Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

The most important Flo question - How does the disc sound?
Quote | Reply
I got a 90/disc today (backdoor brag?) and am mostly excited to retire my 10 year-old 404/900 combo. But that Zipp 900 tubular disc makes the sweetest, most beautiful sound I have ever heard.

What's the verdict on the not emitted from the Flo disc?

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Re: The most important Flo question - How does the disc sound? [kjmcawesome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kjmcawesome wrote:
I got a 90/disc today (backdoor brag?) and am mostly excited to retire my 10 year-old 404/900 combo. But that Zipp 900 tubular disc makes the sweetest, most beautiful sound I have ever heard.

I can't comment on the FLO disc, but I will say that I was surprised to hear more whomp-whomping in my last race from folks rocking the non-disc Zipp wheels (deep ones). I had thought most of the whomping was from the disc, but I def heard just as much whomping from Zipp carbon wheels without a disc.
Quote Reply
Re: The most important Flo question - How does the disc sound? [kjmcawesome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's similar to the Hed disc... spoked wheel with carbon fairing = no whoosh-whoosh sound.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: The most important Flo question - How does the disc sound? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I missed out on the disc (they sold out super quick!) so I'm not sure I'll ever know until you pass me on a race (you'd have to be a v.slow swimmer)
Quote Reply
Re: The most important Flo question - How does the disc sound? [GMAN19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's makes some noise, but you definitely don't get the "rumble." It's a bit less than the HED Trispokes.

The real disc rumble comes from those ultra rigid compression discs (old HED lenticulars, Zipps, Renns, etc.). Disc covers that are not load bearing (HED jet, Flo, Wheelbuilder, etc.) just don't make the same noise.

My first race on a Renn I literally looked up to see if a jet was flying overhead....now that's rumble!

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorta a mini hijack on the thread here, but on a only remotely related note, I just bought the Flo60 (still not sold out!) front, and googled if I would need special carbon-friendly brake pads for it. Turns out I don't for the aluminum rim. This makes me happy - I'm really short on time and any area I can simplify is welcomed, including changing out brake pads with wheel changes.
Quote Reply
Re: The most important Flo question - How does the disc sound? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is actually a great point. I have some Enve tubulars on my road bike with their pads and they stop great.

Getting ready for Wildflower, I rode up part of King's Mtn with my current race wheels (old Zipps) and reynolds blue pads. That was a scary descent. Looking forward to some actual stopping power with my new Flo's! The down-side is that I don't have any wide training wheels and while I don't mind leaving the front on, I would rather not train on the disc. Need to figure out a solution for that without spending too much.

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
More wooosh wooosh than a training rim, MUCH less wooosh wooosh than a Zipp disc

Quote | Reply
kjmcawesome wrote:

I'll confirm that the FLO DISC doesn't make the loud whoosh sound that you'll hear from a solid tubular disc. The original FLO DISC was louder and after receiving complaints we slightly modified the design (nothing aerodynamically) to decrease the noise it made. It's still fast though ;)

Sorry I can't tell you otherwise.

Chris Thornham
Co-Founder And Previous Owner Of FLO Cycling
Quote Reply
Re: The most important Flo question - How does the disc sound? [GMAN19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GMAN19030 wrote:
It's similar to the Hed disc... spoked wheel with carbon fairing = no whoosh-whoosh sound.

That's true. However for my homemade disc wheel (a covered spoked wheel)
I took a spray can of foam insulation and permantely bonded the ABS plastic covers
to the spoke. It does make that ominous rumbling whoosh-whoosh sound we all love.

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Last edited by: pattersonpaul: Apr 26, 13 9:07
Quote Reply