Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Rio Olympics Woes
Quote | Reply
Russian athlete banned from competing in Rio Olympics for doping charges. Nice job Lord Sebastian Coe.
http://www.cbssports.com/...o-doping-violations/

It's June less that 2 months before the games start and Brazil still have organizational issues.
https://www.theguardian.com/...y-olympic-games-2016
Last edited by: b4itwascold: Jun 17, 16 18:03
Quote Reply
Re: Rio Olympics [b4itwascold] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The news about Russia is real juice, pun intended. That country is a mess and should be banned for all of the ass backward stuff they do. I heard today that some athletes may be allowed to compete providing they are found clean and finish training i. Other countries. The games will be very interesting.


_____________________________________
DISH is how we do it.
Quote Reply
Re: Rio Olympics Woes [b4itwascold] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
The Russian ministry issued a statement following the IAAF decision, saying "we now appeal to the members of the International Olympic Committee to not only consider the impact that our athletes' exclusion will have on their dreams and the people of Russia, but also that the Olympics themselves will be diminished by their absence."

So basically they think that they don't need to change because their presence is an integral part of the games experience.
Quote Reply
Re: Rio Olympics [travelmama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
from the article:
"IOC President Thomas Bach said measures could include the exclusion of entire national federations under a "zero-tolerance" policy, which means that all Russian athletes could potentially be banned from participating in Rio
conflicting reports will see.
Quote Reply
Re: Rio Olympics Woes [racin_rusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So basically they think that they don't need to change because their presence is an integral part of the games experience.[/quote]
It is in their interest to say that which is bullshit of course. See in 1984 they boycott the Olympics in LA and the Olympics went on to be just fine (one of the best ever). As travelmama said they are desperate.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/..._2518000/2518931.stm
Quote Reply
Re: Rio Olympics Woes [b4itwascold] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually the US has said the same thing in the past, and honestly tell us what you want but the 80 & 84 games were shit but that was because it was stupid politics interfering with the conduct of the games.
Quote Reply
Re: Rio Olympics Woes [b4itwascold] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's a mess. The velodrome was supposed to be completed for trial racing to test out the facilities, but it's so far behind that a track wasn't even laid down by the time that was supposed to happen. If it even is completed, the first racing on it will the Olympics. I believe the cost is supposed to be north of $40million...for a facility that will almost surely sit unused. It's a joke, but should come as no surprise with the IOC in charge.
Quote Reply
Re: Rio Olympics Woes [MidwestRoadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wasn't there one Olympics with a death trap of a veledrome? Like a bumpy, concrete track where several riders careered off over the top? Though I guess they didn't get Zika.
Quote Reply
Re: Rio Olympics Woes [b4itwascold] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i've been wondering about rio too. lots of doping hanging over the games, massive (domestic) political crisis in brazil, zika, and i think rio's just declared a state of emergency. hopefully things come together OK, but it's got the makings of a gongshow.

i think they should give give the summer games to greece indefinitely - or even just for the next 20 years.

-mike

____________________________________
https://lshtm.academia.edu/MikeCallaghan

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: Rio Olympics Woes [mv2005] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mv2005 wrote:
Wasn't there one Olympics with a death trap of a veledrome? Like a bumpy, concrete track where several riders careered off over the top? Though I guess they didn't get Zika.
No, that was a public bike path along the waterfront that collapsed killing two or three and injuring a few. The velodrome is more in land.


_____________________________________
DISH is how we do it.
Quote Reply
Re: Rio Olympics Woes [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iron_mike wrote:
i've been wondering about rio too. lots of doping hanging over the games, massive (domestic) political crisis in brazil, zika, and i think rio's just declared a state of emergency. hopefully things come together OK, but it's got the makings of a gongshow.

i think they should give give the summer games to greece indefinitely - or even just for the next 20 years.

-mike
Why Greece? That country is just as corrupt amd in financial shambles as is Brazil. The IOC should award cities that can actually handle in the games. Cities that already have venues that can be used and hotels that can occupy masses of spectators. The games always leave cities amd countries in more than imaginable debt. Los Angeles with its maddedning traffic is the only city worth having the summer games because so much is already hear and wont go to waste. If I am not mistaken no city has yet to break even by hosting any games.


