Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
"The Womens" 2008 Goals Thread
Quote | Reply
In honor of Kittycat's thread on being lost and realizing that we all get lost from time to time, we are starting a weekly group to help motivate all of us to stick to our goals for 2008. We will have a weekly check-in on Mondays to talk about how we do each week. Everyone on this thread will have different goals, but the one thing we all have in common is working hard to attain those goals. Whether you're simply trying to get out to run a couple of times a week or you're trying to qualify for Kona, write your goals down and check in with us each week to stay on track.

I suggest you number your goals in order of priority. Make sure they're specific (for example, don't say you want to lose weight, say you want to lose 10 lbs by July 31st).

To start things off, here are my goals for 2008 (revised 7/21/08):

1. Run a minimum of 5 times a week, every week.

2. Break 4 hrs in a fall marathon. I really want to BQ (need a 3:50), but I don't think I can get there this year. I want to get as close as possible and I definitely thinking breaking 4 hrs is do-able.
No marathon for me this year. Instead I want to break 1:53 in a half marathon. This will be a good challenge for me. Still going long (love to run long), but short enough that I can concentrate on getting faster and not just going longer.

3. Lose 20 lbs by September 30, 2008.

4. Survive American Zofingen.
Now that I won't be slogging out the run miles, I want to do more than just survive AmZof. My training plan will now consist of more biking than I originally planned. Getting through the bike in reasonable condition will be the key to this race, so I've got to get some good legs on the bike before October.
Last edited by: DawnT: Jul 21, 08 7:50
Quote Reply
Re: "The Womens" 2008 Goals Thread [DawnT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok I'll go:

The thrust of my goals is to get back in shape, feeling strong and looking good after baby. So to that end, I want to:

1) Do 6 workouts/week. At least 30 minutes each, two in each discipline. (This is a minimum, if for example I find that I can run more with baby in stroller as he gets older, well, I'm up for that, too)

2) Lose 15 pounds by September 1

3) Starting on Saturday, May 10, one sprint tri each month, May - August, culminating with an olympic distance on September 1

I have limited time and desire to train, I want to be home more with the family, but I have found that being in shape and working out are important to me, both mentally and physically, since I haven't been doing much lately. My work/home schedule is evening out and I should definitely have time for this now. I look forward to feeling at least like I am somewhat back on my game by the time September 1 rolls around.

Thanks for starting this, Dawn!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like a great idea! And a good way to make me more accountable, which I could use right now!

1) Do the Ottawa Half Marathon (May 25) in 1:55

2) Be top 10 in my AG at the Peterborough Tri.

3) Lose 10 pounds by July 6 - I've lost 18 so far this year, which is great but have more to lose!
3B) Cut out junk food and diet soda - allow one small treat/week and that's IT.

4) Lose 10 more pounds by Sept 14.

5) Race my hardest at the Muskoka 70.3 and be proud of my effort.

6) Have FUN while training and enjoy even the sucky workouts!

In regards to 3B, I had hoped to already have a week or so under my belt of this but I lack willpower so I'm going to start as of right now. No treats or pop till NEXT TUESDAY and by then, I hope to not have the overwhelming craving for them and not have it at all :)

Looking forward to checking in and seeing how everyone else does.

Proud member of the Guru Cartel, EH!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was just having a discussion via email with one of my bike racing teammates and I said I'm not really sure what my goals are, aside from doing well on the track at the state and national championships.

#1 Goal: Improve body composition--decrease % fat. Number on scale not as important as %BF.

For May:
Run a minumum of 20 minutes every day.

On the track by September:
Upgrade to Cat. 3 on track.

For individual races--
* flying 200m: sub-13.5 (seconds)
* 500m: sub-43 (seconds)
* 2K sub-2:55

Bike racing:
Earn 1 point by the end of the season!

