Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Abnormal mammogram has sidelined my Ironman race
Quote | Reply
I recently have been posting the menopause post about my perimenopause and how it has been affecting my training. So I wrote I was having my annual exam with my OB and was given a thumbs up on everything and the only pending thing I had was my mammogram exam. Well I went to it two weeks ago and had it done. I patiently waited for my doctor to call back and say I was ok but instead got a call back from the imaging center and I needed to go back and get more test done. After getting my boobs squished and pulled and flatened out soo many times and getting an ultrasound to look at the dark spots that came out on the first mammogram I got another call today. It was my doctor, first I thought thank God she is going to say everything is ok. Well no, she said I need to go back for a ultrasound guided needle bioposy. So. Monday I will have the biopsy done and hope that it will be ok. So after all this I have decided not to race IMAZ because of stress, nerves and all the mess going inside my head right now. I know its still weeks away but the last two months and last two weeks have been stressful and now this I cant even concentrate on training and moving on with the race. If any of you have gone through this any advice would be helpful and encouraging.
Quote Reply
Re: Abnormal mammogram has sidelined my Ironman race [spintela] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've had a "not quite normal" mammogram, but nothing that warranted a biopsy.

Sending you good vibes that everything is OK.

Maybe take a wait an see on the race, or not...do whatever feels right to you!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My hopes for health are with you. DO NOT GIVE UP- not on yourself, and not the race. It may be what helps distract you from things you can not change. Keep training, at least at some level and see what the next few weeks brings.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A lot of biopsys are negative for cancer (more than are positive for cancer). Radiologists have to err on the side of caution, unfortunately, because if there is something suspicious, you wouldn't want to keep watching it with follow up exams in case it is cancer.
If it were me, I wouldn't bag my IMAZ plans until after you get the biopsy results. If it's negative, then you would have cancelled your race for 'nothing' (which I am putting in quotes because obviously, your stress and stuff is not really 'nothing.' But if it is not cancer, and you are cleared....wouldn't you feel bad on race day if you cancelled?

Get the biopsy as soon as possible. Sending good vibes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Keep training and keep the race on the calendar. You have no idea what will come out of this. If nothing else the exercise will help with the stress.

Stay positive. We'll all be thinking of you.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: Abnormal mammogram has sidelined my Ironman race [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SallyShortyPnts wrote:
My hopes for health are with you. DO NOT GIVE UP- not on yourself, and not the race. It may be what helps distract you from things you can not change. Keep training, at least at some level and see what the next few weeks brings.
This!

Quote | Reply
Thanks all for your kind support I will keep training but still not sure about the race. My focus is just not there. Will keep you posted on how things go on Monday.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll go against the tide. :) You know yourself best and know what will work for you. Do what you have to do, but let us know about the results Monday. I'll be thinking of you here.

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm sorry to hear about this.

I went through something very stressful and also put aside training and racing in favor of dealing with the emotional impact. I can honestly say I'm glad I did. But I do wish I'd gotten back on the training wagon sooner. My advice is to not officially withdraw, wait and see how Monday goes to make any final decisions. Take the next couple days off then go from there.

I hope this turns into nothing and you can breathe a sigh of relief. Let us know how it went.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: Abnormal mammogram has sidelined my Ironman race [JenSw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am new to the forum-
but I saw this post & just had to say something-

I too had to have a biopsy for an irregular mammogram. I am only 30 years old and I have a 2 year old; It was SO nerve-wracking. I found myself not wanting to train and spend more time with my son & family, so I totally get it. Just don't get ahead of yourself! I had my eulogy written and my life insurance policy out a week before the results came back! Keep training the best you are able, that way if everything is fine (you are in my prayers!) - you will not have regrets.

***jgb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ladies I took your advice and decided to go ride my bike today. Took the train from San Diego to Capistrano and rode back. There were moments that my mind did drift into thinking about Monday but I just pedaled harder to forget about what I was thinking and just concentrate on riding my bike. Thanks for all your support.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
that all sounds good. Hang in there. I am a big fan of intense workouts for taking your mind off stuff :-)

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi,

As others have posted, I would recommend keeping training and keeping the race on the agenda, unless of course your physical health makes it not possible. Both my mother and my boyfriend's mother had breast cancer diagnosis' a few months apart. While these two woman are very different, they both approached their diagnosis in the same way with the attitude that it would not stop them from carrying on life as normal as possible. Both took diagnosis and treatment in stride. Yes, there were emotional episodes but the general attitude was I can control this or it will control me and I'll be damned if I let anything push me around. That strength was instrumental in getting them through treatment.

A decade later my mother had the same attitude when instead of her 10 year all clear she had the following conversation with her doc .... Doc "I'm afraid the results are positive. We recommend a double mastectomy. We can fit you in for surgery in the last week of June". Mum "June? That's not going to work. I'm going on holiday to the US in July. Let's do the operation in August when I return". That trip to the US was to spectate IMLP, my second IM. Doc confirmed that she was not at a significant increased risk by delaying surgery for 6 weeks, so she came to the US as planned, had a great vacation and then returned to NZ for surgery.

