Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
More United Airlines Screw Ups
Quote | Reply
Gist of the story. United screws up the boarding passes. Guy has same seat as 27-month toddler. Flight attendant tells mom flight is full so you need to put the kid in your lap. Mom flies 3.5 hours with kid in lap (against the FAA's safety advice) because she didn't want to cause a fuss and get dragged off the airplane.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/...headlines&wpmm=1

Fly the friendly skies.


"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: More United Airlines Screw Ups [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sounds like another cockup for an airline that badly needs a win, though to be honest this is also the kind of thing that wouldn't even have registered in the days before the internet.

side note: i hate the excessive use of 'months old' designations for kids that are too old for it. in this case, the damn kid is 2. just say 2.

____________________________________
https://lshtm.academia.edu/MikeCallaghan

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: More United Airlines Screw Ups [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iron_mike wrote:
sounds like another cockup for an airline that badly needs a win, though to be honest this is also the kind of thing that wouldn't even have registered in the days before the internet.
Back in the day, when you could show up at the airport 30 minutes before scheduled takeoff, check a couple of suitcases for free, get on your flight with your card stock boarding pass, and wonder what they'd be serving for the in flight meal.

Sigh


"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: More United Airlines Screw Ups [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess some day one of these things will happen to me and I'll eat these words. But, I'm in my seat and my kid is in his seat. And someone comes up with a ticket for my kid's seat. I simply pull out my boarding pass that says I have that ticket. It's now not my problem. I think I could manage this situation without being beaten. But maybe that's just me.

I don't understand how there was "a problem" scanning the kid's boarding pass and I suspect the kid wasn't sitting in his seat when the other man approached. It feels like there is something missing here still.
Quote Reply
Re: More United Airlines Screw Ups [Spiridon Louis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 It feels like there is something missing here still. //

What is missing is how much more it is going to cost United because they pressured this mom to give up her kids paid for seat. 10/100/1000 times the cost of the original ticket? Now that it is on the national news I'm going with the 1000+ amount. Sure you would have stood up to them, but she probably had to be somewhere and was at the end of a very long trip as I recall he situation. Just wanted to get the hell home with her kid, I understand completely. I would have probably tried to get a nice payday out of it with some free tickets and maybe a hotel room, extend the vacation a bit..
Quote Reply
Re: More United Airlines Screw Ups [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was biking on a gravel road yesterday and a car came toward me with a kid, who looked about 2, with both hands on the steering wheel standing up in front of the mother. Passed by with no problem but it made me laugh. So the solution is -- the kid could have sat on the captain's lap.
Quote Reply
Re: More United Airlines Screw Ups [schroeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think that actually happened in the not so distant past, and the kid hit a button or something and put the plane in free fall or a dive or something kind of bad. I think I would rather have the pilot drunk than have a kid in the cockpit..
Quote Reply
Re: More United Airlines Screw Ups [schroeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
schroeder wrote:
I was biking on a gravel road yesterday and a car came toward me with a kid, who looked about 2, with both hands on the steering wheel standing up in front of the mother. Passed by with no problem but it made me laugh. So the solution is -- the kid could have sat on the captain's lap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qGPgr6Nuck


"...Sometimes it's about getting the most speed out of the motor you have." -- Tom A.
Quote Reply
Re: More United Airlines Screw Ups [MOP_Mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FIFY




Formally known as Cherrycracker
Quote Reply
Re: More United Airlines Screw Ups [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
It feels like there is something missing here still. //

What is missing is how much more it is going to cost United because they pressured this mom to give up her kids paid for seat. 10/100/1000 times the cost of the original ticket? Now that it is on the national news I'm going with the 1000+ amount. Sure you would have stood up to them, but she probably had to be somewhere and was at the end of a very long trip as I recall he situation. Just wanted to get the hell home with her kid, I understand completely. I would have probably tried to get a nice payday out of it with some free tickets and maybe a hotel room, extend the vacation a bit..

Why couldn't she have just politely said, "excuse me, stewardess, there's been a mistake, this is his seat. Here's his ticket." Or if she wasn't going to speak up, why only do so through the press afterwards? She chose to do what she did and then complained. UA effed up, but she's complicit. And again, it seems like there's still a missing piece to this story.
Quote Reply
Re: More United Airlines Screw Ups [Spiridon Louis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
She was quoted as saying something to the effect of "I'm Asian I was afraid they would drag me off the plane".


Formally known as Cherrycracker
Quote Reply
Re: More United Airlines Screw Ups [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alvin Tostig wrote:
iron_mike wrote:
sounds like another cockup for an airline that badly needs a win, though to be honest this is also the kind of thing that wouldn't even have registered in the days before the internet.
Back in the day, when you could show up at the airport 30 minutes before scheduled takeoff, check a couple of suitcases for free, get on your flight with your card stock boarding pass, and wonder what they'd be serving for the in flight meal.

Sigh

True but you were on a piston plane that needed to land every couple of hours
Quote Reply
Re: More United Airlines Screw Ups [justgeorge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
justgeorge wrote:
She was quoted as saying something to the effect of "I'm Asian I was afraid they would drag me off the plane".

Ah, the race card

Ad Muncher
Quote Reply
Re: More United Airlines Screw Ups [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
Alvin Tostig wrote:
iron_mike wrote:
sounds like another cockup for an airline that badly needs a win, though to be honest this is also the kind of thing that wouldn't even have registered in the days before the internet.
Back in the day, when you could show up at the airport 30 minutes before scheduled takeoff, check a couple of suitcases for free, get on your flight with your card stock boarding pass, and wonder what they'd be serving for the in flight meal.