Tri:
Have to think about it for KS70.3 and Vineman 70.3

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: "The Womens" 2008 Goals Thread [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Short term:

1. Get on the damn treadmill tonight and do my speedwork and get it done in time to watch American Idol from the couch.
2. At least 3500y in the pool Wednesday
3. At least 3000y in the pool Thursday
4. Successful camp next week. All workouts with enthusiasm and get my nutrition right for the IM course ride on Wed.

EDIT: No afternoon cookies!

I have some big medium term goals over the next 45 days:

1. Hit every workout on my training schedule from my coach
2. Drop 5 lbs by June 22
3. Stay injury free by icing my knee and taking my anti-inflammatories
4. Set a PR at the Boise Half - doesn't have to be a lot
5. Set a PR at IM CdA - Sub 15 (but I won't say "or die trying", seems to be cursed)

Longer term:

1. Get my runner succesfully across the finish line at Badwater
2. Drop an additional 5 lbs by August 15th
3. Take care of any knee surgeries if necessary and hope not
4. If no surgery then a 50 miler late fall
5. Maybe sign up for IMMoo but only if my BFFs do! No more IM training alone!

Can you tell I'm goal oriented? Far too easy for me to drift and get fat :-)

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Last edited by: jenhs: May 6, 08 13:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My goals for 2008:

1. Come out of the water alive in my first Olympic Distance and be happy with my accomplishment instead of comparing myself to friends who were collegiate swimmers. Cap Tex, Austin, Tx, May 25

2. Complete and enjoy Squamish Triathlon in Canada. July 13th I live in a pancake flat area and the mountains will be a challenge.

3. Complete first half iron @ Timberman. August

4. Run a 50 mile trail race in January or under 4 hour marathon in Houston. (Either will make me happy.)

5. Quit three dessert a day sugar addition.

6. Appreciate my friends/training partners, and coach every day. They are the best!!

Writing them is further commitment. Great idea.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My goals for 2008:

1: Survive the TTT, well not only survive but improve my bike and run times.

2: Lose 10 lbs by Sept.

3: Actually complete the 2 1/2 Iron races that I have scheduled for later this season

4: Swim at least 3 times, Run 4 times and bike 4 times a week. and do my core stuff every morning.

5: Not be so grouchy when tapering or having shorter workouts

6: Remember why I do this and it is not my job :)

Chris

2015 Season: American TTT
Ironman Louisville.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmm

1) bike 3-4 times a week; swim 3-4 times a week and get to 15,000-20,000 yds a week; run 5-6 times a week including brick

2) Improve on the bike; be able to hold 19-20 mph on 1/2 im and 17-19 on IM (this is of course incredibly huge, but hey, AIM HIGH!)

3) have a good marathon, I just can't seem to put one together

4) do not gain weight next fall after September IM

5) there are some fantastic lady athletes I compete against. I consider them to be the cream of the crop locally. Trying not to sound like a you know what: beat one of them, just once!

Races:

5/31 Rock-n-Roll Man 1/2 IM
6/14 BB
7/13 Chattanooga
August- still up in the air
9/20 Redman Full IM

Tiger for Life -- War Eagle!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Okay, these goals are easy for me to put out there.

1. Take at least 10 days (2 weekends and the weekdays in between) off from anything triathlon after Honu. Surf, kayak, scuba dive and hike instead. I didn't do this after IMAZ and really wish I would have.
2. Weigh 125-130 on Oct 11. I have no idea what I weigh now since I skipped my last 2 Monday weigh ins, but 130 is my goal weight for Kona.
3. Make it to the start line injury free.
- Yoga once a week starting in June
- Stretching at least 2 x a week starting NOW
- Foam roller/trigger point daily starting NOW

This one, not so easy (I don't usually tell anyone my race goals until I know I can reach them, and I know setting time goals isn't the best thing to do, but it will keep me focused during training).

