Things you wished would make a comeback

Grasshopper cocktails

Tiki bars

Talking to people instead of text

Exchange floors

Quality furniture

Stone facades on buildings

Plaster walls

I have a shirt that I have had since high school. First I was hoping it would come back as I loved that shirt. Now I don’t know why I still have it. Even if it came back I wouldn’t wear it.

But I keep it for some odd reason. Maybe it will come back hard for my kids to wear.

Yeah… that will happen.

Other than that, on demand content has ruined my kids. They want what they want and they want it now. Shit, I had to wait until 930 am on Saturdays to watch the Smurfs. It sucked, but you learned patience.

Tiki bars are already back. We have had at least two of them open in the last year here in Nashville.

veiled hats

public fireplaces

witty toasts/afterdinner speeches

spring

I’m always up for the McRib to come back. My kids love McDonalds and on road trips it is so much easier to just give them something they want.

Kids playing non-organized sports is something I’d like to see in my area, not sure if others still do it. Like we used to get a game of kickball or other random things in the church parking lot during the summer. Kids seem to have been taught that a parent needs to set things up for them now.

Afternoon drinking at the office looks like that was fun, so I’d love giving that a shot.

spring

Here here.

I have a shirt that I have had since high school. First I was hoping it would come back as I loved that shirt. Now I don’t know why I still have it. Even if it came back I wouldn’t wear it.

But I keep it for some odd reason. Maybe it will come back hard for my kids to wear.

Yeah… that will happen.

Other than that, on demand content has ruined my kids. They want what they want and they want it now. Shit, I had to wait until 930 am on Saturdays to watch the Smurfs. It sucked, but you learned patience.

Beaver Canoe??

on demand, yeah I had that experience last weekend. I was out running errands and had to bring my kids to the office because I forgot something. They saw the TV in the staff kitchen and wanted to watch cartoons, so I turned it to YTV and SpongeBob was on. They wanted to watch Paw Patrol. Sorry, no can do…

Tiki bars are already back.//

They never really left here in Valyermo, been here since 2005!!!

Grasshopper cocktails

Tiki bars

Talking to people instead of text

Exchange floors

Quality furniture

Stone facades on buildings

Plaster walls

When Tim Hortons franchises made their own donuts in-store…

-Track cycling in the US (was huge before sports gambling was banned)

-The 9-5 era my parents saw

-Less but really good vs. more and really crappy

Tiki bars are already back. We have had at least two of them open in the last year here in Nashville.

I know there are at least a couple in Chicago - so I don’t know what he’s talking about

This article lists 8 in chicago
https://urbanmatter.com/chicago/8-chicago-tiki-bars/

New Coke and the energy of my university days. But mostly, bipartisanship.

I find it unfortunate (?) that manual transmissions are going away, most likely never to return. Technology has made them worthless from a performance standpoint, so they are just a skill relic from the past.

Last weekend my son called me and asked it I could still drive a manual. Him and his friends were moving someone and they had borrowed someone’s grandfather’s truck - an old Dodge with a 4 speed manual and a 2 speed rear end. No one had any idea how to make it move. I spent the day driving it around, and although I was a little shaky at the start, for the most part I did fine. The kids were amazed.

The last real manual I had was a CJ-7 in the mid 90’s. I had a 2008 MX-5 (Miata) Club that had a 5 speed in it, but that car didn’t really shift like an old manual. My new MX-5 came with a 6 speed auto and had to be special ordered with the manual for an extra cost. I passed. It shifts up and down just like it was a manual, only it never makes a mistake and is almost always in the right gear.

Boeing

They used to be the epitome of the world’s aerospace industry. Seemed like a great company. However, they seem to have screwed up everything they’ve tried over the past decade.

**Kids playing non-organized sports is something I’d like to see in my area, not sure if others still do it. Like we used to get a game of kickball or other random things in the church parking lot during the summer. Kids seem to have been taught that a parent needs to set things up for them now. **

^^^This x 1,000. This was the norm in my neighborhood growing up where there were always enough kids around to get some type of game going in someone’s yard or driveway, or head to a field down the street. Didn’t matter if it was kickball, baseball, football, street hockey, pickle/run the bases, basketball, even just a game of catch. Rare that kids do that on their own now.

Cajun food (I know it is still out there, but haven’t been to a good Cajun place in eons)

Ponderosa restaurants

Cloaks.

Ringing the dinner bell to call the kids in from unsupervised play. We used to call our game smear the queer. Not so anymore.

Joe Carill’s backdoor cut, pass and lay up in basketball. Magic Johnson’s fastbreaking Lakers. Larry’s Celtics. Dean’s four corners can stay in the corner for all I care.

ringing your neighbor’s door to ask for a cup of sugar, code for I really need someone to talk to.

more summer shade tree mechanic gathering places sharing cold beers and story, or gossip depending on who was or wasn’t present.

block parties.

you get the gist, neighborhoods returning to be neighborhoods not bedroom communities.

Streaking and drive-by mooning people as a goof.

I know there are at least a couple in Chicago - so I don’t know what he’s talking about

This article lists 8 in chicago
https://urbanmatter.com/chicago/8-chicago-tiki-bars/

Been to most of those. Pale facsimiles of Trader Vic’s