At this stage, you have an abnormal result, which may or may not be something that will need further attention. Nothing you do now will control the results of the biopsy. In the words of Michael J Fox, don't worry about what may happen as if you imagine the worst case scenario and it happens, you lived it twice. As hard as it may seem to be, keep getting out there if you physically feel up to it. Focus on the health and fitness you have and take enjoyment and comfort from what your body can do today.

And fyi, I know it is easier said than done so to put it in perspective, I'm currently waiting on results from some biopsies myself that won't come in for several more days. If I have to face a cancer diagnosis I will, and hopefully with as much courage and strength as my mum. But unless/until the doc utters those words, I'm not dwelling on what could be, only what is. Which is my case is a long run tomorrow as I build towards my next race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FWIW had a needle biopsy for a suspicious lump that turned out to be nothing. It was mega stressful until I found that out, so I feel your pain. Keep training; it'll help your stress level. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i'll echo what the others have said - don't give up.

even if your training focus isn't really there, racing is amazing therapy. i raced 6 days after my dad passed away suddenly in a motorcycle accident. i raced 3 weeks after breaking my wrist. i may very well be racing again on sunday (which will be 5 weeks after the broken wrist). i don't have to be fast - i just have to feel the amazing energy of race day around me to forget about the problems life can bring and just give'er.

i wish you the absolute best possible outcome and many happy race days to come!

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
Thinking of you today and sending good vibes!

Betsy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As everyone else has said, definitely thinking of you today & sending happy, healthy thoughts.

I definitely use my training as a distraction now, but spent the past year & a half not being an athlete & letting all the bad stuff/chaos eat me away. I second the "do what you feel is right" opinion.

As I now find myself amidst chaos again (not health related, but career & financial) with a big race looming, I've been far more validated by taking THE.ONE.THING that I can control (my training & my attitude towards it) and relishing every second of it. I may not be good at sales or have enough money to pay all my bills, but I am NOT a failure in the pool and NO ONE can take that away from me. I've used it as my self-confidence, my rock, my steady presence throughout this year and it's really showing off now in my times.

The ONLY reason I've probably been able to do this is that looming big race, the 10mi swim coming up in 2wks.

I hope you're able to find solace. Moreover, I hope solace is COMPLETELY unnecessary after the results. Thinking of you girlfriend!

AW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hoping for the best for you today!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am back home from my biopsy and it looks like I will get an answer in 3-5 days. Procedure was not painful at all. The doctor was super nice and the nurse was very helpful and gave me tons of information and really after she finished I did not have a single question to ask. All I know now is that I have a solid lump on my right breast and it is at 10 o'clock. They did 4 biopsies and one more mammogram to look at where they left a spotter, tag or something to help find the suspicious lump. Anyways, thanks all for the replies and looks like no swimming, running or cycling today. Maybe tomorrow if my breast is not too swollen and tender.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
spintela wrote:
I am back home from my biopsy and it looks like I will get an answer in 3-5 days. Procedure was not painful at all. The doctor was super nice and the nurse was very helpful and gave me tons of information and really after she finished I did not have a single question to ask. All I know now is that I have a solid lump on my right breast and it is at 10 o'clock. They did 4 biopsies and one more mammogram to look at where they left a spotter, tag or something to help find the suspicious lump. Anyways, thanks all for the replies and looks like no swimming, running or cycling today. Maybe tomorrow if my breast is not too swollen and tender.

Thanks for the update and hoping for the best!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm glad it went smoothly and I'm not hoping but assuming you will get a good result.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glad it went as well as it could. That will be a long 3-5 days. :-(

Take care and let us know how it goes.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hoping you go the news you wanted this week. Hugs going out, 3,2,1....(((hug)))
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Today I got the good news from my doctor and I am happy to say that all the worrying turned out to be nothing. Well, I do have a lump in there but its not the C word. So, for right now there is a marker that was left inside my breast to check on site and growth and I will be needing regular mammograms to check it out but for right now I am home free. I still am not doing IMAZ even though its still a couple of weeks away I am just happy to be ok and want to enjoy some time off stress free and turn off the full on IM training mode for 2012. Lets see for 2013 and what races I can still do. Thanks for all the support and encouragement you guys are great!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
spintela wrote:
Today I got the good news from my doctor and I am happy to say that all the worrying turned out to be nothing. Well, I do have a lump in there but its not the C word. So, for right now there is a marker that was left inside my breast to check on site and growth and I will be needing regular mammograms to check it out but for right now I am home free. I still am not doing IMAZ even though its still a couple of weeks away I am just happy to be ok and want to enjoy some time off stress free and turn off the full on IM training mode for 2012. Lets see for 2013 and what races I can still do. Thanks for all the support and encouragement you guys are great!

Oh YAYAYAYAYAY!!! that IS good news!

Quote Reply

Prev Next