Paper Straws

First - let me say that I love turtles. I’m all for protecting them.
But I hate paper straws!

The subway next to my office switched to these paper/cardboard straws for the drinks. The paper feels ‘dry’ on your lips when you start the drink and ends up being soggy and flaky by the time you’re done.
For what? 5g of plastic saved? The cup lid is still made from Polystyrene. The take out bag is High-Density Polyethylene.
And I can’t use a soggy paper straw to pick the bits of steak and cheese from between my teeth after.

Give me back my plastic straw!

*** Old Man Rant Over ***

First - let me say that I love turtles. I’m all for protecting them.
But I hate paper straws!

The subway next to my office switched to these paper/cardboard straws for the drinks. **The paper feels ‘dry’ on your lips when you start the drink and ends up being soggy and flaky by the time you’re done. **
For what? 5g of plastic saved? The cup lid is still made from Polystyrene. The take out bag is High-Density Polyethylene.
And I can’t use a soggy paper straw to pick the bits of steak and cheese from between my teeth after.

Give me back my plastic straw!

*** Old Man Rant Over ***

Paper straws had the same problems 50 years ago. So much for technological progress…

Well the good news is that paper straws do exactly jack shit for turtles. This is the typical over reaction to the wrong problem.

They are terrible, I agree. I just forgo a straw. Why do I need it anyway?

I’m not a fan of how they feel warm against your lips but then you have cold drink coming in. Feels almost like the after effects of Novocaine.

And like you I’m not against using less plastic, it is almost certainly a really good thing. But straws are such a tiny proportion of that and get all the focus.

We’d be a lot further ahead if we focused on developing plastics that don’t last 50,000 years.

You can purchase a 4 pack of collapsible metal straws for 20 bucks on Amazon. You will never need another straw again. DO IT NOW or continue to suck the old fashion way.

https://www.amazon.com/Tico-Son-Reusable-Metal-Straws/dp/B07XNHHRPB/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?keywords=collapsible+metal+straw&qid=1578681341&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUE2SElPMEVYU08xMkomZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTA2MzExMjgxVlVaUkNBMFFTNk9EJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAzMDU2MTczU05CWjA2RjgwTktJJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Well the good news is that paper straws do exactly jack shit for turtles. This is the typical over reaction to the wrong problem.

Agreed. There are lots of places to conserve. This isn’t one of them.

Same.

I was given a paper straw for a milkshake at an In-N-Out in San Francisco. We didn’t notice until we had left the restaurant. It was devastating.

This. I outgrew straws years ago. I also don’t use a sippy cup.

I imagine paper straws, like paper bags, require significantly more energy to manufacture and ship than their plastic counterpart, and they suck.

I dunno. Straws are useful if you’re drinking something carbonated – they keep the bubbles off of your face.

They’re also useful if you have facial hair.

I dunno. Straws are useful if you’re drinking something carbonated – they keep the bubbles off of your face.

???

Do you drink beer with a straw?

???

Point taken.

???

He does.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/NQwAAOSw~OdVf8b2/s-l300.jpg

https://cdn.ebaumsworld.com/mediaFiles/picture/705380/85729346.jpg

Paper Straws are trash.

80725287_10158229689038866_7692638116238065664_o.jpg