Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: FLO 60 and 90 wheel review [tttiltheend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tttiltheend wrote:
Makes sense, taking the long term approach is overall by far the better solution rather than rushing to make a given season and possibly compromising quality. Lots of time the need to get cash flow started dictates rushing the product out the door.

And, as someone else mentioned, if you hold your pricing or close to it based on what we're seeing you'll likely do very well.

Thanks for understanding. I really think focusing on product quality is the way to go.

Have a great weekend,

Chris Thornham
Co-Founder And Previous Owner Of FLO Cycling
Quote Reply
Re: FLO 60 and 90 wheel review [Canadian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Canadian wrote:
Tom3 wrote:
Thanks! Those are great prices! As far as the delivery, it's already been mentioned above, you will miss most of this season....but if I were you I would really push to have some ready for Vegas and Kona. Good PR before everything winds down for the winter.

I agree. We are from Vegas so we hope to have a booth at the expo and have some product there. Expensing a trip to Hawaii our first year in business may a little challenging but we would love to have wheels ready for that race.

Take care,
Possible to do a pre-order and pickup at Vegas? That would be absolutely perfect for me since I'll be there for the race a few days earlier and will save me shipping costs to Asia.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great review, you guys must be stoked!

http://train4autism.org/
Quote Reply
Re: FLO 60 and 90 wheel review [bingobong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bingobong wrote:
Canadian wrote:
Tom3 wrote:
Thanks! Those are great prices! As far as the delivery, it's already been mentioned above, you will miss most of this season....but if I were you I would really push to have some ready for Vegas and Kona. Good PR before everything winds down for the winter.

I agree. We are from Vegas so we hope to have a booth at the expo and have some product there. Expensing a trip to Hawaii our first year in business may a little challenging but we would love to have wheels ready for that race.

Take care,
Possible to do a pre-order and pickup at Vegas? That would be absolutely perfect for me since I'll be there for the race a few days earlier and will save me shipping costs to Asia.

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you. I'm in the middle of moving today so I haven't been in front of my computer much. To answer your question, that could definitely work. Let us get our pre-order squared away and we can work out the details after that. Just send me a PM or an email during the pre-order.

Thanks for the support and congrats on making it to the 70.3 World Championships.

Chris Thornham
Quote Reply
Re: FLO 60 and 90 wheel review [coltank17] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
coltank17 wrote:
Great review, you guys must be stoked!

Thank you! Yes we are very happy with the review. It really confirms that all of the hard work we have been doing has been focused in the right direction.

We appreciate the support,

Chris Thornham
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
These look like pretty sweet wheels at a pretty sweet price. I wonder if they're any closer to market?
Quote Reply
Re: FLO 60 and 90 wheel review [Spiridon Louis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Spiridon Louis wrote:
These look like pretty sweet wheels at a pretty sweet price. I wonder if they're any closer to market?

We should be signing our contract with our new factory any day now. We have already started developing design drawings with the new factory for building our molds. No dates set in stone yet but we are definitely getting much closer. We are very excited out the new factory and improved products.

Thanks for the compliments,

Chris Thornham
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As an estimate we are guessing first wheels will ship 60-90 days after pre-order closes. Also, current price estimates are at $349 for front 60 and 90 mm wheels, $399 for the rear wheels and $499 for disc wheels.

Ok, now I get it. I have not been following your evolution too closely, so I have not really paid attention to your pricing goals. I went off on a run the other day after reading something that led me to believe that your wheels would be "competitively priced," which I interpreted as still a lot of money but not two or three grand. I was wondering how they/you think you are going to get people to take a chance on a new, unproven (by the market) wheel that still costs a lot of money. And now I know. They won't be a ton of money. For $350, I might consider replacing my old FP60 front with something deeper. Carry on. :)

Chad
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sweet I should have some insurance bucks left after I get my frame :0)
Can't wait till they come out!!!!

Quote | Reply
Wow. $750 for a 90mm wheel set and $500 for a disc? If this holds up you can count me in, although it'll be sometime mid-next year (I'm forcing myself to achieve a sub-58:00 40k before I spring for awesome wheels like these).
Quote Reply
Re: FLO 60 and 90 wheel review [cdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cdw wrote:
As an estimate we are guessing first wheels will ship 60-90 days after pre-order closes. Also, current price estimates are at $349 for front 60 and 90 mm wheels, $399 for the rear wheels and $499 for disc wheels.

