Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
A rant on pink t-shirts
Quote | Reply
I want to support women's running, and more generally women's rights, health care and social/cultural equality. One easy local way to do that (I thought) was to do (give my money to) an all women's race in my town, where some proceeds go to a women's shelter.

However, it appears that the focus of the event is not about the women's shelter- it's throwing a princess party for adult women. There will be hot pink shirts for the runners, the volunteers. There will be a dress-up booth where you can get your picture taken. There will be fun pink signs with fun quotes like "I run so that I can eat chocolate" out on the race course. I have very mixed feelings about this. There is a fine line between embracing a stereotype, and conforming to one. I ask myself, what is more effective- promoting women's sports and/or health by a hosting a GIANT SCENE of sparkles and pink trinkets, or doing so in a less outlandish, more dignified manner? I don't know the answer. Maybe you have some insight.
Maybe the event is NOT about promoting women's health, and it is just a Princess Party for adults- is there anything wrong with that? I guess not. I just get so frustrated when there are opportunities to make a difference- raise awareness about women's rights and health, both in the US and abroad, and it's so dumbed down by all this pink-OMG-I-am-a-princess shit.

Lastly, do women runners really, actually like hot pink things? Am I the only one who doesn't want anything to do with my Barbie-inspired goodie bag? Should I have just donated my $30 to the women's shelter and skipped the event? I'm starting to think so.

Do you have similar events in your town? Do you wish you did? Has anyone had an extremely positive (or negative) experience at an all-women's event? Better yet, does anyone know of an all-women's event that is not flooded in hot pink?

Quote Reply
Re: A rant on pink t-shirts [npda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My first tri was an all-women's tri. It was fantastic for a newbie to get their feet wet in the sport. Definitely was much more low-key than what you're describing, but tons and tons of support throughout the entire race.

Personally, I would skip this race as that kind of thing doesn't appeal to me, but if the race directors want to do it and think that it's a good thing, then I have no problem with it. I think most people understand that not all women are princesses.

If you feel so passionately about it, then maybe you need to put on your own race? :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well...I see both sides of this one. I agree that the charity should be first and foremost - but if its working and they're attracting a lot of participation, maybe its a good thing and a sign that women in the area do like pink/girly "stuff"?

I've done several women-only triathlons and I've found them to be a lot of fun and very refreshing. Good competition, yet not big egos. I found it nice (yet somewhat funny) that people were apologizing for bumping into each other during the swim. There was definitely alot of pink at these events, but nothing too overboard.

I personally like pink and other girly colors, but I know that not all women do. I suppose one option might be to offer participants a choice between say the hot pink shirt and maybe a white, gray or black one at the time of registration? Though that does cause a logistical nightmare.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It sounds like marketing to get people to do the event - and if it's "working"...
but I can dig your feelings. It does sound over the top. I don't need that much 'pink princess' in my life. I've never been a 'girly girl'...

Let us know what happens during and how you feel after the event. Maybe it's not so bad?
See how some of the others react.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I won't let anything pink touch my bike. ;-)

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like pink shirts and race a 70.3 in a pink tutu every year. I'm that girl.
I guess you lived and learned, and learned that you don't enjoy those types of events - which is okay. Maybe your idea about just giving money to the cause and not participating would make more sense for you in the future.

Also, how do you know it was "dumbed down" by all of the pink for everyone? My guess is that someone in the target audience was attracted to the pink/women's-only nature of the event and ended up donating money they wouldn't have otherwise. Isn't that the point? It's just marketing. Tactics work on some people and not others.
Last edited by: lisac957: Mar 20, 12 14:55
Quote Reply
Re: A rant on pink t-shirts [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri3 wrote:

I have a custom painted pink Cervelo....

And lots of pink clothing.

To each, her own.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
be thankful that some of the proceeds goes towards the shelter. It's not always the case. And more and more it's not the case, not even for women's only events. They are just money making events for the people who put them on.

And I don't like pink either.
Last edited by: GhiaGirl: Mar 20, 12 15:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have done only one pink party and was not amused because there was too much "girl power" floating in the air for my liking. If a pink party is around to raise money for a local charity, I am all for it but think, rather than running/walking around in such colors, awareness and hands on volunteering should be made. Women are in shelters for various reason who need a friend more so than others getting dolled up on their behalf.

Quote | Reply
I love pink & I wear it all the time! In fact, I am an Administrator at a outpatient surgical center & probably 50% of my "work" clothes are also pink oriented. ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: A rant on pink t-shirts [trackie clm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is the bike I get the most compliments on.

---------------------------------------
Awww, Katy's not all THAT evil. Only slightly evil. In a good way. - JasoninHalifax

Quote Reply
Re: A rant on pink t-shirts [Katy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's a sweet old school ss, just so happens to have some pink... I'm not convinced!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Indy Fab? Nice ride.
Quote Reply
Re: A rant on pink t-shirts [jimmy d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Spot Brand. And thanks, its probably my favorite bike. But my new DH bike is on its way so....

Awww, Katy's not all THAT evil. Only slightly evil. In a good way. - JasoninHalifax

Last edited by: Katy: Mar 21, 12 15:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spot! Cool. Don't see many of those any more. It's a keeper.
Quote Reply
Re: A rant on pink t-shirts [AZtri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your input.

