Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Advice for flying with newborn
Quote | Reply
My wife and I are moving to Paris in July and we are flying out for a househunting trip on Tuesday(24th). We will be flying with our little boy who is 2 months old today.

Any advice/tricks to keep him calm during the flight? We have already been told to feed him during landing and take-off to alleviate inner ear pressure.

The good news is that my wife's company is sending us business class so that we will have plenty of room and a bassinet attached to the bulkhead.
Quote Reply
Re: Advice for flying with newborn [davec] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I always thought that was the easiest age to travel with a baby because they don't want to run around yet. As long as you have food & diapers you should be good. The only time it's bad at that age is if they start crying and you can't get them to stop. If that doesn't happen at home than it probably won't on the plane. A pacifier on a plane is always a good thing too.
Good Luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi- after having three kids and trying to still travel my recommendation would be to for sure to feed on the way up and down. Also to remain relaxed even with a crying newborn they can pick up on your tension. Bring some brightly colored books to read and have a host of songs to sing quietly, pictures of family so they can visually scan those and then just be real nice to your fellow passengers. Bring the appropriate dosage of tylenol/ motrin just in case they do have pain. If you go in nervous it'll go south pretty quickly. Good luck!!!

COtrimom

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We flew with our daughter for the first time when she was 2 months old. I wore her in the baby bjorn and she slept and/or nursed pretty much the entire flight (about 4 hours, I'm sure yours will be longer). As others have said, nursing/feeding while taking off/landing should help with the pressure in his ears, and make sure to have several pacifiers handy (if he takes them) as invariably they will end up on the floor at some point. The only other thing I can say is if you think you might need 2 extra outfits, bring at least 5 - diaper accidents happen at the worst-possible times, I've found! Oh, and use hand sanitizer constantly - our little one ended up in with a head cold a few days after flying. Have fun, I think you're at the perfect time/age for a long flight. I don't think I would dare do that with my 20 month old right now (she has two speeds, sleep and fast forward!).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A friend of mine did something that I thought was simply brillant...

when flying with his newborn he and his wife bought a bunch of earplugs (in the little plastic bags) and attached a piece of paper that had the baby's picture along with something along the lines of "This is my first plane ride and I'll try to keep it quiet but just in case I don't I'm really sorry." He then had the flight attendants put them on all the seats surrounding them a few rows ahead and behind so that when the passengers got on board the earplugs were already there. It didn't necessarily help keep the baby from being fussy/uncomfortable on the flight but he said it did buy them a tremendous amount of goodwill from their fellow passengers.

http://smallfoodbiz.com
</blatent self-marketing>
Quote Reply
Re: Advice for flying with newborn [lilpups] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is brilliant! I wish parent's of toddlers would do the same.
Quote Reply
Re: Advice for flying with newborn [QRgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, apparently when said newborn threw a massice fit two years later (as only two-year olds can) on a flight and literally screamed herself part way across the country he stood up part way through her fit and offered to buy anyone who had a layover at the next airport a drink at the bar. Not sure that anyone took him up on it but he said people seemed to be a lot more sympathic to him after that. :)

http://smallfoodbiz.com
</blatent self-marketing>
Quote Reply