4. Under 11 hours in Kona. That means similar times to IMAZ, which means I need to get better/faster because the course is harder.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've made the thread sticky so it will stay at the top so we all can see it every day.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ironman, July: Make the bike cutoff.
Quote Reply
Re: "The Womens" 2008 Goals Thread [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Excellent! Thanks Cathy.

Keep 'em coming, ladies! I'll be cracking the whip come Monday to make sure y'all stay on track. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My goals for 2008:

1. Listen to my body as I recover from December 07 Femoral Neck Stress Fracture.

2. Strength training and yoga at least 1/week each to prevent new injuries/re-injury.

3. First Half Ironman- Pumpkinman in September

4. First marathon- NYC in November.

5. Not worry about times for above two goal races for this season- keep focus on staying HEALTHY and INJURY free so I can set myself up for a strong 2009 season!

www.loveofshoes.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have some sport goals and some non-sport goals, but I'll throw both categories out there! I think this is a great idea -- the first step to reaching your goals is writing them down!

1. TODAY, start writing again -- 30 minutes every day, and legal writing doesn't count!

2. Buy fresh flowers every week. They make me smile, so why shouldn't I have them?

3. By July 1, start violin lessons again. I played when I was young, then switched to cello, but I'd like to give the violin another shot -- my uncle keeps asking me when I'm going to play Orange Blossom Special for him!

4. Race my first sprint in at least 3 years on June 1. Accept my performance as a baseline -- nowhere to go but up!

5. Break 25 minutes in a 5K by September 1.

6. More generally, accept that workouts can (and will be) missed, blown off, completely forgotten, and no one will think less of me.

And that's enough for now!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dawn: GREAT IDEA! I'll play and be the underachiever of ST :) --

As I enter my 3rd year, my goals are limited. I'm only doing a couple races:
  1. Train for Olympic Distance using a training plan. (I've never done this before)
  2. See how it works out for the my Oly tri in August (compared to 1st Oly tri last August)
  3. Lift weights 2x per week through the summer. (I always drop it by June)
  4. Not gain weight
  5. Have fun
  6. STOP comparing myself to other uber athletes on ST :) :) :)

Currently I'm doing pretty good sticking to it. I'm in week 9 of a 12 week plan that has 3x for S/B/R and I'm pretty happy with my progress. Gonna wing it for a couple weeks before starting a 10 week speed plan I found.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Love it. Mine are modest as I'm still trying to get back my fitness:

Goals:
- Complete three sprint tris (UBC - done, North Shore in 2 weeks, and TBD in June or Sept)
- Complete two OLY tris (Squamish in July and Apple in Aug)
- Complete a 10k race and a 5k race in the summer
- Complete a fall half marathon (Victoria or Okanagan in Oct - I'd like to do a full, but I don't think that's realistic yet... :-( )
- Kick butt on leg #2 at the Haney-to-Harrison relay in Nov.

Booyeah! then in 09, it's IMC baby!

AP
----------------------

On a related note: I got this set of questions from Cathy. It's a good thing to reflect on the past, it helps up close it off and look forward. Here goes:

1. What one word describes your 2007 season? Does it match what you said last December in anticipation of this year?AP: Tiring. I was tired for the better part of the year, and it turned out to be my thyroid. I started medication in late August, so to get where I am now (after a year of fatigue) is pretty good. I should stop beating myself up and praise myself for sticking with it.
2. What one word comes to mind when you think about your 2008 season?AP: Improvement. Cuz it's gotta be better than 2007!!
3. Did you race any new distance this year or try any new type of racing or sport?AP: Nope. Only race I did was the Haney to Harrison. Not new at all. Would have if the 101's had run... dammit.
4. What was your greatest thrill or joy this year from training or racing?AP: Gals of ST camp in April.
5. What was your biggest disappointment this year from training or racing?AP: Not racing Halifax 101 or Woodlands 101. Out of my control tho (races canceled).
6. What was your favorite race in 2007?
AP: Haney to Harrison. It's the only race I did, but it *is* one of my favourites, so that's a good thing I think.