_____________________________________
DISH is how we do it.
Quote Reply
Re: Rio Olympics Woes [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iron_mike wrote:

i think they should give give the summer games to greece indefinitely - or even just for the next 20 years.

-mike

Because the Greek economy is so robust and stable?

2018 Races:
Augusta 70.3, September 23rd | Waco 70.3, Waco, TX, October 28th | Cartagena 70.3, Cartagena, Colombia December 2nd

Gear: Dimond Bikes | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Rio Olympics Woes [mv2005] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't remember that, but it very well could be. It seems like shoehorning a boatload of events into some of these cities that aren't equipped with existing infrastructure is a consistent, colossal waste of resources for a short-term event and ends up causing problems. I really don't understand why a city would even want to host the Olympics unless they already have a ton of the infrastructure in place.



mv2005 wrote:
Wasn't there one Olympics with a death trap of a veledrome? Like a bumpy, concrete track where several riders careered off over the top? Though I guess they didn't get Zika.
Quote Reply
Re: Rio Olympics Woes [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
iron_mike wrote:


i think they should give give the summer games to greece indefinitely - or even just for the next 20 years.

-mike


Because the Greek economy is so robust and stable?

Because, if you give it to one city indefinitely, then the infrastructure continues to get use and be updated every few years, the athletes know what to expect at the competition, there's no corrupt bidding process and corrupt Olympic construction projects that go unused after the couple of weeks of Olympic games. You also eliminate the butthurt over bids, inability to put things together, politics, etc. And you prevent a situation where either only the rich well developed countries ever get the Olympics, or the less developed countries have to scramble and be embarrassed and lose money trying to build an Olympics. You give it to Greece, because they're the historic home of the modern Olympics, and then the IOC could concentrate on ensuring that that single set of venues is well built, well maintained, available to Olympic athletes or hopefuls for training, etc.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Rio Olympics Woes [travelmama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
travelmama wrote:
iron_mike wrote:
i've been wondering about rio too. lots of doping hanging over the games, massive (domestic) political crisis in brazil, zika, and i think rio's just declared a state of emergency. hopefully things come together OK, but it's got the makings of a gongshow.

i think they should give give the summer games to greece indefinitely - or even just for the next 20 years.

-mike

Why Greece? That country is just as corrupt amd in financial shambles as is Brazil. The IOC should award cities that can actually handle in the games. Cities that already have venues that can be used and hotels that can occupy masses of spectators. The games always leave cities amd countries in more than imaginable debt. Los Angeles with its maddedning traffic is the only city worth having the summer games because so much is already hear and wont go to waste. If I am not mistaken no city has yet to break even by hosting any games.

well, the greeks invented it. and they've hosted recently, so they already have the machinery in place. they have a pretty robust tourist sector, so that's in place. economy sucks? yes. but the games could bring in some $.

if you look at the way things are going, wealthy, stable democracies don't want the games any more. there have been a handful of places recently that have actually voted against holding them: Toronto, Boston, Hamburg, etc. it's far, far too wasteful to rebuild the entire games infrastructure from scratch every 2 years, and increasingly the only countries who are willing and able to are non-democratic.

-mike

____________________________________
https://lshtm.academia.edu/MikeCallaghan

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: Rio Olympics Woes [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
iron_mike wrote:


i think they should give give the summer games to greece indefinitely - or even just for the next 20 years.

-mike


Because the Greek economy is so robust and stable?


Because, if you give it to one city indefinitely, then the infrastructure continues to get use and be updated every few years, the athletes know what to expect at the competition, there's no corrupt bidding process and corrupt Olympic construction projects that go unused after the couple of weeks of Olympic games. You also eliminate the butthurt over bids, inability to put things together, politics, etc. And you prevent a situation where either only the rich well developed countries ever get the Olympics, or the less developed countries have to scramble and be embarrassed and lose money trying to build an Olympics. You give it to Greece, because they're the historic home of the modern Olympics, and then the IOC could concentrate on ensuring that that single set of venues is well built, well maintained, available to Olympic athletes or hopefuls for training, etc.

I get all that and I won't disagree with the premise and reasoning.

BUT... who's paying for it? The Greeks sure as fuck can't and won't.

