Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Acne post Ironman?
Quote | Reply
It's been three days post IM Lake Placid and my face started breaking out like crazy yesterday. LIke 30 whiteheads forming in the past 24 hours. What is this about? Have others experienced this? I washed my face the morning of and after the event. How should go about getting ride of it? I have never broke out like this before (one or two zit max), even as a teen... help!!
Quote Reply
Re: Acne post Ironman? [keepcalmswimon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've never experienced it, but it's probably from the stress you put on your body that caused hormones to fluctuate. Doing an Ironman is a very stressful thing for the body. I'd just keep washing your face and and take some time to relax and try to eat healthy (very hard to do after an IM-at least for me!). If it doesn't go away by the end of the week maybe see a doctor.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to get horrible breakouts after long races or rides. I think it was a combination of stress, sweat, sunblock, dirt, and smearing Gu all over my face- lots of yummy sugar for bacteria!

I learned to always clean my face ASAP after a ride or long run- I even carry Basis face wipe cloths in my jersey in case I get Gu/energy drink on my face now. I highly recommend them (order on Amazon).

I've been using a Clarisonic Mia face scrubber thing for about 6 months and it is really amazing- hardly any breakouts and my pores even look smaller and less noticeable. If I start to feel things erupting I give my face a good long scrub and it seems to be all better in the morning.

good luck!

-L
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
that happened to me right after my first ironman. Even when I got back to the hotel that night, my forehead was covered in tiny whiteheads. It was icky.

Even though you wash before and after, you're spending 10-16 hours pouring god knows what on yourself, riding with your helmet, running with your hat, adrenaline, stress. It adds up. Mine went away pretty quickly (like the next day) so just keep using a good facial cleanser and moisturizer, and maybe an acne spot treater if needed.

Congrats on finishing!
Quote Reply
Re: Acne post Ironman? [SpicedRum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Definitely hormones. After big endurance events, it is supposed to take a few weeks for hormones to go back to baseline. My hair falls out, I get depressed, my appetite is all over the place and other weird things happen.

Totally normal!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on your race!

Your breakout, like others said, might be a combo of hormones and dirt. I don't break out, but I can get a cold sore after a race or a really taxing long workout. My dr said it's the stress and hormones. Also your body is at an increased risk of infection because it's so tired. Maybe that can correlate to your breakout.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats Ironman :)

Buy the Aveda, On the Spot Acne treatment. Everything will be gone in a day or two.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes! My face is breaking out like crazy! Actually - even worse- breaking out AND dry/peeling - lovely :) haven't had breakouts in years... Am hoping once my body figures out the race is over it will get back to normal. Might go seek out the Aveda thing today.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had some problems this year. We've been training, getting a house on the market (lots of dust from installing new flooring), planning a wedding and I am experiencing Menopause. So, I guess all of that brought it on. I had bumps all over my face and more just kept cropping up. I was envisioning being a 49 year old bride with acne .

I bought some of this stuff and used quite a bit of it initially. I did peel a bit, but it cleared everything right up. Now I just put a very small dab on if I feel a bump coming on.
http://www.amazon.com/...;keywords=adult+acne

If you are taking any supplements, check for Iodine content. If I take multi-vitamins with Iodine in them, I break out badly.
Quote Reply