July 1 through July 3, 1863: Gettysburg

Today marks the beginning of the 155th anniversary of the Battle of Gettysburg. The three days of fighting between Union general George Meade’s Army of the Potomac and Confederate general Robert E. Lee’s Army of Northern Virginia resulted in the still-bloodiest battle ever fought in the Western Hemisphere. In all, some 52,000 Americans were killed, wounded or wound up missing.

The battle itself pretty much began by accident because a few units of Confederate infantrymen happened to be out looking for shoes and they went into Gettysburg to do it. Though both armies had been searching for each other, they each thought the other side was farther away than they really were.

Soon enough, contact between the opposing forces began in the early morning hours of July 1st. Confederate general Henry Heth’s infantry troops, on the lookout for those shoes, bumped into Union general John Buford’s cavalrymen. Word quickly went out to the main bodies of both armies and within only hours troops were pouring into the battleground from all directions. Their in-gathering would became a titanic clash, and one in which (but for a few small, though vitally crucial, things) a Confederate victory very nearly occurred.

https://youtu.be/wWGiUgZGJPs

By now, the story of the 20th Maine Regiment’s bayonet charge on the peak of Little Round Top, an action that turned back the nearly victorious 20th Alabama Regiment (and the 4th and 5th Texas), is well-known. It prevented Confederate forces from turning the Union flank and kept them from pouring troops into the Union rear and sweeping them from the field. What’s not so well-known, at least to non-Civil War aficionados, is that the Johnny Rebs had been low on water for some time (they’d sent men back with their empty canteens) and had paused for a 10-minute rest after scaling adjacent Big Round Top. That pause and the lack of water (the morning was in the low-80s) gave the Union time to place troops on Little Round Top, men who had orders to hold it at all costs. No retreat, no surrender, in other words. Every Union soldier, from their leader Joshua Chamberlain on down, fully expected to give their lives for the Union that day.

The third day of the battle marked Pickett’s Charge, a movement across a mile of wide-open ground by 12,000 Confederate troops. The mass movement was, of course, preceded by a rebel artillery barrage. The intent was to kill as many Union troops as possible, tamping down on Union rifle and cannon counter-battery fire, and it should have been more effective, but it wasn’t. The fuses in the cannon shot used by Confederate artillery units came from factories in Selma (AL) and Charleston (SC), and they were of a type Lee’s artillery didn’t normally use. They burned for about an extra second longer, and the cannonballs they were in exploded a little longer after leaving their artillery pieces. This meant most exploded BEHIND Union lines and not among the Billy Yanks, leaving them to deliver consistent fire back at the massed Confederate troops trying to march across that mile of open ground.

Though it was the big things during Gettysburg that gain our attention, it’s indisputable that this signal battle between Union and Confederacy – which marked the true beginning of the end for the South’s cause – hinged on many small, seemingly insignificant (at the time) actions and happenstances. The Battle of Gettysburg is actually full of them, if you know where and what to look for.

https://img.haikudeck.com/mg/D7E3C03A-15DB-4C11-A8A4-83FD86941FBB.jpg

Thanks for the reminder. I went to Gettysburg earlier this year and was amazed by how small the actual area of the fighting was. The National Park Service has a really good museum that explained the three days in detail.

Thanks for the reminder. I went to Gettysburg earlier this year and was amazed by how small the actual area of the fighting was. The National Park Service has a really good museum that explained the three days in detail.

It’s been many years, but, that’s what I recall as well. It is hard to fathom the method of fighting back then. Granted, it wasn’t like the Revolutionary War where they lined up across from one another. But, still. The battlefield was quite small compared to modern warfare.

http://i63.tinypic.com/2dllu2r.pngA map of the roads leading into Gettysburg is helpful if anyone hasn’t seen one before. Helps illustrate why as you mentioned a battle that started as an acidnet escalated to the level it did.

Absolutely correct when it comes to the close-quarters environment in which the two massive armies clashed. There was relatively little room for the kind of maneuver warfare that developed once modern communications (radio, landlines, etc.) allowed for it, and with such close quarters units large and small from both sides collided violently and bloodily with each other.

The close-in nature made it easier for command and control, though I think the battalion was still the smallest maneuver element at the time, at least in the straight-leg infantry ranks. But, as we’ve all seen in your map, that close-in nature had the above-noted downside: Union and Confederate troops could kill and wound each other as they saw fit and as the moment dictated.

