Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: "The Womens" 2008 Goals Thread [DawnT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Glad you posted this. Hopefully it will keep me honest! Going through some major life changes too....this is all written in pencil:

1. lose 10# by IMLP.
2. Drop 1 hour off IMLP 2007 of 14:09 (actually to come in under 13h would be schweet)
2. Bike under 7 hours at IMLP.
3. get back into swimming 3x/week
4. run 4x/week
5. stay healthy!

My races and goals for each race:
Harriman Mini 5/17 (complete race, DNF last year)
Mooseman Olympic 6/8 (sub 2:45)
Whiteface Uphill bike race 6/14 (sub 1:25)
Lake Placid Half Marathon 6/15 (sub 1:59)
IMLP, 7/20 (sub 13h)
Timberman 70.3, sub 8/16 (sub 6h)
SOS race 9/10 (sub 6:45)
American zofingen SC, last year DNF

--------------------
Jeanne Roth
Team Timex 2007/2008
http://jeannejeannie.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here are my goals:

1) Lose 5-7 lbs by IMWI. I have been kinda/sorta working on this for about 8 months now and have been able to maintain my original 5lbs loss but now its time to get serious. And if I don't see a drastic decrease in weight with my IM training, hopefully at least see a reduction in the size of my mid-section.
2) Finish all four races at the Triple T. And at least be able to run some portion of the run in the Half-IM. (Success)
3) Survive through June 15. Between now and then, my weekend look like this -- One loop of the IM WI course, Triple T, a SAG ride of some distance between 50-75 miles, TOMRV (112 miles of riding on Sat, 88 on Sunday), and the Horrible Hilly (Success)
4) Meet all of my power goals on my rides. No more slacking on intervals.
5) Have at least 1 date with a boy
6) Have a terrific and fun day at IM WI.

Deanna
Last edited by: instigator: Jun 16, 08 7:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Funny this thread has come along now; I'm struggling with keeping motivated for my second IM so I figured I need to set myself little goals each week.

This week my goals were:

1) eat better

2) get in all my workouts even if I don't feel like it.

3) focus on my nutrition on the bike; both during and after.

Results:

1) We didn't have take out once this week; I cooked dinner every night except for Tuesday when I was out at a concert.

2) I got all my workouts in, albeit 2 of them were shortened.

3) This one didn't go as well as I had hoped. I had a decent ride, until the last half hour (rode for 5 hours) when I started to feel tired and hungry (bad sign). I had a half hour run after my ride and I had a complete meltdown. Had to walk the second half of the run, felt dizzy and had absolutely no gas in the tank. I should have had more food on the bike. I won't make that same mistake next week.

===============================================

Pain is temporary, quitting lasts forever.

http://www.teamrunningfree.com
http://ironmanredux.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Race Goals:
1. Get a PR under 5:30 at Eagleman Half in June
2. Go under 13 hours at Lake Placid In July
3. Do back to back tris in August: Luray Olympic on Saturday and the Sprint on Sunday
4. Do the entire, brutal Savageman Half in September. Finish time is beside the point.
5. Go under 4 hours at the Marine Corps Marathon in October

Training Goals:
1. Swim more
2. Swim more
3. Swim more
4. Do more running speedwork on the track and tempo runs
5. Do more hills on the bike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
~ 2008 goals ~

not skip (m)any sessions, especially non-key ones (i'm bad at that sometimes)
eat better (get off the cookies)
be more positive about what i can do, not dwell on what i can't
lose 5lbs
have a solid race at Wisconsin. to not worry so much about time on the day, but on staying strong mentally and doing it right to stay strong physically
to not gain back the 5lbs i will lose by September by October
to start the course i want to take in October
to be more positive about where i'm living
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A little late with this but... This is a totally great idea! Bringing me out of lurkdom (just posted once in the "introduce yourself" thread). :-)

I'm in NYC, on a team, training for a half (Timberman), but still don't always do what I plan, so the extra accountability here is a wonderful thing.

Here goes with goals:

Do all scheduled key team workouts. If I have to miss (only b/c of work or family obligations) make up on own.
subgoal - attend all early morning team bikerides, even if it looks like rain. ONLY miss if it is actually RAINING. :-)
1-2 extra workouts in addition to team schedule

Ride (new!) tribike 1x a week
Add 15 min to long bikeride every week till Timberman
Make sure to have some form of HILLS on bike every week

Attend 1 masters swim practice a week
Do full length of solo swims

Stretch-core-ice-foam roll 3-4x a week. (not all at once!)

