Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Build the Wall?
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: Build the Wall? [orphious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He is not the brightest bulb around, he sent this tweet during the shutdown:


Also, he thinks riding around with a couple border agents means that he knows more about border security that the former Assistant Director of Homeland Security:

Quote Reply
Re: Build the Wall? [orphious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So many border truths, so little time. Main take-away is that this is Trump's plan, and everything he says about the border 'crisis' is pulled out of his ass.
Quote Reply
Re: Build the Wall? [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:
He is not the brightest bulb around, he sent this tweet during the shutdown:


Also, he thinks riding around with a couple border agents means that he knows more about border security that the former Assistant Director of Homeland Security:

Yeah, he only rose to the rank of Lt Commander serving as a Navy SEAL for 10 years. Two Bronze Stars. Purple Heart.

Degree from Tufts University. Masters of Public Administration from Harvard.

What could he possibly know?

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Build the Wall? [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don’t know the full context of his tweet but did he not know who Juliette Kayyem was before sending that? His response seemed like he was condescendingly speaking to a high school civics teacher.

2018 Races:
INJURED

Favorite Gear: Dimond Bikes | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Build the Wall? [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:

Yeah, he only rose to the rank of Lt Commander serving as a Navy SEAL for 10 years. Two Bronze Stars. Purple Heart.

Degree from Tufts University. Masters of Public Administration from Harvard.

What could he possibly know?

Well if he was a SEAL he probably knows that a 30 ft wall slows down a motivated individual by about 5-10 seconds.
Quote Reply
Re: Build the Wall? [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
chaparral wrote:
He is not the brightest bulb around, he sent this tweet during the shutdown:


Also, he thinks riding around with a couple border agents means that he knows more about border security that the former Assistant Director of Homeland Security:


Yeah, he only rose to the rank of Lt Commander serving as a Navy SEAL for 10 years. Two Bronze Stars. Purple Heart.

Degree from Tufts University. Masters of Public Administration from Harvard.

What could he possibly know?


yeah but did he ever bartend and waitress... GTFO
Last edited by: spntrxi: Feb 11, 19 20:11
Quote Reply
Re: Build the Wall? [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
chaparral wrote:
He is not the brightest bulb around, he sent this tweet during the shutdown:


Also, he thinks riding around with a couple border agents means that he knows more about border security that the former Assistant Director of Homeland Security:


Yeah, he only rose to the rank of Lt Commander serving as a Navy SEAL for 10 years. Two Bronze Stars. Purple Heart.

Degree from Tufts University. Masters of Public Administration from Harvard.

What could he possibly know?

Well, he obviously has problems remembering what happened two weeks before he sent that shut down tweet. He also doesn't know who the former Assistant Director of DHS is.
Quote Reply
Re: Build the Wall? [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
I don’t know the full context of his tweet but did he not know who Juliette Kayyem was before sending that? His response seemed like he was condescendingly speaking to a high school civics teacher.

I think it is worse if he knew Juliette Kayyem is.

Here is the context, he has two responses, it is not much better,:
https://twitter.com/.../1091051448090181632
Quote Reply
Re: Build the Wall? [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What's her current job?
Quote Reply
Re: Build the Wall? [orphious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
orphious wrote:
What's her current job?

Does her current job make her no longer qualified to talk about issues regarding her former job? Here is her Twitter bio.

Quote:
Harvard prof, @CNNanalyst, former DHS gov stints, board member. Best-selling author of #SecurityMom


How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Build the Wall? [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
chaparral wrote:
He is not the brightest bulb around, he sent this tweet during the shutdown:


Also, he thinks riding around with a couple border agents means that he knows more about border security that the former Assistant Director of Homeland Security:


Yeah, he only rose to the rank of Lt Commander serving as a Navy SEAL for 10 years. Two Bronze Stars. Purple Heart.

Degree from Tufts University. Masters of Public Administration from Harvard.

What could he possibly know?

Argument from authority. 2/10.

----------------------------------
"i disagree with your analysis [or judgment], nevertheless you have the responsibility of moderating this board so i honor your authority to make the moderating decisions."
Quote Reply
Re: Build the Wall? [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
JSA wrote:
chaparral wrote:
He is not the brightest bulb around, he sent this tweet during the shutdown:


Also, he thinks riding around with a couple border agents means that he knows more about border security that the former Assistant Director of Homeland Security:


Yeah, he only rose to the rank of Lt Commander serving as a Navy SEAL for 10 years. Two Bronze Stars. Purple Heart.

Degree from Tufts University. Masters of Public Administration from Harvard.