2018 Races:
Augusta 70.3, September 23rd | Waco 70.3, Waco, TX, October 28th | Cartagena 70.3, Cartagena, Colombia December 2nd

Gear: Dimond Bikes | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Rio Olympics Woes [travelmama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why Greece? That country is just as corrupt amd in financial shambles as is Brazil. The IOC should award cities that can actually handle in the games. Cities that already have venues that can be used and hotels that can occupy masses of spectators. The games always leave cities amd countries in more than imaginable debt. Los Angeles with its maddedning traffic is the only city worth having the summer games because so much is already hear and wont go to waste. If I am not mistaken no city has yet to break even by hosting any games.
-----------------------
I agree with LA and it's not only the venues are in place but the weather is generally good too.


Train safe & smart
Bob

Quote Reply
Re: Rio Olympics Woes [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
slowguy wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
iron_mike wrote:


i think they should give give the summer games to greece indefinitely - or even just for the next 20 years.

-mike


Because the Greek economy is so robust and stable?


Because, if you give it to one city indefinitely, then the infrastructure continues to get use and be updated every few years, the athletes know what to expect at the competition, there's no corrupt bidding process and corrupt Olympic construction projects that go unused after the couple of weeks of Olympic games. You also eliminate the butthurt over bids, inability to put things together, politics, etc. And you prevent a situation where either only the rich well developed countries ever get the Olympics, or the less developed countries have to scramble and be embarrassed and lose money trying to build an Olympics. You give it to Greece, because they're the historic home of the modern Olympics, and then the IOC could concentrate on ensuring that that single set of venues is well built, well maintained, available to Olympic athletes or hopefuls for training, etc.


I get all that and I won't disagree with the premise and reasoning.

BUT... who's paying for it? The Greeks sure as fuck can't and won't.

They just held the Olympics in 2004. If we decided to make it always Greece, then it might be reasonable to have each nation's Olympic committee chip in for the upkeep and renovations.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Rio Olympics Woes [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iron_mike wrote:
travelmama wrote:
iron_mike wrote:
i've been wondering about rio too. lots of doping hanging over the games, massive (domestic) political crisis in brazil, zika, and i think rio's just declared a state of emergency. hopefully things come together OK, but it's got the makings of a gongshow.

i think they should give give the summer games to greece indefinitely - or even just for the next 20 years.

-mike

Why Greece? That country is just as corrupt amd in financial shambles as is Brazil. The IOC should award cities that can actually handle in the games. Cities that already have venues that can be used and hotels that can occupy masses of spectators. The games always leave cities amd countries in more than imaginable debt. Los Angeles with its maddedning traffic is the only city worth having the summer games because so much is already hear and wont go to waste. If I am not mistaken no city has yet to break even by hosting any games.

well, the greeks invented it. and they've hosted recently, so they already have the machinery in place. they have a pretty robust tourist sector, so that's in place. economy sucks? yes. but the games could bring in some $.

if you look at the way things are going, wealthy, stable democracies don't want the games any more. there have been a handful of places recently that have actually voted against holding them: Toronto, Boston, Hamburg, etc. it's far, far too wasteful to rebuild the entire games infrastructure from scratch every 2 years, and increasingly the only countries who are willing and able to are non-democratic.

-mike
So what if the Greeks invented the games. Do you think that back in 1896 they thought the games would be as big as they are now with over 200 nations to be represented? Athens had a much smaller population and could handle the ten or so events. Athens could not handle its last hosting and the country is still suffering due to its lost. No matter how robust tourism is in Greece, the country is poor and has been for a while now.
There are too many costs and many more losses involved which is why so many cities do not want them. Budapest? For the Hungarians to want them is surprising to me because the city is not that big. I think the IOC should allow consideration to cities that can actually handle the venues with too much more to build and that will be useful to communities afterward.


_____________________________________
DISH is how we do it.
Quote Reply
Re: Rio Olympics Woes [travelmama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I think the IOC should allow consideration to cities that can actually handle the venues with too much more to build and that will be useful to communities afterward.

There is very little use for many of the Olympic venues for communities afterwards. There just isn't lasting interest in velodromes, short white water kayak courses, etc. That's why so many of these cities have Olympic venues that just sit and rot afterwards. That's why picking one place and using the facilities over and over might make more sense.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Rio Olympics Woes [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
Quote:
I think the IOC should allow consideration to cities that can actually handle the venues with too much more to build and that will be useful to communities afterward.

