Where would be the best place to live in 2035, 2050?

I’m curious what folks are thinking about. And why?

i think canada’s smart money for the long term because they’ve got lots of space, water, and natural resources. solid fundamentals and a well-educated population. on the other hand, they’re maybe dangerously reliant on volatile commodities and an aging population.

having visited the rest of the brics, i’d really only want to live brazil. that could be a 1st-world player in 30 years.

little old switzerland is also looking fairly good for the long haul, but would really hurt if their banking sector went tits-up.

-mike

My house.

2035: Nuclear Fallout shelter
2050: Mars

I’ve thought about Canada or Michigan as well. Both have access to water, soil, slightly north, away from the coasts.

• Norway: not in the EU. Huge oil reserves/production, beautiful country, beautiful women, modern country

• Southern Chile/Argentina: Patagonia is beautiful, if you have enough USD you could live like a king, however environment is harsh.

• Brazil is another good option. Would just have to pick city/location carefully due to the crime. I would stay out of most of the very large cities I think.

• I think there are a lot of good options in the USA depending on what you need/want. MI might be having its problems now, but they have a lot of freshwater and other natural resources.

I forgot to mention in addition to MI, I think places like ID, MT, eastern portions of WA&OR, WI, TN, UT, WY and a few other states offer some great potential in the future. Especially if you want to buy some property and grow your own food.

If you are looking for a more urban environment because of certain employment than that would change things.

2035 Assisted living
2050 dead

I was born in 1951. I expect to see 2035. Not so sure about 2050. And that might be a blessing considering the way the world seems to be heading.

Right here where I live now and two vacation homes in Germany and another in Ecuador.

I’ve thought about Canada or Michigan as well. Both have access to water, soil, slightly north, away from the coasts.

Yep. That is why we are staying put in middle of nowhere upstate NY. Very close to Canada, cold in winter but plenty of wood to burn for heat, live on the water, and a community that is pretty much self-sufficient.

And if all hell breaks loose, my wife and kids are also Swiss citizens…

• Norway: not in the EU. Huge oil reserves/production, beautiful country, beautiful women, modern country

+1
And add Sweden. Even though they are in the EU, they aren’t in the EuroZone today - still pimping the Krona.

Also add that in 2035, I’ll only be 56/57, which, at the rate they are going, might be right in the retirement age. The Swedes and Norwegians know how to take care of old people. And Scandinavians live forever, lots of open space, and have the Finns to protect from Russian invasion lol.

I was born in 1951. I expect to see 2035. Not so sure about 2050. And that might be a blessing considering the way the world seems to be heading.

Really, I think things are looking better all the time.

Yep. That is why we are staying put in middle of nowhere upstate NY. Very close to Canada, cold in winter but plenty of wood to burn for heat, live on the water, and a community that is pretty much self-sufficient.

I’d be shocked if that were true, or you have an unusual definition of self-sufficient. How much of your community’s food and energy are produced locally, let alone the material products the community uses?

I’d be shocked if that were true, or you have an unusual definition of self-sufficient. How much of your community’s food and energy are produced locally, let alone the material products the community uses?

I said “pretty much”

I live on one of the most dammed rivers in the US - and what electricity doesn’t come from the hydro plants mostly comes from wind farms. We don’t have much in the way of oil/natural gas, so that is an issue. Most people heat with wood. This past winter was our first year in a new house and we did not for the first time in 5 years and a fireplace insert is going in our downstairs fireplace by the end of July.

If we were savvy enough, we could by a year’s supply of fruits and vegetables and can them from the Amish at very low prices, and several of our friends get all of their produce from community gardening co-ops. Plenty of bison and beef raised locally, as well as pork and poultry. We have gotten out of the habit, but it is not too hard to purchase all of those locally. For fish, I walk out my back door - walleye, perch, and bass. Also grouse, partridge, and an abundance of deer in the area, and I reload my shells (I’d have to learn to bow hunt and trap when the gunpowder ran out). For sugar - plenty of maple syrup - we only buy that which is produced in our town. I have a stack of lumber that was milled by the amish - most recently a huge fir tree that got uprooted.

Not saying this place is the perfect place to be in the case of a Zombie apocalypse, but I can’t think of a place I’d rather be if the shit hit the fan.

Most importantly, a friend at work is starting to grow his own hops…

I agree with your top 2,
Norway was on my top list
Pucon, Chile 2nd
Patagonia and to finish off South Island of New Zealand.

So really what you meant is a community that is potentially self-sufficient and even then…

I would imagine a large number of people would have to return to farming and basic trades…

Again, I’d be surprised if at the moment more than a very small percentage of your community’s food needs are met locally, and probably almost none of your material needs are produced locally. It would take a major restructuring of almost any local community in modern America to actually become anywhere near self-sufficient.

I’m curious what folks are thinking about. And why?

I like where I am in Maine and don’t really expect the U.S. to go drastically bad (e.g. the religious right really get their hands on power) but…

Canada seems nice, Iceland, northern Europe.

“Really, I think things are looking better all the time”

I don’t. In fact I’m a bit of a pessimist as to what the world will be like in 2050 with 9 billion people, global warming, fresh water supply issues, food shortages, drug resistant plagues, etc., etc. I honestly believe that us baby boomers had the best time in human history. I really do believe a shit storm of some kind is coming and future world might be a very nasty place.

“Really, I think things are looking better all the time”

I don’t. In fact I’m a bit of a pessimist as to what the world will be like in 2050 with 9 billion people, global warming, fresh water supply issues, food shortages, drug resistant plagues, etc., etc. I honestly believe that us baby boomers had the best time in human history. I really do believe a shit storm of some kind is coming and future world might be a very nasty place.

X2 not to mention the increasingly strong hold that certain companies have over legislation regarding agriculture. ( i.e.Montsano)