What could he possibly know?


Argument from authority. 2/10.

It looks like the original argument is that the guy is "not the brightest bulb". From there a list of his academic and career accomplishments is not an argument from authority.
Quote Reply
Re: Build the Wall? [LorenzoP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LorenzoP wrote:
So many border truths, so little time. Main take-away is that this is Trump's plan, and everything he says about the border 'crisis' is pulled out of his ass.

That's not fair. He got some of it from a movie.
Quote Reply
Re: Build the Wall? [SH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SH wrote:
klehner wrote:
JSA wrote:
chaparral wrote:
He is not the brightest bulb around, he sent this tweet during the shutdown:


Also, he thinks riding around with a couple border agents means that he knows more about border security that the former Assistant Director of Homeland Security:


Yeah, he only rose to the rank of Lt Commander serving as a Navy SEAL for 10 years. Two Bronze Stars. Purple Heart.

Degree from Tufts University. Masters of Public Administration from Harvard.

What could he possibly know?


Argument from authority. 2/10.


It looks like the original argument is that the guy is "not the brightest bulb". From there a list of his academic and career accomplishments is not an argument from authority.

Except:

"means that he knows more about border security that the former Assistant Director of Homeland Security"

and the response was:

"What could he possibly know?"

That's what JSA was responding to. So, argument from authority.

----------------------------------
"i disagree with your analysis [or judgment], nevertheless you have the responsibility of moderating this board so i honor your authority to make the moderating decisions."
Quote Reply
Re: Build the Wall? [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
SH wrote:
klehner wrote:
JSA wrote:
chaparral wrote:
He is not the brightest bulb around, he sent this tweet during the shutdown:


Also, he thinks riding around with a couple border agents means that he knows more about border security that the former Assistant Director of Homeland Security:


Yeah, he only rose to the rank of Lt Commander serving as a Navy SEAL for 10 years. Two Bronze Stars. Purple Heart.

Degree from Tufts University. Masters of Public Administration from Harvard.

What could he possibly know?


Argument from authority. 2/10.


It looks like the original argument is that the guy is "not the brightest bulb". From there a list of his academic and career accomplishments is not an argument from authority.


Except:

"means that he knows more about border security that the former Assistant Director of Homeland Security"

and the response was:

"What could he possibly know?"

That's what JSA was responding to. So, argument from authority.

I guess I missed it when you got on Chaparral for his original argument from authority then.
Quote Reply
Re: Build the Wall? [SH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SH wrote:

I guess I missed it when you got on Chaparral for his original argument from authority then.


Whataboutism, again?

I think that response was not argument from authority, since chaparral said

"Also, he thinks riding around with a couple border agents means that he knows more about border security that the former Assistant Director of Homeland Security: "

which goes directly to his expertise on the subject. You can see the difference, right?

----------------------------------
"i disagree with your analysis [or judgment], nevertheless you have the responsibility of moderating this board so i honor your authority to make the moderating decisions."
Quote Reply
Re: Build the Wall? [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
JSA wrote:
chaparral wrote:
He is not the brightest bulb around, he sent this tweet during the shutdown:


Also, he thinks riding around with a couple border agents means that he knows more about border security that the former Assistant Director of Homeland Security:


Yeah, he only rose to the rank of Lt Commander serving as a Navy SEAL for 10 years. Two Bronze Stars. Purple Heart.

Degree from Tufts University. Masters of Public Administration from Harvard.

What could he possibly know?


Argument from authority. 2/10.

Hardly an argument from authority, Kenny. I stated facts showing he is quite highly educated from quite prestigious educational institutions. I also stated the fact that he rose through the ranks of the most selective and most elite fighting force on the planet. None of the basic elements of an argument from authority are present here.

Do you disagree that the facts I have stated contradict a claim that he is a "dim bulb?"

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Build the Wall? [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
SH wrote:

I guess I missed it when you got on Chaparral for his original argument from authority then.


Whataboutism, again?

I think that response was not argument from authority, since chaparral said

"Also, he thinks riding around with a couple border agents means that he knows more about border security that the former Assistant Director of Homeland Security: "

which goes directly to his expertise on the subject. You can see the difference, right?

No. Chappy said he was "not the brightest bulb." My reply was in response to that assertion. There is no argument from authority in that response.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Build the Wall? [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kenny, you are really reaching for something to be butt hurt about this morning.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Build the Wall? [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:

Hardly an argument from authority, Kenny. I stated facts showing he is quite highly educated from quite prestigious educational institutions. I also stated the fact that he rose through the ranks of the most selective and most elite fighting force on the planet. None of the basic elements of an argument from authority are present here.

