Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Adversity Score: I see some adversity coming for the SAT
Quote | Reply
As bad publicity and multiple lawsuits pile up on institutions like Harvard because of their policy for racial preference in admissions... an alternative method of discrimination has emerged thanks to the College Board.

The SAT will now compute an "Adversity Score" for each student and modify their SAT result. In keeping with fairness and transparency - this modifier will be kept secret from the student and post-secondary institution.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/...l-playing-field.html

Edit: This is a GOLDEN opportunity for a challenger to develop their own objective entrance exam and offer that as a basis for entry. The post-secondary institutions that are truly devoted to meritocracy will likely embrace this. It won't be long before there is a clear separation in performance between the 'social-engineering' schools like Harvard and the actual engineering schools like CalTech.

<Insert witty quip here> 
Last edited by: Guffaw: May 16, 19 11:46
Quote Reply
Re: Adversity Score: I see some adversity coming for the SAT [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That will be all sorts of fun! Interesting that race is not one of the criteria. I see this as hastening the end of standardized tests.
Quote Reply
Re: Adversity Score: I see some adversity coming for the SAT [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Already people are figuring out how to game the system
Quote Reply
Re: Adversity Score: I see some adversity coming for the SAT [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Standardized test have always been a joke, and have largely cemented advantages that kids in affluent/educated families have. It is also astonishing how much specialized tutoring and test prep can improve scores.
Quote Reply
Re: Adversity Score: I see some adversity coming for the SAT [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's been some very interesting studies at medical schools in the UK where kids from specific post codes receive lower offers than say, Eton, for example

At the end of the first year of medical school and from there on out, they score as well as there peers

Leaving aside buying a place at uni. It's unquestionably harder for kids in shit schools to score as highly as those at places like Eton / Harrow / rodean where kids are prepared for uni from birth
Quote Reply
Re: Adversity Score: I see some adversity coming for the SAT [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guffaw wrote:
As bad publicity and multiple lawsuits pile up on institutions like Harvard because of their policy for racial preference in admissions... an alternative method of discrimination has emerged thanks to the College Board.

While I'm not a fan of it..........you realize the article you linked said there are 15 parameters. If you look at race and gender, you're at 2 of 15.

It appears you're interested in race. So, 1 in 15. Not sure if that one is weighted heavier than all the 14 other factors, but it is still just one.

So, what basis do you have for being so alarmed.......based on race?

In theory, if race is just one of 15 factors.......impoverished white males stand to meet perhaps at least 12 to 13 parameters of 15. So, not a bad shake.
Quote Reply
Re: Adversity Score: I see some adversity coming for the SAT [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
Guffaw wrote:
As bad publicity and multiple lawsuits pile up on institutions like Harvard because of their policy for racial preference in admissions... an alternative method of discrimination has emerged thanks to the College Board.

While I'm not a fan of it..........you realize the article you linked said there are 15 parameters. If you look at race and gender, you're at 2 of 15.

It appears you're interested in race. So, 1 in 15. Not sure if that one is weighted heavier than all the 14 other factors, but it is still just one.

So, what basis do you have for being so alarmed.......based on race?

In theory, if race is just one of 15 factors.......impoverished white males stand to meet perhaps at least 12 to 13 parameters of 15. So, not a bad shake.

Um race isn't one of the 15 criteria?
Quote Reply
Re: Adversity Score: I see some adversity coming for the SAT [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
Already people are figuring out how to game the system

they're already doing it - just find a doctor/therapist to write up an excuse and your kid can get extra time to take the test...

From one of the wealthier suburbs of Chicago....
https://newtriernews.org/...es-national-average/

"According to documents posted on New Trier’s website, 226 of 935, or 24 percent, of Juniors taking April’s school wide ACT received some sort of accommodation for the test, a number confirmed by administrative staff."

national average is for 5% of Juniors to get accomodation.
Quote Reply
Re: Adversity Score: I see some adversity coming for the SAT [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the admissions officers I'm aware of are very well able to parse a kid's adversity score without an adversity score. They know the schools, or get to know them.

Possibly this benefits offices that do less intensive reads of applicants. Or it's mainly cosmetic.

Don't see very much changing as a result, besides another level of angst and paranoia for already apeshit parents of good but not stellar applicants.
Quote Reply
Re: Adversity Score: I see some adversity coming for the SAT [ChiTownJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChiTownJack wrote:
windywave wrote:
Already people are figuring out how to game the system

they're already doing it - just find a doctor/therapist to write up an excuse and your kid can get extra time to take the test...

From one of the wealthier suburbs of Chicago....
https://newtriernews.org/...es-national-average/

"According to documents posted on New Trier’s website, 226 of 935, or 24 percent, of Juniors taking April’s school wide ACT received some sort of accommodation for the test, a number confirmed by administrative staff."

national average is for 5% of Juniors to get accomodation.

Should I even ask why you're reading a HS paper?

I personally feel all accommodation should be abolished
Quote Reply
Re: Adversity Score: I see some adversity coming for the SAT [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
So, what basis do you have for being so alarmed.......based on race?

You misunderstood. I am not alarmed that they are gaming the system based on race. nor on Zip Code. Nor parents income. Nor on any other factor.
I am alarmed that they are gaming the system. period. I have seen what planned equality initiatives do - in the long run they hurt those they are supposed to help.