Sleep 7.5-8.5 hours every night
Eat fruits-veggies/wholegrains/lean protein every day, 6-8 glasses water
One "free" day of less healthy eating but not excessively, 3-4 small "treats" a week too

Whew, okay, that's it!

Reading all I have over the past few months has been fun, now I'll be writing some as well as reading! :-)

Mindy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love the idea of posting goals and sharing support. There are so many diverse levels of goals in the posts. Mine are:
-Finish a 5k in less than 30 minutes
-Ignore my perfectionist streak about training that makes me get so worked up about it that I avoid it
-Break my personal best Sprint time at the Musselman in July
-Speed up my bike cadence
-Stay healthy enough to compete in two tris this summer
-Get fit for XCountry ski season this winter
Krista
Quote Reply
Re: "The Womens" 2008 Goals Thread [kitboo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kitboo-Let me know what number you are for the Mussel so I can cheer for you extra hard!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great Thread, Dawn. I'll spit it out.

1. From my login name, it's easy--qualify for the Boston Marathon at the Cal International Marathon in December. Would mean taking 20 minutes off my PR from 2 years ago--I'm in better running shape now, but it will still mean a world of pain.
2. Get over the idea that I'm a "slow runner" and start to think more positively about running!
3. Moving down to the 1:20 swim lane at masters! :)
4. Gain more peace when it comes to running/body image/weight/food. I'll be happier if I do, I know it!

Good luck to everyone!
Quote Reply
Re: "The Womens" 2008 Goals Thread [pookie87] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Finally! I just got my race #: 629.
Are you racing too?
Quote Reply
Re: "The Womens" 2008 Goals Thread [kitboo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am doing the mini-mussel, Number 1242.
Quote Reply
Re: "The Womens" 2008 Goals Thread [bostonhopeful] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Boston--what training plan are you using? One of my goals is to qualify for the 2009 Boston. I found "Run Less Run Faster" very helpful. I have been using it a little over a month and have improved my long distance pace by 1 minute. I used to run my long runs (9+ miles) at about a 10+ min/mile pace, but last week I was able to maintain a 8:50 min/mile pace for 10 miles! I think this training plan was what I needed to get over my 'slow and steady' mentaility.
Quote Reply
Re: "The Womens" 2008 Goals Thread [td] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok, new to the fourm but figuring maybe it will force me to stay the course w/ training ;)...

1. Sub 6hrs at Greater Cleveland Triathlon
2. Sub 2:45 at Great Lakes Escape Oly Triathlon
3. Break current women's 2-person relay time at Akron Mary
4. Run 3:40 marathon Richmond, Philly or Columbus in Fall (can't decide which one to do)

There all done.
Quote Reply
Re: "The Womens" 2008 Goals Thread [allanjel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GREAT THREAD!

Goals:
-Keep it all in perspective. A disappointing workout is not a reason to sulk all day.
-Eat more protein! (recently ditched vegetarianism and trying to figure that out)
-Train Smart. Listen to my body. Consistency is key! No more stress fractures!
-Stretch and Core everyday!
-Sub 10H at IM Kona.
-Have fun : )

Isaiah 40:31 - Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength, they will soar on wings like eagles, they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not grow faint.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After my recent driving vacation (18 hours of driving total) where I spent much of that time thinking about what I really want to do this year, I've revised my goals. I decided that I'm not ready to jump back into another marathon. Sure, I can do one this fall, but I'm not where I want to be speed-wise. So, I'm setting my sights on running a faster half marathon instead. Once I can run a sub-1:50 half marathon, then I'll be ready to train for another full.

So here's my original and revised goals:

1. Run a minimum of 5 times a week, every week.
Yep, keeping this the same.

2. Break 4 hrs in a fall marathon. I really want to BQ (need a 3:50), but I don't think I can get there this year. I want to get as close as possible and I definitely thinking breaking 4 hrs is do-able.
Break 1:53 in a half marathon. This will be a good challenge for me. Still going long (love to run long), but short enough that I can concentrate on getting faster and not just going longer.

3. Lose 20 lbs by September 30, 2008.
Yep, keeping this one the same too.

4. Survive American Zofingen.
Now that I won't be slogging out the run miles, I want to do more than just survive AmZof. My training plan will now consist of more biking than I originally planned. Getting through the bike in reasonable condition will be the key to this race, so I've got to get some good legs on the bike before October.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ok...I am game....

Training

-as always, Average 7 hours a week for the entire year...same goal for the 23rd year...
- Continue to mix it up...Paddling, Orienteering, Adventure Racing, Mt Biking, Running, Trail running, Road biking, Swimming open water, lap swimming, Cross country skiing...classic and skate...training emphasis on variety and fun...no structure but get enough interval, hard training and racing to allow me to race well in a variety of events....
-Train with my wife as much as possible and maximize our fun...

Triathlon:

-Place in one of my three Sprint Triathlons of the year...Placing twice would be great...
-try and assess the "10 swim workouts" plan to prepare for the .25 miles swims in my key tri's....minimum input to get maximum output....

Orienteering:

-Go under 12 min/K on a Red course....
-compete in the Rogaine and Minnegoat...would love to place in 2 person coed at the Rogaine..

Adventure Racing:

Complete 4 Sprint Adventure Races with my wife...

Place in the "two person coed division" in 3 of our 4 races and /or be in the top 3rd of all teams in 3 of 4 races...

Other events:

-beat time at Superior Hiking Trail 25K Trail run...
-Complete the navigationally intense Lowe Alpine Mountain Marathon in Scotalnd with with my wife, top 3 in "2 person coed" in -the "Novice" division. (Big Goal!)
-Summit Pikes Peak with wife...
-Summit another 14er in Colorado with wife...

Other..
-keep weight around consistently under 172...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am in:

Goals for 2008

1. Focus on cycling to get that much needed seat time before I attempt IMLP in 2010.
2. Overcome plantar fasciitis, which I have had for four months in my left heel, on to my first cortisone shot (hope it does the trick)
3. Compete in a winter marathon, since I had to postpone my fall races because of the injury
4. Eat well
5. Begin a weight training and core training program
Quote Reply
Re: "The Womens" 2008 Goals Thread [cervelogirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey, I'm new here but I thought I'd post the goals that I had posted on another forum along with updates from the current season.

Goals for this season
- Start running closer to a 7:30/mile pace off of my bike in sprint and olympic distance races.
Done, I ran at a 6:57 pace in one race and 7:17 in another.
- Run a sub-1:45:00 half marathon (my best right now is 1:47:00)
- Run a 21:30 5k (best now is 21:48)
Close, I ran 21:33 off my bike last May, I can probably do this in a stand-alone 5k at this point.
- Finish an ironman in under 12:00:00 (11:30:00 is my stretch goal)
- Get my half ironman under 5:15:00 (best now is 5:25:00 but that was with fixing a flat so it's probably more like 5:20:00)
Done, 5:10:36 at lake stevens
- Drop 5 lbs. before the first race of the season (in 2 mos.)
Failed at this but I dropped inches so I'm not too worried about it.

Way in the future goals
- I'd like to see my half iron time get close to or under 5:00:00
Hoping to do this at Clearwater (although that feels a little like cheating since it's such a fast race)
- Qualify for and race Clearwater
Done at Lake Stevens, finished 4th in AG (25-29) and 15th overall amateur.
- Qualify for and race Kona
- Get my half marathon under 1:40:00
- Run a sub 1:50:00 half marathon off of my bike in a half ironman
Done at Lake Stevens, 1:48:58
- Run a sub 4:00:00 marathon off of my bike in an ironman
- Qualify for and race in the Boston Marathon

my severely neglected blog
Quote Reply
Re: "The Womens" 2008 Goals Thread [jess!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What lovely goals girls. I wish I had one so that I can join you; I don’t at the moment but hope to in the near future. I am sure you are all motivated and feeling good. Go for it.
Quote Reply
Re: "The Womens" 2008 Goals Thread [cervelogirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
>>2. Overcome plantar fasciitis<<

I would very very highly suggest the book, "Pain Free". Doing the exercises in there made my pf go away.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: "The Womens" 2008 Goals Thread [HeatherC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
With the season winding down, I'm confessing. I haven't met all my goals for 2008:

1. Complete the Worlds race in Vancouver and not be dead last in my age group. (Done)
2. Strength train 2 -3x per week, even when I'm short of time. (Nope - see #4)
3. Have at least one race with a bike split averaging over 30 kph. (Managed this unofficially, lost time in crash)
4. Successfully avoid another hamstring/calf/piriformis injury. (No again - sigh)
5. Get something positive out of every race, no matter how crappy the experience was over-all. (Done, although I don't feel great about the season as a whole. Trying to turn the page and look forward to 2009).

Wishing everyone else success with their goals. Great thread!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Hi all,

I just dropped by to have a look at the current topics of conversation and saw Dawn's Goals thread. I thought I'd share an article with you all that I wrote earlier this year for a New Zealand magazine. I hope it's useful to somebody. You'll have to excuse any references to the Olympics as that was my goal at the time of writing....a goal that sadly got away!! But sometimes we learn more from not achieving our goals, it's just how we reflect upon this apparent failure that in turn motivates us to greater accomplishments!

If anybody has any questions, feel free to ask.

Best Regards,

Sam Warriner.

Good as Goals:

Sam Warriner circa 2005:

The alarm bursts into life and I scramble to silence it before it screams the house down. It’s 4.30am and I’m sure it’s been just minutes since I fell into bed exhausted. Breakfast consists of a couple of slices of toast and a coffee. Then it’s out the door and into the night.

The 20 kilometre ride to the pool helps me get psyched for the 240 lengths ahead. Then it’s another mad dash to Whangarei Girls High in time for Miss Warriner to put on her other face.

After spending the morning talking about everything from hockey skills to sexual health, lunchtime arrives and I sprint up the road to the local gym to fit in a weights session. In 50 minutes, I expend more energy than most would in a day, and then it’s back for two more periods of school.

The bell goes once more, as if to signify yet another battle round. And a battle is just what the next two hours turn out to be, with my coach pushing me in the run session from Hell. I return to school leg-weary to write up the following day’s lessons. An hour later, it’s a brisk 20 kilometre pedal home in time for dinner. Exhaustion is becoming surprisingly normal!

Fast-forward to 2008:
That was just an average weekday for me back in 2005. Like most, I had to work to pay the bills. I had already been to the Athens Olympics at that stage and won two ITU World Cups. I look back now and wonder just how I did it. How did I fit everything in? And the only answer I can give is that I had goals and a desire to achieve them.

Why do I set goals?
  • They give me a clear target – gold in Beijing.
  • They help my time management.
  • They provide motivation and inspiration – I constantly visualise winning gold at the 2008 Olympics.
  • They help me prioritise.
  • They give me a road map of how to get to where I want to be.

This past summer has been awesome, and not just because of the weather. There have been so many different events to train for that you couldn’t fail to find one to test you. Whether you’re a Real Woman, a More FM woman or even one of Sarah’s loyal Sub girls, the choice of events has been just fabulous for we females. Now, however, with the end of summer comes the most important time of the year. It’s time to reflect on what you’ve achieved and then plan how you’re going to have an even better season in 2009.

Setting successful goals takes two steps

First, decide on a goal. Second, you must actually plan how you are going to achieve it. This is where most people fall down. It’s easy to wake up one day and say: “Right, next year I’m going to finish the Ironman”. The hard thing is knowing how to do it.

Any journey needs a map and planned route. Goals are the same. They remain dreams unless you can plan how to get there.

Step 1 Set those goals

Long-term goals (LTG)
The LTG is what gets you out of bed on a cold, wet morning. Without one, it would be much easier to turn off the alarm and roll over! It needs to be realistic and meaningful to you. Decide on something you’ve always wanted to do, and make sure you challenge yourself to dream high!

Short-term or progressive goals (STG)
These are the stepping-stones that get you towards your LTG. If you were a novice triathlete, you wouldn’t jump straight into an Olympic distance event. You’d set the short-term goal of finishing a local fun run or ride first. The key is to achieve your STGs and gain the confidence that you can master LTG.

Process Goals (PG)
For me, every session has a PG. Some days, that can mean four or five different technical things to focus on, which can really help keep a boring session interesting. For you, it could be as simple as spending 30 minutes power-walking. If that’s a step towards your LTG, then get out there and pound that pavement!

Step 2 Make your goals a reality

To make our goals real, we need to continually re-visit them. Write them down in the front of your diary, so that every time you open it, up they are staring right back at you, keeping you honest. Mine are written on the bathroom mirror, so I see them first thing in the morning and last thing at night, as I clean my teeth.

Using the three-goal method also allows you to reward yourself with each achievement. I regularly do this by way of a massage, a glass of wine or a girl’s ‘pamper night’. If I’ve worked hard or achieved a STG, I congratulate myself.

Every night, before I go to bed, I ask myself if there is anything I could have done better that day. If the answer is no, then I know the day was a good one.

A life with well-planned goals

Achieving goals comes down to your mindset, so don’t place limitations on your imagination when you’re planning them. You often hear people saying that goals should be realistic. I say that if you want something badly enough, you’ll go out there and make your own reality. Dream high.

When I started in triathlon it was all about getting fit and losing weight. I had just turned 30. With my friend Bart, we would ride to work on alternate days, rewarding ourselves with an ice cream on the way home. On the other days, we would swim lengths at the local pool, gradually increasing the number we did.

I began my racing with a local short triathlon. I enjoyed it so much that I aimed at a longer event, and from then on, my goal was to get faster. Before I knew it, I was second in my age group at the 2001 World Championships. I then watched the professionals race the following day and said to myself, “next year, that will be me”.

In 2002, I achieved that goal. I came in just about last, but that simply made me set about becoming faster, so that I might finish in the top 20 the following year. The rest, as they say, is history.

Now, six years on, I’m living my own personal dream, winning World Cup races, and continually re-setting goals and working away at achieving them. I have always set goals based on what I believe I can achieve. Each one was a small, but challenging, towards improving myself.

I hope I’ve motivated you in some small way. Now’s, the time to sit down, reflect on where you are at, and – more importantly – decide where you want to be. Set a new LTG and plan the STGs to get there.

Check out my website: www.sweat7.com If you look under ‘Get sorted on Goals’, you’ll find an easy-to-use goal-setting form. Print it off and put it in your diary! Never mind how big or small your aim; if you believe, you’ll achieve. It’s all in the mind. Set the goal, make the time, and you will see just how rewarding and fulfilling it can be for all areas of your life and health. And, next issue, we’ll look at some basic training tips to start bringing your dreams a little closer to reality, regardless of your background and other commitments.

Example of bad goal-setting:

Goals for 2009: I am going to run/walk a half-marathon in less than two hours.

It’s a bad goal, because:
  • There’s no timeline of when the event is.
  • There’s no action plan of how you are going to do it.

Example of good goal-setting:

LTG for 2009: I am going to run the Auckland Half-Marathon in less than two hours in October.

STGs to get there:
  • I am going to run every other day, so by the end of August I can complete that distance.
  • I am going to join a local/walk run club and ask my friend to come with me.
  • I will aim to do the local 10km race series in Auckland for fun and to see how I’m improving.
  • I will include hills in my training from July, as the course is hilly. I will start with three hill reps of Northcote Rd and increase to eight by the end of August.

PGs
  • I will focus on relaxing my breathing as I get into my rhythm of running or walking.
  • I will aim to run for five minutes longer than last week every time I train.
  • I will have a shorter recovery in between my walk/run effort.
  • I will get up the hill faster this time.
  • I will focus on pumping my arms as I drive up the hill, lifting my feet up, kicking my heels up to my butt quicker, and keeping my hips forward and working.

http://www.sweat7.com - Coaching for Newbies

http://www.samwarriner.co.nz - That's just me!
Quote Reply
Re: "The Womens" 2008 Goals Thread [Sweat7 Heaven] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Welcome to the forum. I hope you stick around a bit. This post a great addition to this thread, but I think you need to post it as it's own thread as well. Not too many people are going to come back in here to read this thread after it's been up top for so long and it would be a shame if this got lost in the shuffle. Why don't you start a new thread with this article?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for that Dawn,

Just re-posted.

Sam.

http://www.sweat7.com - Coaching for Newbies

http://www.samwarriner.co.nz - That's just me!
Quote Reply
Re: "The Womens" 2008 Goals Thread [SaraJean] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Here are my 2008 athletic goals:

1. Do my physical therapy exercises 3 times a week until I can run without knee pain.

2. Follow a OLY-distance training plan from now until the "Great Lake Escape" tri in September. (My first OLY)

3. Finish the aforementioned race before the finish line closes.

1. I didn't do the physical therapy, but when I slowed down and took days off, I was able to run without knee pain.
2. The GLE tri was cancelled. I followed most of the training plan, but I couldn't keep up with the run portion.
3. I ended up doing a different race, sprint division, and finishing first in the Athena division.

"Real winners aren't content with yesterday's victories"
Quote Reply

Prev Next