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
awesome to have this started; i think this is going to do a lot of good for a lot of people!

1. i'm not really sure on my goals in totality, but for now i know i want to exercise 4-5 days out of the week and get strong and leaner. i'd like to gain some muscle and loose body fat and get into size 6 jeans. now i'm teetering between 8-10.

2. eat during the day. sometimes i don't want to be bothered with eating, it just feels like a hastle to stop what i'm doing for the sake of food. but i know if i don't eat my metabolism will tank, so eating at least 3 meals a day is a good start. and a bowl of ice cream is not considered "dinner".

3. drink water. so far i've really made alot of changes. i don't drink, don't smoke, reduced coffee, and generally keep it pretty clean. but water is the thing that cells need, and i could use more of it.

4. feel positive, not negative because i'm not racing. working out 4-5 times a week is a great starter goal, and just because "this time last year i was riding 100's" doesn't mean i'm a slacker or a loser. i need to keep it real and remember that i'm busting my ass and have lots to celebrate.

5. make time to go to the gym twice a week. and sit in the steam room because it's good for stress. so, 2 of the 4-5 workouts need to be at the gym. this is a nice "get away" for me and offers an environment of lots of exercise options. it's a good thing.

6. train jess for her big hiking trip. training her trains me, plus we get to hang out. this will be a part of #5 for the 2 times at the gym, this is something i can do with a partner which will make it even more rewarding.
Last edited by: kittycat: May 6, 08 17:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here goes:

1. Finish the NYC Tri strong
2. Train for and complete IMFL while starting school for my DPT
3. Set a PR in a Sprint Tri this July
4. Fly through the Army 10 miler in October
5. Finally get down to my "race weight" by IMFL ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So, let me preface this with the fact that I am pretty slow so my goals may look like I am slacking but I have to bust my ass every step of the way. I just PR'd a marathon by going under five hours -- this was a 30 minute improvement over the last one in November. So off to a good start.

1. Finish Bay Swim in under 3 hours -- last year I went 3:20 due to a total melt down at mile 4.
2. Finish HIM under 7 hours. (Morgantown, WV). My first HIM was a little over 7 but I know I can do better.
3. Finish OLY under 3 hours. (Pittsburgh, PA). My last one was 3:04. So close, dammit. Must get there!
4. Ride at least 3 century rides, and run off the bike after at least one of them.
5. Finish IMFL. No time. Just finish the f-ing thing. (My first IM.)

Losing 10 pounds would be nice but right now my focus is on:
-avoiding a lot of processed crap. Oh you fat free pringles, you dirty little bastards, stop calling my name at the grocery store. Just about the nastiest product on the shelf, and I can eat the whole dang can.
- cutting back on diet soda. Not more than a few per week (rather than a few per day).
- not freaking out and eating everything in sight after a long, hard workout. Did okay after the marathon so off to a good start on this one already. This is a one-day-at-a-time goal for me that I will have to work on ALL year, since this is my major downfall. I must renounce Ben and Jerry.

-Sarah
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Okay, you ladies have inspired me - I'm in!

1.) PR at Lake Stevens (the bar isn't terribly high on this one, my previous "best" is 8 hours at Pacific Crest... )

2.) Follow my training plan and not blow it off for stupid reasons (schedule mis-haps, something hurting is acceptable - sheer laziness is not!)

3.) Lose 5 lbs by Lake Stevens (7/6)

4.) Rein in the sweet tooth and junk food laziness that plagues my eating habits. Start planning ahead with healthy lunches and snacks.

5.) Sign up for Ironman Canada 2009 even though it scares the crap out of me.