Command and control, or a lack thereof on the first day of the battle, may have decided the eventual outcome of Gettysburg, as it turned out. The Confederacy had the initiative and the Union army was actually in full retreat. All that was needed was for the rebels to press the attack and drive the Union’s troops off of Seminary Ridge. Lee, in seeing this situation, told his Second Corps commander, Dick Ewell, to “do this, if possible.” (Some reports say Lee said “take the hill if practicable.”)

“If possible?” Not “take that hill at all costs”? Unfortunately, Lee sometimes gave his corps commanders too much leeway in interpreting his orders, especially at Gettysburg (he had the same problem with his cavalry commander, J.E.B. Stuart, who arrived at Gettysburg too late to be of much help), and Ewell was never the most aggressive of generals to begin with (a common problem, for a time, among Union generals as well). The end result was that Ewell failed to bring his superior advantage to bear on the Union forces hanging on by a thread up on the ridge, and the Confederate initiative stalled.

Here is rebel general Isaac Trimble’s massive frustration with Richard Ewell, which he expresses to Lee (in the 1993 movie “Gettysburg”):

https://youtu.be/jNWWCwED9D0

I would be remiss, though, in not noting that the common belief in Ewell’s failure to press his advantage has been disputed for some time. Lee’s apologists after the war, in seeking to ensure no blame for his defeat at Gettysburg actually attached to him, may have scapegoated Ewell, in fact. (To Lee’s credit, he told his own troops after the failure of Pickett’s charge on the third day, that the blame was all his and none other’s.)

In all, some 52,000 Americans were killed, wounded or wound up missing.

52,000 is no small number, that’s crazy to think half the population of my city gone in a three day battle.

I recently read a book on the Battle of Waterloo, the battles fought during the Napoleonic Wars really made the western hemisphere wars during the 1800’s seem like nothing. I don’t quite remember, but the book said something along the lines of one battle killed 10,000+ in the first 45 minutes of fighting.

52,000 is no small number, that’s crazy to think half the population of my city gone in a three day battle.

I recently read a book on the Battle of Waterloo, the battles fought during the Napoleonic Wars really made the western hemisphere wars during the 1800’s seem like nothing. I don’t quite remember, but the book said something along the lines of one battle killed 10,000+ in the first 45 minutes of fighting.

Exactly so. Unbelievable that no one blinked an eye back then at 10,000 killed in a single 45-minute period in a battle, but that’s the way they were.

52,000 is no small number, that’s crazy to think half the population of my city gone in a three day battle

Roughly, Yankee Stadium

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._baseball_stadiums_by_capacity

Being sensitive to spirits/paranormal, I found Gettysburg to be almost overwhelming

Didn’t help that Madam Marie told me that I was killed at Little Round Top in a previous life

https://c1.staticflickr.com/4/3036/3020973164_00f8de00e8_b.jpg

Exactly so. Unbelievable that no one blinked an eye back then at 10,000 killed in a single 45-minute period in a battle, but that’s the way they were.

"What a lovely day
And we won the war
May have lost a million men
But we got a million more…"

(…of course the losing side in those wars no longer had another million men to spare; hence, their defeat. The catchy pop tunes are written by the victors as well, it seems.)

Just a quick note regarding casualties…while 52,000 is a very big number, the vast majority of those were wounded and missing/prisoners of war. Total battlefield deaths for both sides at Gettysburg were probably close to 8,000, which is still pretty horrific for just 3 days of battle. I bring this up because people often correspond “casualties” with deaths, and that isn’t the case. Mainstream media gets this wrong almost all the time.

In terms of deaths in a very short period in modern times, the British and Commonwealth forces lost 20,000 killed on the first day of the Battle of the Somme, the majority probably in the first hour or so.

Good point.

Just a quick note regarding casualties…while 52,000 is a very big number, the vast majority of those were wounded and missing/prisoners of war. Total battlefield deaths for both sides at Gettysburg were probably close to 8,000, which is still pretty horrific for just 3 days of battle. I bring this up because people often correspond “casualties” with deaths, and that isn’t the case. Mainstream media gets this wrong almost all the time.

In terms of deaths in a very short period in modern times, the British and Commonwealth forces lost 20,000 killed on the first day of the Battle of the Somme, the majority probably in the first hour or so.

How did they categorize casualties? Is “killed” just those killed immediately on the battlefield, or does it include subsequent deaths of the injured? I would guess the former, though i really do not know. If so, given the high rates of subsequent death from infection and other causes, i can imagine the totals shifting quite a lot from injured to killed.

I thought the cops busted her for telling fortunes better than they did… (sorry, couldn’t resist.)