Five days in Fort Lauderdale (July 4 week)

Staying at my buddy’s AirBNB property a mile or so from the beach. Bringing my 14 and 10 year old boys. We’re game for any and all interesting outdoor activities, beaches, snorkeling, jet skiing, exploring, museums, whatever. Seafood and other restaurant recommendations appreciated.

I’ll recommend Cuba Libre restaurant. Go for happy hour. Order one of each thing on the menu for food.

Drink wise you’ll want to take an Uber home

There are a few really good restaurants, so have a hunt around. I did a day and a half of kite surfing lessons there, which was a decent place to learn. May not fit with your plans though. There are also some waterski schools nearby if that might appeal.

It’s been a while but we went twice one year and we went to this little restaurant, right off of there 17th St Causeway, both times.

http://www.kellyslanding.com/menu.html

First time we went to the Stone Crabs in season. The second time we went for the main menu. Enjoyed it both times.

You can rent cruiser bikes right by the Swimming Hall of Fame, you can also swim there. It’s newly renovated and it’s a great place for a workout.

You can take a tour boat or you can take 3 hour cruise around on the Water Taxi

You can take a drive to Bill Bags Cape Florida Park on Key Biscayne. It’s a beautiful place and way different than anywhere else around, and you can climb the lighthouse. In summer, the Atlantic Ocean surf water gets as warm as the air.

And now the important stuff;

BRING PLENTY OF SUNSCREEN, THE HIGHEST NUMBER YOU CAN GET.

Bring floppy hats and white long sleeve shirts

The South Florida Sun is different, and you can get burned to a crisp in just a couple of hours in summer. Be careful, don’t mess with it.

The spa and the pool bar at the Westin Beach Resort was pretty awesome.

El Vez restaurant about 1/2 block north of that was really good.

The boys would probably really enjoy an Everglades airboat tour.

That menu looks insanely good. My youngest will be in heaven. Thanks for the tip!

If you swim or have an interest in swimming, I would check out the International Swim Hall of Fame and Ft Lauderdale Aquatic Center. It is right on the beach and is an amazing swim and dive facility. They have a 27m dive platform and its amazing to watch the divers dive from that height. Entry to the museum is free. Lap swim is $5 and they typically have both LCM and SCY available. Sorry as I know this could be other forum stuff but the pool is really nice.

https://www.parks.fortlauderdale.gov/beach/aquatics/fort-lauderdale-aquatic-complex

Right next to to the pool is a restaurant called Coconuts that is excellent. I highly recommend. We ate there several times when we were in Ft Lauderdale in April.

Cocoanuts, I’ve been there, I agree it’s great!

How is the Hall of Fame Pool these days. I see on the website that it’s been renovated. When I was going there a few years ago, it really was in bad shape. They were supposed to sell it and build a new facility inland. Then they were goin go to LA. I see that they are still there and they say that it’s all fixed up.

I remember seeing it on ABC Wide World of Sports when I was a kid. It looked so exotic, right there on the beach.

It is amazing. Completely remodeled and rebuilt. They did a terrific job with the project. If I wasn’t an idiot, I would link photos from my training trip there in April.

How is the Hall of Fame Pool these days. I see on the website that it’s been renovated. When I was going there a few years ago, it really was in bad shape. They were supposed to sell it and build a new facility inland. Then they were goin go to LA. I see that they are still there and they say that it’s all fixed up.

I remember seeing it on ABC Wide World of Sports when I was a kid. It looked so exotic, right there on the beach.

This has serious Triple Lindy potential.

https://counsilmanhunsaker.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/FLAC_001-scaled.jpg

You didn’t mention this place is a Patriots bar. Gag.

But the food is on point.

You didn’t mention this place is a Patriots bar. Gag.

But the food is on point.

Sorry for not warning you. It wasn’t one of the things I noticed. Glad that you enjoyed the food.

Tell us about the rest of the trip. How did it go?

24 hours into the trip, we had dinner with an old friend and his family, kids the same age as mine. Enjoyed fresh mangos from their tree and grilled steaks by the water at their home.

Today we drift fished offshore for four hours, caught a bunch of snapper and bonita. Kids loved it but the heat is a contender. Kelly’s was a fantastic recommendation, my youngest loves seafood chowder and wasn’t disappointed. I had conch fritters and lobster roll with a few Dale’s Pale Ales. Top notch trip so far. Headed to another friend’s beachfront place in Delray for BBQ and fireworks in about 30 minutes.

Tomorrow we may snorkel from the beach in Lauderdale By The Sea, or we may take a guided trip. Neither of my boys (14, 10) have snorkeled so the guided trip may be the safer way to go than trying to reach the reef a few hundred feet from shore.

Excellent, keep putting on the sunsrcreen!

Snorkeling the pier was excellent. Tons of fish, tarpon, a dozen tropicals I couldn’t identify, a massive school of fish in bait ball formation to swim through, stingray, really cool stuff. We’re heading back either tomorrow or Friday morning.

Eating sushi and ramen at Phat Boy now. Also top notch. Cucumber Cooler and spicy margarita hitting the spot.

Nice, you’re making me jealous!

Last full day, driving down to Miami with friends and kids to swim in the venetian pool, then likely Key Biscane.

Any must-see/do/eats while in the area? My kids are adventurous eaters and have been game for mostly anything.

Coral Gables, my kids and I used to talk about going to Venetian Pool, but we never got there. They lived in Homestead and I lived in Hollywood.

How’s the surf temperature on Key Biscayne? I remember it being actually hot a few times when I’ve been there.

It looks like you all are having a great trip!

Last stop on you foodie’s tour of S Florida; Calle Echo, SW 8th st, Miami for Cuban food,