------------------------------------------------------------
The beatings will continue until morale improves
Quote Reply
Re: "The Womens" 2008 Goals Thread [kittycat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry to get on your case, but I'm going to be a bit of a pain in the butt about your goals to see if I can help out a little. Part of your problem may be because of these unclear goals. Your goals need to be specific and measurable. Some of them are and some of them aren't. If they aren't specific and measurable then you'll never know if you reached them. I'm going to suggest that you change your goals to something like this:

1. Exercise at least 4 times a week.

2. Get into a size 6 jeans by XXX

3. Eat at least 3 times a day and never go more than 4 hours without eating something healthy.

4. Drink at least 4 large glasses of water every day.

5. Go to the gym at least 2 times a week.

6. Sit in the steam room at least 2 times a week.

I suggest you remove #4 from your list. If you do all of the above, I think #4 will follow naturally. Seriously, it you're doing all 5 of these things, then there's no way you can not feel positive about yourself.

Also, you might want to think about signing up for some kind of race that you can do without really training for it. For example, if you're running a couple of times a week, then sign up for some short trail runs to keep you motivated throughout the summer. Find something that is easily do-able and you haven't tried before.

Hope this helps.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had to do this with my coach BUT this one has really got me thinking.
Here I go:

1. stay off the d coke:))
2. lose 15 lbs by IM AZ.....in 5 lb blocks
3. get my run back
4. quit bitching about trying to get my run back
5. try REALLY hard during my mile repeats
6. sub 5:30 at BSLT
7. kick the LH 70.3 courses ass.......like it did mine last year
8. don't have a total and complete meltdown on lap two of the run during IM AZ like I did three weeks ago pushing me just out of a Kona slot!!!!!!
9. remember #8 when I am complaining about running and not eating chips!!!!!!!!

I know there are more but it's a start.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thanks, i'll keep working on my list, but will definitely keep #4 for reasons that are important. ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. gain some muscle and loose body fat and get into size 6 jeans by july 4th. now i'm coming from a 10 and the 8's are lose so that is good.

2. eat during the day. sometimes i don't want to be bothered with eating, it just feels like a hastle to stop what i'm doing for the sake of food. but i know if i don't eat my metabolism will tank, so eating at least 3 meals a day is a good start. and a bowl of ice cream is not considered "dinner". breakfast by 9am, lunch by 1, and dinner by 6pm, add 2 small snacks if i get hungry (which would be great if i got hungry)

3. drink water. so far i've really made alot of changes. i don't drink, don't smoke, reduced coffee, and generally keep it pretty clean. but water is the thing that cells need, and i could use more of it. 6 glasses a day, or 2 SIG bottles.

4. feel positive, not negative because i'm not racing. also feel positive about other things in my life. working out 4-5 times a week is a great starter goal, and just because "this time last year i was riding 100's" doesn't mean i'm a slacker or a loser. similarly, running 2 businesses requires alot of balance, so the 80/20 rule is a good one to remember. i need to keep it real and remember that i'm busting my rump and have lots to celebrate. everyday say prayers of gratitude and ask for "help" on what i'm trying to do.

5. make time to go to the gym twice a week, and workout 4-5 times a week. and sit in the steam room because it's good for stress. so, 2 of the 4-5 workouts need to be at the gym. this is a nice "get away" for me and offers an environment of lots of exercise options. it's a good thing. 2 times a week at the gym, and 2-3 times a home or on a trail. sit in steam room 2 times a week.

6. train jess for her big hiking trip. training her trains me, plus we get to hang out. this will be a part of #5 for the 2 times at the gym, this is something i can do with a partner which will make it even more rewarding. workout with jess 2 times a week at the gym, or on a hiking trail.
Last edited by: kittycat: May 7, 08 5:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. Lose 10 pounds by July 12--Musselman
2. Break 6 hours at Musselman even if it's 120 degrees that day.
3. Eat clean: No fried foods, No HFCS...at least 5 servings of plant matter a day.
4. Sleep when I'm feeling down about training instead of training more.
5. Make peace with my freaking job.

The last goal is not so easily measured. I think I need a Piss-O-Meter for that one!
Quote Reply

Prev Next