Sigh

True but you were on a piston plane that needed to land every couple of hours
It made me feel better to see two wings (sometimes three) on the airplanes back then.


"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: More United Airlines Screw Ups [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What will United do about this one?

"On Monday night, a passenger boarded United Flight 1284 from Houston Intercontinental to New York - LaGuardia with a small dog inside a TSA-compliant carrier. According to the passenger, a flight attendant then demanded that the carrier and animal be placed in the overhead bin for the duration of the flight, instead of under the seat, as is common practice. A witness wrote on Facebook that the passenger protested, but eventually complied. The dog then died sometime during the flight, according to The Points Guy.
Per United's in-cabin pet policy, "A pet traveling in cabin must be carried in an approved hard-sided or soft-sided kennel. The kennel must fit completely under the seat in front of the customer and remain there at all times." As such, people traveling with an in-cabin pet cannot be seated in an emergency exit or bulkhead row.
The incident comes at a time when airlines are tightening rules on traveling with emotional support animals, who are not subject to the same $125 fee as in-cabin pets."


https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/dog-dies-after-united-flight-attendant-insists-carrier-be-put-in-overhead-bin/ar-BBKaQvF?li=BBnbfcL



I dislike the idea of emotional support animals as much as anyone, but it sounds like this woman paid the $125 fee to take her dog on the plane inside some sort of TSA approved carrier.


"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: More United Airlines Screw Ups [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow. And I thought that I was pissed when Southwest lost my bag earlier today. Hope that she gets more than the doctor that was drug from the plane.
Quote Reply
Re: More United Airlines Screw Ups [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe it was a pug. Those things aren't real dogs.
Quote Reply
Re: More United Airlines Screw Ups [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess I'm not impressed with the idiot pet owner who thought the dog would be ok in the overhead compartment.

Proud member of Fishtwitch and the ST Grammar Police
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: More United Airlines Screw Ups [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was a french bulldog, is that dog enough for you?
Quote Reply
Re: More United Airlines Screw Ups [ruby1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Aren't they oversized pugs?
Quote Reply
Re: More United Airlines Screw Ups [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/.../Aeroflot_Flight_593

The pilot had his kids visit him on the flight deck. Disaster followed when his son disengaged the autopilot without anyone realising it.
Quote Reply
Re: More United Airlines Screw Ups [Furiosa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Furiosa wrote:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aeroflot_Flight_593

The pilot had his kids visit him on the flight deck. Disaster followed when his son disengaged the autopilot without anyone realising it.

In the 90's during a trip run through my college I flew on a Russian airliner either in either Egypt or Morocco I forget. Out of the type of airport you walk out onto the runway and then up the stairs to board. The pilots (Russian) let the girls go into the cockpit and look around while in flight. When we were landing the plane suddenly rocked to one side and I could see what looked like the wing inches from hitting the runway. After the plane came to a stop out of the cockpit comes one of the girls excitedly telling our group she "landed the plane!". Which we immediately asked WTF are you talking about. She told us the co pilot let her sit on his lap while they landed and she helped. Thankfully that was only flight on that airline.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "

JasoninHalifax
Dec 1, 17 9:57
Quote Reply
Re: More United Airlines Screw Ups [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pity the poor pets on a United flight.

https://gizmodo.com/...nes-mista-1823785637

"United Airlines allegedly swapped Kara Swindle’s 10-year-old dog Irgo, a German shepherd, with a Great Dane that was supposed to be heading to Japan." Kara Swindle lives in Kansas City!

I hope the dog got credit for those extra frequent flyer points.
Quote Reply
Re: More United Airlines Screw Ups [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alvin Tostig wrote:
What will United do about this one?

"On Monday night, a passenger boarded United Flight 1284 from Houston Intercontinental to New York - LaGuardia with a small dog inside a TSA-compliant carrier. According to the passenger, a flight attendant then demanded that the carrier and animal be placed in the overhead bin for the duration of the flight, instead of under the seat, as is common practice. A witness wrote on Facebook that the passenger protested, but eventually complied. The dog then died sometime during the flight, according to The Points Guy.
Per United's in-cabin pet policy, "A pet traveling in cabin must be carried in an approved hard-sided or soft-sided kennel. The kennel must fit completely under the seat in front of the customer and remain there at all times." As such, people traveling with an in-cabin pet cannot be seated in an emergency exit or bulkhead row.
The incident comes at a time when airlines are tightening rules on traveling with emotional support animals, who are not subject to the same $125 fee as in-cabin pets."


https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/dog-dies-after-united-flight-attendant-insists-carrier-be-put-in-overhead-bin/ar-BBKaQvF?li=BBnbfcL



I dislike the idea of emotional support animals as much as anyone, but it sounds like this woman paid the $125 fee to take her dog on the plane inside some sort of TSA approved carrier.

Yet mysteriously the carrier was protruding into the aisle. Why do I have the feeling we're only hearing the 'victims' side of the story? Wanna bet the 'personal' item was too big to fit in the overhead but the pet carrier wasn't? Further, was the pet carrier large enough for the pet? I'll be not.
Quote Reply
Re: More United Airlines Screw Ups [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, just wow.

United hits the trifecta.

https://edition.cnn.com/...ong-plane/index.html
Quote Reply

Prev Next