Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

LinkedIn Connection Sharing
Quote | Reply
I have been looking for a change of scenery as of late and am finding that all of my decent opportunities are sprouting from LinkedIn connections. I have not heard back from a single "online application" even if the job was a cut and paste of my resume/CV.

I would like to know what others think about connecting via LinkedIn with people that they have never met in person but instead through an online community such as ST.

----------------------
TriAnotherDay.com
Quote Reply
Re: LinkedIn Connection Sharing [VanDrunken] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
heh all online resume jobs I have applied to I just paste in my linked in URL into the resume field, or if it requires an upload, I upload a text file with the link. And yes I am now employed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LinkedIn is all about connecting with people. Use it. I fully expect to get a call someday from a connection I haven't heard from in years or I've never met. I'm more than happy to have coffee with anyone. You never know where it will lead.

The odds of finding work through an online submission at a company of any decent size is slim to none.There is a lot of work you can do to bubble yours up to the top but most companies now use scanning software to look for keywords. Even then, someone else has a friend who will get in for an interview long before you will. You will find your next job through a friend, either a direct connection or a 2nd level connection.

My experience in this: Spent 8.5 months unemployed. Applied to everything that came close to my job skills. My area has a glut of people like me so I had a lot of competition. I went to networking events, industry events, made contacts, etc. I used LinkedIn to reconnect with former co-workers and I took some of them out for coffee. I worked my ass off to find a job.

Funny thing was, I got my current job through a friend who used to have the same tri coach as me. We did a lot of training together and became friends outside of triathlon. She knew someone who was working at my current company. She sent her my resume, I got an email response saying my resume had been passed on to a hiring manager. He looked at my profile on LinkedIn which I'd put a lot of energy into and boom, interviews, job offer.

Potential employers will Google you and look at your LinkedIn profile for information they won't get on your resume. It is your chance to build a big resume so take advantage of it. And start calling people. Even if you aren't sure they can help you. They might not have a job for you but they might know someone who does.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: LinkedIn Connection Sharing [JenSw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some excellent advice here Jen. I used to have my whole resume on my LinkedIn profile but have since simplified it. I am not quite sure what the best approach is here.

I have been finding a few good leads but they are all word of mouth through my friends and ex-colleagues. I think it is just a matter of time before I find a perfect fit for me. I am still employed at the moment so I am not going to jump at anything, it needs to be the right job at the right salary+benefits for me to jump ship.

That being said, anyone looking for an Windows Setup and Deployment expert? ;)

----------------------
TriAnotherDay.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I found my current job because a contact (whose job I wanted) posted on Linked In that he had started a new job so I emailed the mgmt of his previous firm. Had an offer in hand 3 days later.

"which is like watching one of your buddies announce that he's quitting booze and cigarettes, switching to a Vegan diet and training for triathalons ... but he's going to keep snorting heroin." Bill Simmons, ESPN
Quote Reply