Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

1st "Women's" post- morning sickness help?
Quote | Reply
Actually, it's not morning sickness- seems to be in the afternoon/evening. This is our 2nd child- my wife had it for about 4 weeks the 1st time; I'm figuring another 2-3 weeks this time. Pretty classic symptoms- hyperaware of all smells (I'm not popular after a run), hungry but nauseous. Anybody have some tricks that might work? Thanks!

If I don't, who will? -Me
It's like being bipolar in opinion is a requirement around here. -TripleThreat
Quote Reply
Re: 1st "Women's" post- morning sickness help? [lunchbox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kidless here, but ginger is supposed to be a natural anti-nausea agent. Nature Brew makes a really good ginger ale.

Good luck to her...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Food. Not a lot, but something. Anytime I had a completely empty stomach I became very ill. Hence "morning" sickness, because you haven't eaten all night. but you're right, it's not just in the morning.

---------------------------------------
Awww, Katy's not all THAT evil. Only slightly evil. In a good way. - JasoninHalifax

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Qgirl is right...ginger. I lived on ginger snap cookies when I was pregnant. Do your best to keep strong odors away from her, and not just unpleasant ones. Air fresheners that I normally liked would make me sick. Also, anything to keep her from having to get up. I'm not sure how old your other child is, but you can prepare snacks and drinks that they can get for themselves while you are at work. Even a 2 year old can grab a bowl of fruit out of the fridge. Morning sickness is horrible!! Your wife is so lucky to have someone who cares. My ex husband used to smoke around me, but that's a whole other post.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with the others. Try ginger. You can get dried ginger that you munch on that should help.

I also agree with Katy. Try to keep something light in her stomach. I always got nauseous in the late afternoon/early evening as well. I had to make sure I had a light snack around 3:00 every day. Dry Cheerios or crackers helped me quite a bit. As did Ginger Ale.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have her give Sea Bands a try--they're acupressure wristbands sold at the drugstore, for motion sickness and morning sickness and other types of nausea. I wear them constantly and they do seem to take the edge off. There are hard candies called Preggie Pops that claim to reduce morning sickness--I find they help for a little while, but sour Jolly Ranchers work just as well for me. Eating very small amounts every 2 hours . . . ginger tea and cookies and crystallized ginger . . . saltines/bland crackers . . . For me, a little protein/fat is better than straight carbs, so peanut butter on saltines and yogurt have been lifesavers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Saltine crackers, pepperint candies and a lot of H20 is what worked for me. When I was prego with #2 we went out to dinner (I was being brave) at a Mexican restaurant. The table next to us ordered Fajitas---as they were walking them over, I had to BOLT out the door to get fresh air before I emptied my stomach all over our table. Morning Sickness is the worst. Lots of rest (pamper her as much as you can).

Quote | Reply
Eating small amounts every 1.5-2 hours worked for me. Healthy snacks and meals. Congrats on your second!
Quote Reply
Re: 1st "Women's" post- morning sickness help? [BPA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used the sea sickness bands too. I cannot recommend them highly enough. I could not even take them off long enough to shower without getting sick again. For me it was not "morning" sickness as well...all day sickness. I was so very sick with it and the bands took care of everything. I kept them and have worn them on a couple of cruises. Great invention.

Hope this helps.
:-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wheat thins and ginger ale seemed to do the trick for me. There were a few days where that was all I could consume.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I never had morning sickness but I would get nausea if my stomach was empty. So I would eat a lot!!
Quote Reply
Re: 1st "Women's" post- morning sickness help? [QRgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
but ginger is supposed to be a natural anti-nausea agent.

is this a female thing? I swear ginger for me has the exact opposite effect (tried it twice, never again)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks all! Ginger ale has helped. Honestly, the biggest help was straight-up anti-nausea medication. We had our 1st appointment yesterday, and they prescribed my wife some medication that is normally used for chemo patients. Total turnaround in about 3 hours. Today is 12 weeks, so we should be out of the weeds in another 1-2 weeks, IIRC from the 1st kiddo.

Our little girl is quite excited- she just turned 5, and REALLY wants a baby in the house- she wants twins, and I'd be OK w/ that; my wife however...

If I don't, who will? -Me
It's like being bipolar in opinion is a requirement around here. -TripleThreat
Quote Reply