My original post was not a rant against choosing pink as a color to wear, or to decorate your bike with. Please, wear your tutus and pink outfits if it makes you feel good.

It is a rant against what, apparently, pink symbolizes in the business (scene) of all-women's racing. Or at least, this event in particular.

15% of the proceeds go to the shelter. The rest walks away in the pocket of the woman putting on the event. It is true that nonprofit events are basically extinct, and at least there is some charity involved.

The race is Sunday and I am going to keep an open mind and report back.

Thanks again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like pink when it's for sarcasm.

I would address your comments, anonymously or not, to the RD after the race (in a letter, not race day) and point out that you would hope a larger percent of the donated $ could go to the shelter rather than the "party activities."

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: A rant on pink t-shirts [jimmy d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Spot! Cool. Don't see many of those any more. It's a keeper.

What do you mean? Spot is still making bikes. Their 29ers are pretty awesome with the belt drive.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I mean I don't see many of those any more! I know they're still around. The original guy is apparently building bikes out of Squamish now. I think he may have also worked with Chris Dekerf before. I saw him at Dekerf's shop a couple of years ago. Nice guy.
Anyway, back to your 26 SS bike. Very cool. I hope you hang on to it. The 29 er craze may be giving way to the 650 B craze sooner rather than later. One day, our 26 HTs may be fashionable again. It's all good, though. Whatever gets people out on bikes more.
I am intrigued by the belt drives. I've seen a few up close, but I haven't ridden one. The low maintenance aspect is appealing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is one sweet bike.

When it's good, it's good. When it's bad, you suffer.
Dan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I helped co-organize a fundraiser to raise money and awareness for a family violence shelter in Northern Canada.
Originally, it was meant to be an all-female group of cyclists riding 1200 miles from Yellowknife to Edmonton.
We had a lot of discussions about our branding, colour-selection, etc. It was felt that purple was more the colour that could be associated with the cause.
In the end, money talks. So, if having a princess party raises the most money in that setting, so be it. In SF, having studly men in nice suits handing out Tiffany necklaces at the end of the marathon certainly helps the event sell-out every year!
In our case, with an extreme event in a smaller, remote community - opening up the event to male participants helped us leverage our ties in the community to allow the most fund-raising.
You can see the design my friend put together for the event on our website banner http://www.freedomcycleyk.com/
I thought her design was a very beautiful and elegant way of capturing the cause (I love her stylized representation of the Northern lights...) - with just hints of pink and purple...
We ended up raising over $60k directly for the women's shelter.
Quote Reply
Re: A rant on pink t-shirts [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri3 wrote:

if it's good enough for zdenek stybar, pink should be good enough for anyone ;D

Quote Reply
Re: A rant on pink t-shirts [tegra] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tegra wrote:
Tri3 wrote:

if it's good enough for zdenek stybar, pink should be good enough for anyone ;D

AGAIN:: this is not a rant against pink being "good enough" as the color of choice for you bike/accessories/clothing!

It is a rant against how pink is marketed to women athletes, and how this all-women's event is particular I was signed up for is flooded in hot pink and semi-lame promotional sayings on the website like, "I run for the cute t-shirt" and "water proof mascara is OMG awesome" and "I run to impress the boys." I was curious if ALL all-women's events are like that, in your vast experience.

UPDATE to follow!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
UPDATE!!!

Race was today.

I did it. It was a giant parade of pink. Pink balloons, pink mile markers and 95% of the field was dressed in pink. I just wore a white shirt and black shorts, and there were a few others "dressed down" like me too. Nobody gave me any bad looks for not wearing pink.

There were some fast women, I think two ladies broke 18min in the 5k. There were about 50% walkers. The race was very supportive of all speeds, shapes and sizes, which I can certainly appreciate. People cheered me on (and everyone on), although the ladies in butterfly wings and pink lingerie certainly got more hoots than I did. :) {< that was a semi-sarcastic smiley face, but indeed the outfits were....creative.}

The bright pink shirts were the hot item and very important to many of the racers. They were picked up at the end, and most women put them on right after. I gave mine to my friend's daughter. I just can't wear it, it's not me.

In the end, the energy of the event was very positive and it got a ton of people out there walk/running 3.1 miles who otherwise likely wouldn't have, which is a good thing.

I don't think I would do it again. Who I am is not someone who particularly enjoys being out there in the pink parade. But I can say I tried!

Final thought #1: I'm happy to say I have the choice- to never wear pink and never do another all-women's race again if that's what I want! Also happy that women who only want to wear pink and only want to do all-women's races also have a choice to do so if they please.

Final thought #2: Donating clothes this week to the women's shelter. Going to write to race director and suggest that next year she has bins for clothing donation to the shelter. There was virtually no mention of the shelter at the race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with you that the 'pink it and shrink it' approach to female athletes is sometimes a bit offputting, especially for those of us who don't care for the color (although I do have pink handlebar tape on my road bike) all that much.

I would have been offended at the embracing of sexist stereotypes ("Mascara is awesome" is just offensive), so it's not just you.

I've only been to one all female event and it wasn't even remotely like that. I think I would have just donated the money to the womens' shelter and skipped the princess party, but hopefully you'll have fun.

http://aclockworkmango.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next