Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Gull Lake Triathlon Returns!
Quote | Reply
Abet as a sprint, but I did this race as my first triathlon wayyy back in 1993 as an Oly (it's last year before this years), and a friend and I did it because we were in good running shape (we both ran D1 college CC and track), and wow, it was an eye opener! The swim took me 45 minutes or so (on zero swim training) with every stroke imaginable! I did the bike on an old MTB hybred with skinnier tires and absolutely KILLED folks on the run (33-34 min for 6.5 miles). Man I wish i could go like that again. But ended up with 2nd in my age group, and loved it, despite passing out during the awards and getting woken up when they called my name, I was hooked!

Well, I for one is glad that it is back and that I'll be in town for it (2 July), so anyone who has ever raced the Gull Lake Tri, what are your memories of it, and hope to see a few ST'ers there!

I will now return you to your regularly scheduled forum posts...

-----------------------------------------------------------
Try Not To Puke on the Finish Line!
http://trynot2puke.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Gull Lake Triathlon Returns! [Hammerati] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you talking Gull Lake in MI? Holy smokes I'm old. Completely forgot about it.
Quote Reply
Re: Gull Lake Triathlon Returns! [tigerpaws] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup, right there in Richland! Yeah, the last race *WAS* 18 years ago, so me too!

Hope you decide to race it, if you are in the area

Last edited by: Hammerati: Jun 14, 11 13:29
Quote Reply
Re: Gull Lake Triathlon Returns! [tigerpaws] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also, has anyone rode / ran the new course? What is it like? I kind of remember the area, but it has been a while.

Thanks

Quote Reply
Re: Gull Lake Triathlon Returns! [Hammerati] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i figure i can toss in a couple comments since i acquired the venue involving Ross Township Park and Michigan State University's Kellogg BIological Station and turned it over to Orsus. i set up the course.

the swim is a basic triangle off the shoreline of the park.

the bike follows the opening leg of the old course, going out through Hickory Corners. the turnaround is north of the village. the stretch of "B" Ave. from just past the park up to 40th is not terribly smooth but won't slow you down much. the rest is very smooth and the whole thing is pretty darned flat.

the run course is a lot different from the old event, aside from it being a 5K. you will exit the park through a newly installed gate directly into the MSU Kellogg BIological Station grounds. following along the lakeshore for a ways, and then exiting the KBS grounds, up onto E Gull Lake Dr., and then down into the Midland Park area for the turnaround. there's a minor grade from the KBS property to get up to E. Gull Lk. Dr., then a long minor downhill grade and then flat to the turnaround. not really enough of a grade to be considered a hill. scenic rural course.

i wish i could do this one but i'll be staging/announcing.

the "old" Gull Lake was the 2nd race ever for me - in '91. fond memories from back then. hopefully we can create some new ones this time around.

Train hard...race well.
www.jimmishler.com
"Jim, I happen to agree with you" DougStern
Quote Reply
Re: Gull Lake Triathlon Returns! [Jim Mishler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is a great race. I did it waaaaaaayy back when. Fly me in there to announce and you can race. :)

Here's a photo from the event from quite while ago- in the mid 1980's. I was 2nd overall there:

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Last edited by: Tom Demerly: Jun 14, 11 14:58
Quote Reply
Re: Gull Lake Triathlon Returns! [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom,

Love the shorts! And thanks Jim for the course info. I'd ride the course before the race but my wife and I are driving up from Ft Bragg, NC on the 1st, so I am jumping right into it.

Thanks again

Quote Reply
Re: Gull Lake Triathlon Returns! [Jim Mishler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And don't forget the special we're offering to EVERYONE who registers from now through all of Thursday, June 30! You'll still be allowed to compete. Registration closes as of Friday. Make sure to take advantage of this offer and REGISTER NOW! Remind your friends as well.

Four days until the race.
Quote Reply
Re: Gull Lake Triathlon Returns! [captain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Jim, I missed it this year, am going to begin training for next year. Any recommendations for local courses or training routes? I am an amateur but learning fast.

Cornell & Associates, Inc.
Selling lakefront property on Gull Lake sine 1972
www.homesbycornell.com
Quote Reply
Re: Gull Lake Triathlon Returns! [GullLakeHomes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
@ Jim

I'm thinking of popping down for this one. It's too bad I don't see you at the Kzoo Y anymore.

-Andrew

Should be a great course, heard we had soem great athletes this past race!

Lifelong Endurance Coach
Triathlon - Running - Cycling - Nutrition
Check us out online to see what we offer
http://www.lifelongendurance.com
Quote Reply