There is very little use for many of the Olympic venues for communities afterwards. There just isn't lasting interest in velodromes, short white water kayak courses, etc. That's why so many of these cities have Olympic venues that just sit and rot afterwards. That's why picking one place and using the facilities over and over might make more sense.
I agree and think of all the past hosting cities, Los Angeles is the best.


_____________________________________
DISH is how we do it.
Quote Reply
Re: Rio Olympics Woes [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
slowguy wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
iron_mike wrote:


i think they should give give the summer games to greece indefinitely - or even just for the next 20 years.

-mike


Because the Greek economy is so robust and stable?


Because, if you give it to one city indefinitely, then the infrastructure continues to get use and be updated every few years, the athletes know what to expect at the competition, there's no corrupt bidding process and corrupt Olympic construction projects that go unused after the couple of weeks of Olympic games. You also eliminate the butthurt over bids, inability to put things together, politics, etc. And you prevent a situation where either only the rich well developed countries ever get the Olympics, or the less developed countries have to scramble and be embarrassed and lose money trying to build an Olympics. You give it to Greece, because they're the historic home of the modern Olympics, and then the IOC could concentrate on ensuring that that single set of venues is well built, well maintained, available to Olympic athletes or hopefuls for training, etc.


I get all that and I won't disagree with the premise and reasoning.

BUT... who's paying for it? The Greeks sure as fuck can't and won't.


They just held the Olympics in 2004. If we decided to make it always Greece, then it might be reasonable to have each nation's Olympic committee chip in for the upkeep and renovations.

Go look at pictures of what the '04 olympic venues look like now. They're basically in ruins and unusable. So that's not an option.

Why on earth would other nations pitch in billions of dollars to build and keep up infrastructure in another country that offers little to no benefit to the countries pitching in? That's just not reasonable or realistic.

2018 Races:
Augusta 70.3, September 23rd | Waco 70.3, Waco, TX, October 28th | Cartagena 70.3, Cartagena, Colombia December 2nd

Gear: Dimond Bikes | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Rio Olympics Woes [b4itwascold] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
See in 1984 they boycott the Olympics in LA and the Olympics went on to be just fine (one of the best ever).


They might have been good in terms of organisation but when the Soviet Union wasn't there, every gold medalist would have an asterisk beside their name, particularly in sports where the Soviets dominated. The world wants to see the best athletes compete, and it's not the same if one of the top countries isn't involved.

You're such a Trump ball washer! - Duffy - Feb 8, 17 13:18
Quote Reply
Re: Rio Olympics Woes [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
See in 1984 they boycott the Olympics in LA and the Olympics went on to be just fine (one of the best ever).



They might have been good in terms of organisation but when the Soviet Union wasn't there, every gold medalist would have an asterisk beside their name, particularly in sports where the Soviets dominated. The world wants to see the best athletes compete, and it's not the same if one of the top countries isn't involved.


I loved the 1984 games because of that dumbass (in hindsight) McDonald's promotion where they gave away free food when the U.S. won a medal... and we won a lot of medals that year due to the Soviet/Eastern Bloc boycott... and my 14 year old self ate a shit ton of free Mickey D's that summer. I had a less discerning palette back then. :-)


http://badmarketing.co.uk/...d-the-1984-olympics/

2018 Races:
Augusta 70.3, September 23rd | Waco 70.3, Waco, TX, October 28th | Cartagena 70.3, Cartagena, Colombia December 2nd

Gear: Dimond Bikes | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Last edited by: The GMAN: Jun 18, 16 9:39
Quote Reply
Re: Rio Olympics Woes [travelmama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
travelmama wrote:
slowguy wrote:
Quote:
I think the IOC should allow consideration to cities that can actually handle the venues with too much more to build and that will be useful to communities afterward.

There is very little use for many of the Olympic venues for communities afterwards. There just isn't lasting interest in velodromes, short white water kayak courses, etc. That's why so many of these cities have Olympic venues that just sit and rot afterwards. That's why picking one place and using the facilities over and over might make more sense.
I agree and think of all the past hosting cities, Los Angeles is the best.

There is absolutely no fucking way the United States would be chosen as a permanent host. Most of Europe and Asia would bitch and moan and be Uber butthurt
Quote Reply

Prev Next