Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Aeropostle / Aerie Untouched Models campaign
Quote | Reply
Aerie, the bra and underwear part of Aeropostle, recently launched a site in which none of the models photos are retouched.
http://www.ae.com/aerie/

What do you think?

I don't think it's as good as the Dove ads that were running awhile back.
I DO think these models had the benefit of makeup and hair artists and good lighting.
I think these models seem to all be about the same size, and I think the campaign would be more powerful if they included some plus-sized models.
I guess I see this as "we took nice looking people and we didn't airbrush out their tattoos."

Step in the right direction I guess.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Aeropostle / Aerie Untouched Models campaign [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I watched the commercial of the attractive women who could show up on a reality show of "America's Next Top Model". What an ingenious way to keep advertising costs down-hire unknown talent and call them "real people"

Whatever; none of the women featured reminded me of the faces I see at the DMV...

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I suppose if you're comparing them to the Victoria's Secret ladies they have had less surgery and don't look trained+dieted to an astounding standard.

But they're flat-out beautiful girls. They're not representative, they're aspirational. It's the same old marketing story with the bar set a a couple notches lower than 'never in your dreams will you ever look this good.'
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All I can say is "don't see to many of those bodies at the gym."

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is way better than those Dove ads with the tubby chicks. Way better!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Step in the right direction I guess."

Welcome to the digital age. I can remember in the late 70's and early 80's when the fashion industry was taking 12 & 13 yr olds and doing them up to look older. They liked "the look" and a few of these photos even ended up on the cover of Cosmopolitan magazine. The fashion industry still has a long way to go as its still very dishonest, but every little step counts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The photos are almost a step in the right direction. Bring in all ethnicities, hair types, shapes, sizes and skin tones, then a full step will have been made.

Quote | Reply
Interesting blurb here. I thought after Iman, Noami Campbell, Tyra Banks, etc. the industry had really opened up, but apparently not.

http://www.collegefashion.net/...e-modeling-industry/
Quote Reply
Re: Aeropostle / Aerie Untouched Models campaign [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
Interesting blurb here. I thought after Iman, Noami Campbell, Tyra Banks, etc. the industry had really opened up, but apparently not.

http://www.collegefashion.net/...e-modeling-industry/
Interesting read but certainly a repeating tale of the truth. It is apparent there are very few black or asian models with their faces all over the place which is a shame. The fashion world does very little to celebrate the female body and look by not having models from various parts of the world. The girl in the Aerie pictures is brown and pretty and ironically, if she were any darker, had a scar on her abdomen and a hairy mole on her face, she would not have made the cut.

Quote | Reply
Quote:
The photos are almost a step in the right direction. Bring in all ethnicities, hair types, shapes, sizes and skin tones, then a full step will have been made.

Dove ads had that at least. Probably easier for them though as they're not selling clothes. Soap isn't a "look" thing.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tigerchik wrote:
Quote:

Dove ads had that at least. Probably easier for them though as they're not selling clothes. Soap isn't a "look" thing.

The Dove ads were great as they were well rounded however they were targeting middle aged women, not teens or those in their twenties.

Last edited by: travelmama: Jan 23, 14 20:06
Quote Reply
Re: Aeropostle / Aerie Untouched Models campaign [travelmama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm embarassed to say I've never noticed the racism of advertising. Thank you for pointing that out.

Quote Reply