Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

A Crazy Thought ~~ Is a Cane Illegal?
Quote | Reply
Dealing with four herniated discs and a bout of that spondyol ... stuff. Yeah it's getting better.

Here's a probably really goofy thought which would get all kinds of flamed in the regular forum. I'm wondering if using a cane on the run (well, trot) in a USAT sanctioned event will earn you a DQ. You can soup up a bike all you want, and you can cart lots of stuff with you on your waist, but could you haul out say a folding titanium cane to take the weight off your lumbar discs, if needed, and not be disqualified?

Just a crazy off the wall thought, and yeah yeah, I know.

~~ kate
Quote Reply
Re: A Crazy Thought ~~ Is a Cane Illegal? [dreaming~big] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry, can't answer your original question, but you should look into Aquabikes. There's a couple of them in our area. Great way to race without having to run. Another thought is to race in a relay, so someone else can do the run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
See if trekking poles are permitted - they really help reduce the impact, and a number of elite runners and xc skiers use them in training. You can get soft rubber feet for use on paved surfaces for most of them due to the surge in urban poling/nordic walking among the aging populace.

Not sure if it would result in a DQ, but worth asking!

Sorry to hear you're so banged up; hope your path to healing is short and smooth.

Cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
I like the trekking poles idea - and a super speedy look at some of the rules I didn't see anything regarding that type of thing.
http://www.usatriathlon.org/...isport/rulebook.aspx

Might want to just check with the race director.
Quote Reply
Re: A Crazy Thought ~~ Is a Cane Illegal? [DawnT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"you should look into Aquabikes"

I can see those in my future. I've never really liked running in comparison to the bike or swim so that's enough reason for me, but for the glucous amine crowd with bad knees, backs, etc they're also a viable alternative.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is the rule that I thought of with regards to your question:

k. Unauthorized Equipment. No participant shall use any equipment which the Head Referee determines to be improper, including but not limited to equipment which might provide an unfair advantage or endanger other participants. Unless otherwise provided for in these Rules, any violation of this Section shall result in a variable time penalty

I would ask the RD before doing any race and get the exception in writing.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with JenSW.

Sorry you're in pain :-(

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not crazy at all, but as others have suggested, might want to email the RD first, offer to provide medical documentation.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Forgive me for crossing into the Women's Forum - but I am also a USAT Cat 1 Official and I can assure you that the use of a cane and even trekking poles are completely legal in a USAT sanctioned race. As a courtesy you may with to mention this to the RD, but legally you do not need to. Hope this helps and good luck in your recovery.

Graham

Graham Wilson
USAT Level III Elite Coach
http://www.thewilsongroup.biz
Quote Reply
Re: A Crazy Thought ~~ Is a Cane Illegal? [feman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks everybody. This is very good news indeed!

I'll give up triathlons when you can pry the cane out of my cold, dead hands. :)

~~ kate
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are welcome here any time. Don't believe the rumors about having to give up your man card.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not goofy at all. Thought I should share this story from Norway.
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...%20crutches;#3849124

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for clarifying. It's really helpful to have an expert chime in :-)

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply