Re: "The Womens" 2008 Goals Thread [DawnT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Okay. Here we go.

1. Lose 15 pounds by one month before IMC
2. weight train twice a week
3. yoga or deep stretch or even better massage once a week
4. core exercises every other day
5. the three "r"s - rest, relax, recover
6. beat my swim time from high school (I will have to look it up)
7. start my races feeling confident and positive and ready to race
8. PR at IMC

Really my goals are the last three. The rest is going to help me get there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK, I'll rise to the challenge too. Here are my goals for 2008:

1. Complete the Worlds race in Vancouver and not be dead last in my age group.

2. Strength train 2 -3x per week, even when I'm short of time.

3. Have at least one race with a bike split averaging over 30 kph.

4. Successfully avoid another hamstring/calf/piriformis injury.

5. Get something positive out of every race, no matter how crappy the experience was over-all.

Now all I have to do is stick to them!
Quote Reply
Re: "The Womens" 2008 Goals Thread [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just noticed you are doing Squamish. Have you done it before? Do you live in that area? I live in South Texas but have spent three summers in Whistler. I would love to connect with someone in that area for some cycling that won't be too intimidating. The locals are so accomplished. I've done Comfortably Numb two years in a row and probably will do that this summer as well. I'm a weak mountain rider and planning to use Squamish as incentive to get me ready for HIM @ Timberman in New Hampshire. Would love advice, connections that could be beneficial in Whistler/Squamish area. Thanks and good luck with your goals.
Quote Reply
Re: "The Womens" 2008 Goals Thread [HeatherC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in!
1. Clean up diet (though I love cake....)
2. Strength train 3 x week
3. Make a commitment to improving in all 3 sports - not just the run (the one I like the most)
4. Be well trained/ prepared for upcoming tris and duathlons
5. Well executed marathon @ a solid race pace this winter
Quote Reply
Re: "The Womens" 2008 Goals Thread [diva] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, have done it before, but the course has changed since then. I live in East Van, but love riding up there. When you get into the area, PM me anyways, I may end up your way anyways, and if not then I'll see you at Squamish! AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ok--i'm gonna give this a try! I can use all the motivation I can get!

1. Clean-up my diet. Eat more fruits & veggies. Eat 5-6 small healthy meals throughout the day.
2. Add 2-3 days of strength/core training per week to my schedule.
3. Lose 10 lbs before July 9th (That's the 7th Anniversary of my 29th Birthday! [You do the math!]:-)
4. Run a sub-4 hour Marine Corps Marathon in October. [Long term goal is to qualify for Boston--3:45]
5. Improve my cycling techniques so that I can sustain a 19-20 mph pace. And do at least 3 century rides this year.
6. Finish HIM (Silverman) in less than 6 hours.
***and last but not least***
7. Build a good training base so I can seek 'revenge' on IMAZ. I have a little score to settle. :-)
Quote Reply
Re: "The Womens" 2008 Goals Thread [ugogrl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You put it in writing...I'm keeping you on track.

You better finish Silverman half in under 6 hours...that gives us more time for black jack ;-)

But wait, I must have missed where you listed your goal for swimming.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok I'm in. Great idea.

1) core work 2x/week I have been slacking off!

2) swim 4x/week

That's all I can think of right now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great idea Dawn!

Here goes

Triathlon:
1 - Qualify for 2009 ITU olympic distance worlds in Australia

2 - Overcome, or learn to deal with, my swim start psychosis (I'm fine in open water until someone sets off a starting gun)
2.1 - Race the swim, don't just swim it
2.2 - Draft in races

3 - Keep the gains I've made on the bike, especially my new-found ability to push through the hurt in training (when appropriate)
3.1 - Figure out the line between going hard enough but leaving something for the run
3.2 - Develop my bike-handling skills - learn to mount/dismount my bike while leaving the shoes on the bike, do 180's without unclipping and slowing down too much, etc.

4 - Get back whatever it is I've lost on the run
4.1 - Figure out what's wrong
4.2 - Do 1-2 5km or 10km races in June/July
4.3 - Learn to push more on the run in races

5 - Stop slacking on my training and follow the plan I'm paying for - go back to my IMC training philosophy of one "gimme" per month (i.e. allow myself one and only one opportunity per month to skip a workout for no good reason)

6 - Sign up for races before they sell out

Diet
1 - Less crap!

2 - Eat two pieces of fruit a day

3 - Eat breakfast at home every day

4 - Have healthy snacks at work (say "No!" to the siren call of Tim Horton's doughnuts)

5 - Watch the sodium (I'm good with fats, this is the next step)

General
1 - Keep it possitive - remember what I say affects my outlook so quit kvetching!

2 - Watch less TV

3 - Keep my blog up to date

4 - Pay down my debts and save for Worlds 2009!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
just want to say that since starting this i've been eating all meals, have worked out everyday, and even got the nerve to go to the store to try on jeans. turns out i could actually put on the 6's, but bought the 8 because the waistband was better. also turns out i have a huge butt! wow, i hadn't seen my butt in the mirror for years, holy smoke, baby got back.

anyway, this was a great idea dawn, i'm so glad that everybody is here. :)

kitty
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My goals...

This summer (by August) lose the weight that I regained..I need to get back on track w/ good eating habits.

I want to focus on the bike for my next IM (Beach2Battleship)

Apply to graduate school by July 15 deadline

Sylvia

Vestri sessio est quoque altus!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. Drop 7 pounds by IMLP
2. Clean up my eating. My eating was almost saintly last year & I dropped 23 pounds. Now I'm backsliding and some pounds have found their way back.
3. Do core exercises each & every day.
4. Finish IMLP in under 15 hours (To you speedsters that may laughable but to old slow me that will take mental concentration.), which means...
5. don't slow to a walk just because running becomes uncomfortable. IT'S AN IRONMAN-OF COURSE THE RUN IS UNCOMFORTABLE.
6. Get a new job. Don't just dream about getting new job, put in the work necessary to find one.
Quote Reply
Re: "The Womens" 2008 Goals Thread [janiceb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sorry to hijack the thread however it is so much fun to say hi to people on the forum. Kitboo, love every minute of Musselman. It is a wonderful race in beautiful surroundings. I would race it every year but I race IMLP, which brings me to my next hello-to Janiceb. See ya there! My 3rd IMLP. How's training?

member CupCake Cartel
Quote Reply
Re: "The Womens" 2008 Goals Thread [kittycat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's great, KC! Keep up the good work. I only wear size 6's in my dreams!! :)
Quote Reply
Re: "The Womens" 2008 Goals Thread [renee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This will be my 2nd LP (did it 2002 and totally melted down on the run). I have a different coach this time and I think she's doing a good job of getting me ready. That said, I'll always feel that I haven't prepared enough/as much as everyone else.
Quote Reply
Re: "The Womens" 2008 Goals Thread [GhiaGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dang, Ghiagirl--you caught me! Let's see...what is my swimming goal?
#8. Find a masters swim team or hire a swim coach to improve my swim technique so I can finish a HIM swim in less than 40 mins. Make myself swim at least 3 times a week.

anyone else out there doing Silverman?
Quote Reply
Re: "The Womens" 2008 Goals Thread [ugogrl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've got silverman (half) on my calendar as a maybe... depending on how other Sept/Oct races fall out, and if I need a break by then, or can extend the season a little longer.

Cheryl
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll play...
1. Get down to race weight by end of June (~5lbs).
2. Qualify for Kona (Lubbock).
3. Follow orders from my coaches from now through October.
4. Go fast in Kona : ).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My main easily measurable goals for the year are:
1) learn how to competently, gracefully, consistently, and successfully do a pedal wheelie over a 12 inch log
2) qualify for xterra worlds
3) complete 2 half ironmans, and get bike split below 2:45, run split below 1:50, train on tribike and not road bike to get very used to the position, instead of riding my road bike all year, and hopping onto a different bike for a race, only to have hips cramp up, neck ache, and legs not remember how to even walk when I got off the bike.
4) sign up for IM Louisville 2009 - that will be the 10th anniversary of my first ironman.

Cheryl
Quote Reply
Re: "The Womens" 2008 Goals Thread [cstine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
3) complete 2 half ironmans, and get bike split below 2:45, run split below 1:50, train on tribike and not road bike to get very used to the position, instead of riding my road bike all year, and hopping onto a different bike for a race, only to have hips cramp up, neck ache, and legs not remember how to even walk when I got off the bike.

I don't know why, but that part made me smile a bit :)

Quote | Reply

In Reply To

[/reply]
I don't know why, but that part made me smile a bit :)

It makes me laugh now at the sheer stupidity, it made me almost cry on race day last year! I'm already on the TT bike this year :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
check this out.

goals.lululemon.com check it out to help you set goals!

------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.GetEndorFit.com
Personal Training and Sports Conditioning
------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: "The Womens" 2008 Goals Thread [squesen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
So, let me preface this with the fact that I am pretty slow so my goals may look like I am slacking but I have to bust my ass every step of the way. I just PR'd a marathon by going under five hours -- this was a 30 minute improvement over the last one in November. So off to a good start.

As far as I'm concerned, people with time goals aren't slacking. I'm still at the "I want to finish" level.

Here are my 2008 athletic goals:

1. Do my physical therapy exercises 3 times a week until I can run without knee pain.

2. Follow a OLY-distance training plan from now until the "Great Lake Escape" tri in September. (My first OLY)

3. Finish the aforementioned race before the finish line closes.

"Real winners aren't content with yesterday's victories"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know I'm late, but I've really been thinking about goals for the past week. I accepted a new job last week and start next Monday, so I wanted my goals to coincide with this major life change (more demanding job, longer commute, etc)
I came up with a bunch for all areas of my life, but I'll try to keep it simple here. (I made myself a spreadsheet for tracking them - I'm such a nerd)

1) Lose the pounds that came back this spring: get back down to 157 by May 28, down to 154 by June 25 and 152 by July 18. See 14--something on the scale by IMWI. Weigh no more than IM weight +5 by Nov. 14.

2) Maintain and improve the run speed I've gained over the winter. Finish the run part of Rockman in 2:25. Run San Antonio HM under 2:10 (I know that's not speedy to most of you!!) To do this, I'll continue to get my long run in every week, and do at least one speed workout.

3) Get in the water! I've been skipping a lot of swimming, so I will swim at least two hours per week, hopefully three.

4) More time on the bike. I will ride my bike at least 3 times per week for a total of at least 5 hours.

5) Continue weight training. Two times per week for 30-45 minutes each time.

6) Clean up my diet. A lot of the little things I know a lot of us are working on - reduce refined sugar, plan healthy meals, eat more real food. Specifically i will eat 5 servings of fruits/veggies a day, only one dessert per week, only one reasonable serving of chips and salsa per week (my downfall!) and make sure at least 2 meals and 2 snacks per day are made up of entirely real food (powdered cheese from a box does not count).

7) Spend 15 minutes every evening (either after dinner or before bed) doing things I don't like to do. Empty the dishwasher, floss my teeth, sort a load of laundry, pay bills, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: "The Womens" 2008 Goals Thread [cstine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For the IM Silverman gals, let's plan to get together before the race. Maybe we can do dinner or pedicures! I have to get my toes painted "Power Pink" before the race!
Quote Reply

Prev Next