Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Amenorrhea and the Pill....
Quote | Reply
Hi,
I have not had a period in >7months...I just saw my MD and got a bone density test, which showed osteopenia (I am only 29). I am not stupid or in denial so I will admit that my amenorrhea is secondary to low body fat %...I am ready to get my act together, gain some lbs and stop over-training...but my doctor wants me to go on the pill...I really want to get my period naturally, but not sure how realistic this is and as each month goes by without a period, am I doing more and more harm? Does anyone have advice for me? How does the pill affect performance? I am looking to be pretty competitive this year, and do not want the pill to screw with me...she recommended Apri. Thanks in advance. I will also post on regular tri forum. Thanks...
Quote Reply
Re: Amenorrhea and the Pill.... [hotfeet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i am having the same issues. I'm 28. My bone density is really low and I have a long history of stress fractures including a hip replacement as a result. My periods are rather far apart. They aren't as bad as yours, but they are still abnormal. I was on birth control for a long time which kept them normal, but now that i've stopped, they aren't.

Long story short, I feel that birth control pills are more like a bandaid than a solution. there is something else wrong. I'm little and light, but I don't have an eating disorder. I did a lot of lab work with a highly-recommended endocrinologist and found out that I have celiac disease (intolerance of gluten resulting in damage to intestines) and an intolerance of casein (milk protein). So, for my whole life I've been killing my intestines and not absorbing the nutrients I needed. I've cut out wheat and gluten-products as well as all dairy, and I supplement with a very high-absorbency form of Ca, D3, and silica. My doc also runs something called an NTX study, which is a urine test, on me every 3 mo to measure the rate of bone breakdown.

If you feel like you eat well and don't overtrain, I'd go see an endocrinologist for some lab work. I'd also mention any other symptoms you might have since endocrine issues can be multi-faceted. Feel free to PM me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would also put you on the pill to protect your bones. You can still work on the weight gain etc, but you need the estrogen NOW.

---

cat
Sponsored by Suntheanine, Lycored and Celadrin
http://www.lycored.com/web/content/library.asp http://suntheanine.com/Research.cfm http://celadrin.com/pages/studies.php
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't say anything about the medical aspect of all this, but I was on the Pill when I first started this triathlon addiction and had no problems whatsoever with training or performance (I was taking seasonale, which was great because I only got period once every 3 months).

I went off the Pill last summer and am now irregular at times and other times just have horrible periods. Haven't noticed any differences in performance at all. Unless it's a day when I have nasty cramping. I actually miss being on the pill, to be honest!

Not sure this helps, but definitely don't worry about performance changes, etc. from the pill. Sounds like it might be a good idea for you right now until you can get back into balance.

Emily

------------------------------------------------------------
Bra Diva
Find a sports bra that won't let you down!
www.BraDiva.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 I had two stress fractures and found out I had osteoporosis and had no period for
>1year. I had been on the pill for years and quite for years and started training a lot. My body fat is also low. They put me on Yaz and it is great. I see no difference in performance and I have periods now. They put me on a bone med and of course Vit. D and calcium which I had always taken. Now my bone density is almost normal range with 6 mo. of treatment. Do something now. Hope this helps. Good luck and take care of it and you will be fine. Best wishes!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FYI... I've researched this a bit and in the medical journals there is quite a bit of evidence to suggest that going on the pill or other estrogen (nuvaring,etc.), while it will make you have "normal" cycles, does little to protect against bone loss. The real protective factor seems to be getting up to a weight/caloric intake/whatever where you cycle normally. A lot of doctors will still put you on the pill because it makes everyone feel better about it, but there is really no bone protective effect.
Shannon
Quote Reply
Re: Amenorrhea and the Pill.... [p3chick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm wondering what bone med you are on? I have had my bone density tested after being on Depo for a # of years and drinking a LOT of caffeine (the only reasons the doc and I can come up with for my bone density being so low since I consume a lot of calcium/vit D etc..). My doc basically said I should just focus on not losing any more bone density (ie, I stopped depo and limit my caffeine intake), and implied there wasn't anything that could be done to improve the bone density.
Quote Reply
Re: Amenorrhea and the Pill.... [GhiaGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It depends on your age, too. After 30-35 or so you will not gain bone density.

What I've been told most recently about drugs like actonel and boniva are that over the long-term, they are finding that bones are becoming more brittle. Both my orthopedic and my endocrinologist did not want to put me on them.
Quote Reply
Re: Amenorrhea and the Pill.... [GhiaGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GhiaGirl-I am not on any meds, just Calcium 1500 and D 800...I do not drink caffeine other than what is in green tea (1 cup a day). Thanks for your input.
I am 29 years old...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did some reserach on this-an actual paper for school-since it is something I have dealt with. Apparently, most experts would agree that using the pill is just a mask for the problem. Mine is a combo of genetics (mom had it although she wasn't athletic), training, and low body fat. Lot of athletes get it. Very important to get some calcium.

Jolene Wilkinson
Triathlon Coaching http://www.pacificfit.net
Quote Reply