<Insert witty quip here> 
Quote Reply
Re: Adversity Score: I see some adversity coming for the SAT [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Um race isn't one of the 15, proxy for race, criteria?

Fixed it for you.
Quote Reply
Re: Adversity Score: I see some adversity coming for the SAT [oldandslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oldandslow wrote:
That will be all sorts of fun! Interesting that race is not one of the criteria. I see this as hastening the end of standardized tests.

Well the scoring will be secret so we don’t know what the criteria really is.

- The thrall alone takes instant vengeance; the coward never...
Quote Reply
Re: Adversity Score: I see some adversity coming for the SAT [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I read stuff like this before, I used to think, "Wait until they get into the real world and everyone only cares about results and not where you came from. These kids are gonna get creamed."

Now, knowing the "real world" we live in, I think, "Why did it take so long for the SATs to add non-performance based criteria?"

I just hope they let me know my airplane pilot's or heart doctor's adversity score.
Quote Reply
Re: Adversity Score: I see some adversity coming for the SAT [oldandslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oldandslow wrote:
That will be all sorts of fun! Interesting that race is not one of the criteria. I see this as hastening the end of standardized tests.



That's already been happening for a while. Schools have seen that performance in college does not align with SAT performance. My daughter just went through the application process and SAT's were optional at a lot of very good schools, e.g., Bates and Bowdoin.

Quote Reply
Re: Adversity Score: I see some adversity coming for the SAT [schroeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My wife and I went to Cal Poly SLO, so we would like our sons to go there too.

They accept students mostly based on grade point average and SAT score.

My older son is interested in computer engineering. For that college, the average GPA is 4.21 and the average SAT score is 1,481.
Last edited by: jimatbeyond: May 16, 19 14:38
Quote Reply
Re: Adversity Score: I see some adversity coming for the SAT [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
My wife and I went to Cal Poly SLO, so we would like our sons to go there too.

They accept students mostly based on grade point average and SAT score.

My older son is interested in computer engineering. For that college, the average GPA is 4.21 and the average SAT score is 1,481.

Google says the average SAT for Cal Poly slo is 1293.
Quote Reply
Re: Adversity Score: I see some adversity coming for the SAT [schroeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The engineering college has an average of 1,481.

https://admissions.calpoly.edu/prospective/profile.html
Last edited by: jimatbeyond: May 16, 19 15:16
Quote Reply
Re: Adversity Score: I see some adversity coming for the SAT [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's impressive. My brother went there and I don't remember it being that hard to get into. But that was in the 80's.
Quote Reply
Re: Adversity Score: I see some adversity coming for the SAT [schroeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
schroeder wrote:
That's impressive. My brother went there and I don't remember it being that hard to get into. But that was in the 80's.

It wasn't that hard to get into. I know a lot of people that went there in the early 90's. As I recall, its a fairly reasonable college, cost wise, and thus, has increased applications that perhaps are driving the criteria pretty high.
Quote Reply
Re: Adversity Score: I see some adversity coming for the SAT [Uncle Arqyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Consumer Digest ranked them Number 2 in the country for best value.

Last year, there were more than 55,000 applicants. 16,466 students were accepted to fill 4,486 available spaces.
Quote Reply
Re: Adversity Score: I see some adversity coming for the SAT [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
ChiTownJack wrote:
windywave wrote:
Already people are figuring out how to game the system


they're already doing it - just find a doctor/therapist to write up an excuse and your kid can get extra time to take the test...

From one of the wealthier suburbs of Chicago....
https://newtriernews.org/...es-national-average/

"According to documents posted on New Trier’s website, 226 of 935, or 24 percent, of Juniors taking April’s school wide ACT received some sort of accommodation for the test, a number confirmed by administrative staff."

national average is for 5% of Juniors to get accomodation.


Should I even ask why you're reading a HS paper?

I personally feel all accommodation should be abolished
I totally agree they shouldn't accommodate those blind kids buy allowing them to use a braille test.

But I assume you were talking about the extra time. Why not just give all the kids extra time? Doesn't help kids who don't need accommodation anyway.
Quote Reply
Re: Adversity Score: I see some adversity coming for the SAT [torrey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
torrey wrote:
windywave wrote:
ChiTownJack wrote:
windywave wrote:
Already people are figuring out how to game the system


they're already doing it - just find a doctor/therapist to write up an excuse and your kid can get extra time to take the test...

From one of the wealthier suburbs of Chicago....
https://newtriernews.org/...es-national-average/

"According to documents posted on New Trier’s website, 226 of 935, or 24 percent, of Juniors taking April’s school wide ACT received some sort of accommodation for the test, a number confirmed by administrative staff."

national average is for 5% of Juniors to get accomodation.


Should I even ask why you're reading a HS paper?

I personally feel all accommodation should be abolished
I totally agree they shouldn't accommodate those blind kids buy allowing them to use a braille test.

But I assume you were talking about the extra time. Why not just give all the kids extra time? Doesn't help kids who don't need accommodation anyway.

Because in the real world you don't get extra time.
Quote Reply
Re: Adversity Score: I see some adversity coming for the SAT [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I get extra time whenever I want. Just need to stay after at work.

The SATs have nothing to do with the real world.
Quote Reply
Re: Adversity Score: I see some adversity coming for the SAT [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why can't employers have their own adversity score post graduation?
Quote Reply

Prev Next