Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

A week in Oahu
Quote | Reply
We (husband and I) are off to Oahu for a week this coming Friday. Any suggestions as to what we should do/see/ where to shop/eat etc.
Quote Reply
Re: A week in Oahu [ADC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm sure PirateGirl will chime in for ya, but in the meantime there was a thread about Oahu in the Lavender a little while back that you should go search for because iirc there was a lot of good info in it.
HAVE FUN!!

Quote | Reply
Get out of Waikiki and Honolulu and hit other parts of the island. Great resaurants, great snorkeling spots along the North Shore, much more laid back. We were there in October, stayed in Kailua and loved both it and the north shore. Very relaxing! We ate lunch at one of the shrimp trucks on the north shore one day - hope you like Garlic!! Think it was Giovanni's shrimp truck. Have a great time!

Harry: "I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this."
Loyd: "I was thinking the same thing. That John Denver's full of shit, man."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been a tour guide for my best friend and his wife the last week so I can hopefully be of some assistance. I could go on and on, but I'll list a few things they seemed to enjoy. I would also suggest getting the blue guide book by Andrew Doughty, it's pretty good and where we got most of our info when we moved here.

1. Come to Lanikai...I live here and it is awesome. The beach is great and you can rent a kayak and go out to the Mokulua Islands. Also, the Lanikai pillbox trail is one of the best on the island and never crowded. Amazing view. Have lunch at the green deli or Buzz's.

2. Circle island trip...Start in Kaneohe and go counter clockwise. Have lunch in Kahuku at Romy's Shrimp truck. Stop for pictures at laie point. There's a million scenic spots over here. Once you turn toward North Shore, you should be able to watch some great waves. Big swells this time of year and we got to watch surfers on 20 footers last week. Stop at Ted's bakery in Sunset for chocolate haupia cream pie. Take a left up Pupukea Road at the Foodland, and then another at the very top. This is probably the best view of Northshore. When you come back down, continue the same direction toward Haleiwa town. Don't leave without getting some shave ice from Aoki's (the best) or Matsumoto's (what everyone says is the best). Depending on what time you start, North Shore is a great place for a sunset.

3. Dinner picnic at Puu Ualaokua Park...this park is up round top drive and basically sits on top of Honolulu. Best to start a half hour or so before sunset (5:20ish). At the top of the park road, go left to the scenic overlook. Walk past the overlook to a grassy hill in front. Our friends really liked this one.

4. Makapu'u Point...pretty easy walk/hike up the side of a hill to several scenic overlooks. At the top, continue on the unpaved section to the bunkers, these have a great view. This is also great for whale watching, we saw a few here last week.

5. Kokohead stairs...about 1200 railroad ties that form steps straight up the side of a mountain. You feel like you're on top of the world up there.

6. Island Hop...if you leave early and catch a late flight back, you have plenty of time to tour another island. We went to Maui yesterday morning and did the road to Hana (my favorite place on Earth) and got to swim in the waterfalls at 7 sacred Pools (O'hea Gulch). Dinner on the beach in Kaanapali and then a late flight and we where back on Oahu. You could also do Volcanoes National park via Hilo or the North shore of Kauai.

7. Standard issue but great...diamond head, Pali lookout, pearl harbor, manoa falls trail, I could name 50 more. Of course you can also just sit on the beach in Wakiki and still have a great time! Let me know if you want to see pictures of anything or need restaurant recommendations. Nick
Quote Reply
Re: A week in Oahu [rexcoltrain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, this is awesome stuff. Thank you so much for writing all this down. I will make sure it si printed out and ready to go. As far as the restaurants and places to eat go, we just want to experience a real Oahu stuff, i.e. not your typial touristy places but where the local people go.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Heya - you forgot to mention the little marathon you'll be running this weekend!

As for restaurants - Irifune on Kapahulu, just up from Waikiki, is a must. it's byob, so go prepared! Others that are fun are Duke's (touristy, but even locals go and love it!) and I really like the Olive Tree near Kahala Mall.

I second Koko Head Stairs - you're going to have to email me if you're headed for it, I live right there. But coming down will hurt the post-mary quads big time. Hanauma Bay at sunrise is awesome - turtles etc, great snorkeling and no crowds. Don't bother going after 9am, when the tour buses start dropping people.

There's a swim group Tuesday morning at the Natatorium that Maggs and I both frequent.. 6:45 am. come say hi!

Rachel
Quote Reply
Re: A week in Oahu [runlikeamother] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's a swim group Tuesday morning at the Natatorium that Maggs and I both frequent.. 6:45 am. come say hi!

I wonder if anyone there remembers what I look like...it's been so long!

ADC-

Seriously come join us swimming. There will be some post marathon swimmers there on Tuesday, and it will be my first Tuesday back in while.

And I third Koko stairs. Though, NOT before the marathon. The hike up is okay, the hike down will give you sewing machine leg.

In the shopping center at Koko Marina is Kona Brew Pubs "Koko Pub" Great food, beer and atmosphere. My favorite place to eat after hiking the crater.

Quote Reply
Re: A week in Oahu [PirateGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just wanted to say thank you guys for all the great advice. We've done pretty much everything you suggested and our favourite was Koko Head stairs. Really loved it. Leaving tomorrow so some time left for scuba diving and shopping.
Quote Reply