Ok, now I get it. I have not been following your evolution too closely, so I have not really paid attention to your pricing goals. I went off on a run the other day after reading something that led me to believe that your wheels would be "competitively priced," which I interpreted as still a lot of money but not two or three grand. I was wondering how they/you think you are going to get people to take a chance on a new, unproven (by the market) wheel that still costs a lot of money. And now I know. They won't be a ton of money. For $350, I might consider replacing my old FP60 front with something deeper. Carry on. :)

Chad

Right now we are still under $800 for the set. Even with our new factory. That, as you say, should make us pretty cost competitive.

All the best,

Chris Thornham
Quote Reply
Re: FLO 60 and 90 wheel review [gabbiev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gabbiev wrote:
Canadian wrote:
Spiridon Louis wrote:

We should be signing our contract with our new factory any day now. We have already started developing design drawings with the new factory for building our molds. No dates set in stone yet but we are definitely getting much closer. We are very excited out the new factory and improved products.

Thanks for the compliments,

Looks interesting--how does one pre-order?

When we are ready to do a full scale factory run we are going to allow our customers to pre-order. Pre-ordering customers will be guaranteed a set of wheels when our first "stock" shows up. After pre-order, customers will wait (we are guessing and will confirm with our new factory) 60-90 days before their products are shipped. If you would like information about our pre-order I suggest you sign up for our newsletter on our website as we will be releasing the news there first. You could also "like" us on facebook, follow us on our blog or twitter.

Thank you for the interest. Let me know if you have any additional questions,

Chris Thornham
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not to be negative as I wish you the best of luck but it seems like this process is taking forever. In hindsight do you wish that you had waited until you were further along in the process before you made it all public?
Quote Reply
Re: FLO 60 and 90 wheel review [bmanners] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bmanners wrote:
Sweet I should have some insurance bucks left after I get my frame :0)
Can't wait till they come out!!!!

Thanks for the continued support. What new frame are you getting?

Chris Thornham
Quote Reply
Re: FLO 60 and 90 wheel review [crazyarm07] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
crazyarm07 wrote:
Wow. $750 for a 90mm wheel set and $500 for a disc? If this holds up you can count me in, although it'll be sometime mid-next year (I'm forcing myself to achieve a sub-58:00 40k before I spring for awesome wheels like these).

Wheelsets should still be under $800 and our FLO DISCS are still on target for $500. We'll do our best to keep everything as close to those numbers as possible.

Chris Thornham
Quote Reply
Re: FLO 60 and 90 wheel review [Chris G] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chris G wrote:
Not to be negative as I wish you the best of luck but it seems like this process is taking forever. In hindsight do you wish that you had waited until you were further along in the process before you made it all public?

Actually no. When we made this public we were on track to go into full scale production. It was impossible for us to know that our factory was going to... for lack of better terms... screw us. We lost a ton of money and our molds were useless to other factories. We were forced to start over.

In the end we are going to have a much better product. Our followers have thanked us time and time again for being open and honest. The majority of them have enjoyed following our journey.

You've said our process is taking forever. Do you know what the process is? We are not simply placing our sticker on an open molded product. We have designed our fairing shapes from scratch. This took months of CFD testing followed by wind tunnel testing. We then had to select all of our components, find a list of factories, go through the design phase with each factory, create customer fairing molds, build prototypes, test the prototypes, re-design, re-prototype, re-design, re-prototype... oops there goes our factory... start over finding a new factory, go through the whole process again.

I know from the outside it's easy to say those guys are taking forever, but if you saw the process from my shoes I'm sure you'd think differently.

Could we have released the news at a better time? Maybe, but I think it would be hard to determine that time. All I know is that I've made a ton of friends in the process of starting this company/releasing the news and we now have a few thousand people signed up for the pre-order.

Finally, we wanted the community to be a part of our design process. We wanted the community to give us their suggestions, so they felt they had a hand in producing a product they they liked. Because of the community there have been many changes to our final product...

To name a few:

A new logo
Black rims
Improved skewers
etc.

I think in the end this will all work out. Our followers and future customers who purchase our products will receive better products as a result of our "process" even if it has taken "forever".

Chris Thornham
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since your main goal seems to be price (and not necessarily aerodynamics). I don't see why you didn't just copy the old 404/ new sram fairing shape. Somebody has already ran all the CFD and aero testing and determined it is a pretty good shape and relatively fast. Not only that but the patent has ran out so you can just copy it with no worries. That seems like it would have been a lot faster and easier and then you could of used that money to make another generation. That is probably what I would of done.

