what you eat in a day. If it is all junk, and processed, non organic, despicably raised beef, pork and poultry; then you are not getting the nutrients (amino acids would be part of this) that you need. I am not against supplements to some degree, but I have recently been questioning why we (americans) are so quick to pop a pill before modifying our diets to the best it can be for our bodies and lifestyles. Organic is expensive and less readily available--but visits to doctors and the cost of getting sick is WAY more. I definitely have been guilty of this (popping the latest, greatest supplement). I mean, if you eat cold cereal, pasteurized oj, coffee with half and half and commerical milk for breakfast; scarf a powerbar or two during training; have a Mandarin chicken salad at an Applebees type restaurant or a veggie sub from Subway; have some pita chips and hummus; then eat those premarked grilled chicken strips with regular rice and veggies, I would say that your nutrients, while at a fleeting glance might be seemingly good. But after looking closely at what is in the stuff, you would find yourself deficient. So you might need amino acids. If you, for the most part, eat lots of organic fruits and vegetables; organic free range eggs; wild caught NOrth American fish; free range organic grass-fed beef and poultry; raw dairy products, nuts and seeds; organic dark leafy greens; organic grains--you probably don't need any supplements. But with the dumbing down of consumer food products by the government in the name of public health safety we all might someday be forced to eat most of our meals in pill form to get the nutrients we need.

And as for protein (made up of long chain amino acids) think about chimps. They eat leaves and are able to push 4000 lb cars up hills. hmmmmm. How much protein do we really need?

leslie myers
http://www.foodsensenow.com
Quote Reply