Do you disagree that the facts I have stated contradict a claim that he is a "dim bulb?"


the above is the exact definition of an argument from authority - an argument is to stand on it's own merits, to claim an argument is stronger because said person has credentials x, y, z is exactly what is meant by argument by authority.
Last edited by: LorenzoP: Feb 12, 19 7:41
Quote Reply
Re: Build the Wall? [LorenzoP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LorenzoP wrote:
JSA wrote:

Hardly an argument from authority, Kenny. I stated facts showing he is quite highly educated from quite prestigious educational institutions. I also stated the fact that he rose through the ranks of the most selective and most elite fighting force on the planet. None of the basic elements of an argument from authority are present here.

Do you disagree that the facts I have stated contradict a claim that he is a "dim bulb?"


the above is the exact definition of an argument from authority - an argument is to stand on it's own merits, to claim an argument is stronger because said person has credentials x, y, z is exactly what is meant by argument by authority.

No, that is not what that phrase means.

If someone claims John Doe is stupid and the response is to show John Doe has multiple degrees from prestigious educational institutions and rose to a high rank in a prestigious career, that is a counter the unsupported claim of stupidity with accomplishments a stupid person would not have achieved. That is not an argument from authority. That is pointing out facts to rebut an unsupported claim.

EDIT TO ADD: Oh, I get it. You made the same mistake as Kenny. I am responding to chappy's claim that he is "not the brightest bulb." I am not responding to chappy's claim regarding what he may know about border security. My response to chappy regarding his intelligence (or lack thereof) is not an argument from authority. But, if I were responding to chappy's claim regarding his knowledge about border security, then you may have a point. I should have highlighted chappy's statement regarding "not being a bright bulb" to clarify I was only replying to that claim. I have no clue what this guy knows about border security. All I know is that he is not an idiot.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Build the Wall? [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So anyway, not to butt in with this important discussion of whether or not Rep. Crenshaw has any intelligence or not, it appears that they have an agreement in Congress to avoid a government shutdown and fund border security. But, there's alway a but these day, it's really up to another grad of another prestigious university, U Penn. Of course Trump isn't satisfied that his father bought him a degree from Penn. He tells everyone that he went to the Wharton School of Business. It's part of U Penn and he did take a couple classes there. So is it a lie? Technically no, but because he's trying to make you think he has a degree from Wharton, it is.

But it really isn't up to Trump right now anyway. It's up to the people on Fox and Friends. Which way did they go? Did their friends call in to rip Trump? So what did they say? Since F andF's in in charge, how do they feel about the agreement in Congress?

---------------------------
Busy Spending My Children's Inheritance!
Quote Reply
Re: Build the Wall? [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
LorenzoP wrote:
JSA wrote:

Hardly an argument from authority, Kenny. I stated facts showing he is quite highly educated from quite prestigious educational institutions. I also stated the fact that he rose through the ranks of the most selective and most elite fighting force on the planet. None of the basic elements of an argument from authority are present here.

Do you disagree that the facts I have stated contradict a claim that he is a "dim bulb?"


the above is the exact definition of an argument from authority - an argument is to stand on it's own merits, to claim an argument is stronger because said person has credentials x, y, z is exactly what is meant by argument by authority.


No, that is not what that phrase means.

If someone claims John Doe is stupid and the response is to show John Doe has multiple degrees from prestigious educational institutions and rose to a high rank in a prestigious career, that is a counter the unsupported claim of stupidity with accomplishments a stupid person would not have achieved. That is not an argument from authority. That is pointing out facts to rebut an unsupported claim.

EDIT TO ADD: Oh, I get it. You made the same mistake as Kenny. I am responding to chappy's claim that he is "not the brightest bulb." I am not responding to chappy's claim regarding what he may know about border security. My response to chappy regarding his intelligence (or lack thereof) is not an argument from authority. But, if I were responding to chappy's claim regarding his knowledge about border security, then you may have a point. I should have highlighted chappy's statement regarding "not being a bright bulb" to clarify I was only replying to that claim. I have no clue what this guy knows about border security. All I know is that he is not an idiot.

We may be saying the same thing - not sure. Stating his argument is stronger because who he is or what he knows is the fallacy of argument by authority - unless all parties agree that his credentials grant him a unique and special authority.
Quote Reply
Re: Build the Wall? [orphious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's no longer "Build the Wall", it's "Finish the Wall". I'm not sure what this means...but I think maybe a nice brushed nickel would look good.
Quote Reply

Prev Next