Ride Scoozy Electric Bicycles
http://www.RideScoozy.com
Quote Reply
Re: FLO 60 and 90 wheel review [msuguy512] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
msuguy512 wrote:
Since your main goal seems to be price (and not necessarily aerodynamics). I don't see why you didn't just copy the old 404/ new sram fairing shape. Somebody has already ran all the CFD and aero testing and determined it is a pretty good shape and relatively fast. Not only that but the patent has ran out so you can just copy it with no worries. That seems like it would have been a lot faster and easier and then you could of used that money to make another generation. That is probably what I would of done.

Our main goal was to produce high quality, leading edge aerodynamic wheels at a great price. We are not in the business of "copying" other peoples designs. That didn't feel right to us. We wanted to develop our own shapes and produce a product that we could be proud of. I think our aero data and our pricepoints are a good indication that we will accomplish our goals.

Take care,

Chris Thornham
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This, Chris, is what will make your business successful. Because, the public will be able to have a wheelset that will approximate the speed of new designs at a fraction of the cost. When the wheels are here, then why would others go with the old copy of the 404 for same or greater price. You have stated your goals and we all look forward to seeing the final product - and especially racing them!!!

Brent

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Canadian wrote:
Chris G wrote:

Actually no. When we made this public we were on track to go into full scale production. It was impossible for us to know that our factory was going to... for lack of better terms... screw us. We lost a ton of money and our molds were useless to other factories. We were forced to start over.

In the end we are going to have a much better product. Our followers have thanked us time and time again for being open and honest. The majority of them have enjoyed following our journey.

You've said our process is taking forever. Do you know what the process is? We are not simply placing our sticker on an open molded product. We have designed our fairing shapes from scratch. This took months of CFD testing followed by wind tunnel testing. We then had to select all of our components, find a list of factories, go through the design phase with each factory, create customer fairing molds, build prototypes, test the prototypes, re-design, re-prototype, re-design, re-prototype... oops there goes our factory... start over finding a new factory, go through the whole process again.

I know from the outside it's easy to say those guys are taking forever, but if you saw the process from my shoes I'm sure you'd think differently.

Could we have released the news at a better time? Maybe, but I think it would be hard to determine that time. All I know is that I've made a ton of friends in the process of starting this company/releasing the news and we now have a few thousand people signed up for the pre-order.

Finally, we wanted the community to be a part of our design process. We wanted the community to give us their suggestions, so they felt they had a hand in producing a product they they liked. Because of the community there have been many changes to our final product...

To name a few:

A new logo
Black rims
Improved skewers
etc.

I think in the end this will all work out. Our followers and future customers who purchase our products will receive better products as a result of our "process" even if it has taken "forever".

Thanks for the response. I have no idea what the process is. It seems like everything I ever get involved always it much harder than anticipated once I actually get down to doing it. I guess you are experiencing that as well. Again, I wish you guys the best in your venture and am excited to see the products come to market in the near future. The black brake track looks awesome. I would be shocked if we did not see that on some other wheels very soon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear about the delays and sourcing issues. Not fun, but you're adapting well and landing on your feet.

But since you are starting new, any chance of a narrower front hub design to get a little more of an aero advantage? Are hubs like that even available from your suppliers?

Good luck, it is great to watch your progress.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm excited about these wheels. I got rid of my disc because of the issues I had with it, and have been on a FB60 set with a disc cover. That's fine for ease of use, etc, but not a perfect blend of race wheels. I'm in for a set of these for sure. LOVE the concept of designing something high quality from scratch and pricing it for the average athlete. Thanks tons! I signed up for the newsletter and can't wait for pre-ordering.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Canadian wrote:

I hate to be a dick, but getting screwed over was not an unforeseeable risk. It's a fact of life when you do business with low cost suppliers in China. In fact when you asked opinions on this forum a year and a half ago it was mentioned:

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post=2662123;page=3;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;mh=25;#2662945

Good on you for having the capital, determination and resourcefulness to survive in spite of getting hosed. But getting hosed is a fact of life for everyone. Even the 800 lb gorillas like Apple.
Last edited by: jpb: Sep 6, 11 9:20
Quote Reply
Re: FLO 60 and 90 wheel review [dfru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dfru wrote:
This, Chris, is what will make your business successful. Because, the public will be able to have a wheelset that will approximate the speed of new designs at a fraction of the cost. When the wheels are here, then why would others go with the old copy of the 404 for same or greater price. You have stated your goals and we all look forward to seeing the final product - and especially racing them!!!

Brent

Brent,

Thanks for the continued support. Your thoughts are right on track with ours.

All the best,

Chris Thornham
Quote Reply

Prev Next