Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

$ Offered for Homestay in SW Florida
Quote | Reply
I posted this in the main forum, but maybe it will get some traction here...

Attention SW Florida triathletes:

I am looking to host a winter camp in/near New Port Richey, FL during the first week of March 2013. I need a good sized house that will fit 4-6 campers, preferrably. I am considering renting a place from VRBO or similar site, but trying to keep costs down a little. If you are a local triathlete with a nice big/empty house (not filled with a family, etc.), perhaps it might be an attractive idea for you to host a camp. This would be a great opportunity to meet pro/elite triathletes from out of town, participate in the camp, and even make a few $ on the side.

Obviously, location is important. We want to be near a good pool, close to running trails, and near good cycling roads without having to go through too many busy roads heading out on the bike.

For anyone in particular need of coaching, our host will be provided with free coaching services - swim technique clinics, swim video analysis, bike/run coaching, etc. You will also have your meals covered and be able to partake in any/all of the group workouts throughout the week. This is a pretty unique opportunity to be part of a fun camp and we'll make it worth your while.

If you're interested, send me a PM, email (jkenny5150 at gmail), or respond to this thread. Thanks in advance!

Quote Reply
Re: $ Offered for Homestay in SW Florida [jkenny5150] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why the heck would you go to New Port Richey? There is like 1000 nicer places in Florida.
Quote Reply
Re: $ Offered for Homestay in SW Florida [baxels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, you didn't answer my question, but I'll answer yours anyway...
I already have a small place to stay there. I was looking to expand a bit in case I get more numbers than expected.
As it turns out, NPR seems like it should be a great place to hold a camp. We are just a few miles from a trailhead that has a state park and wilderness area. Lots of uninterrupted bike trails and unpaved running trails are pretty close. We are also close to a few pools, a track, and a short drive from the Gulf of Mexico, for open water swims.
Most places I've been to in Florida are pretty busy when it comes to traffic, and they don't have quite as many options within a short drive.
If you have other suggestions, I'm always open to hear about them.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am sorry, I think my first reply had a very negative sound to it. I am attending college in Florida (Florida Gulf Coast University in Fort Myers, Senior), and people from New Port Richey call the town "New Port Shitty", which probably adds to my prejudice.

While traveling with the XC and triathlon teams I have seen a few places in the state, including the Clearwater/New Port Richey area. From my own experience, I would say that this area was always very crowded and that the traffic was horibble. I have no knowledge about pools in the area, but you will find nice outdoor pools almost everywhere in Florida, so I wouldn't make that a strong criteria.

I did bike in the area as well, riding in some areas in between Clearwater and Weeki Wachee. I personally prefer areas in Central Florida (Clermont) or North Florida (Gainesville, Tallahassee). They offer a greater variety in terrain and mostly quite roads, and are less developed then the tourist/retiree areas on the Gulf. Additionally, I would take the east coast over the west coast (limited to everything north of West Palm Beach).

I will think about a few other points as well. Anyway, I wish you good luck with the camp!
Last edited by: baxels: Dec 31, 12 14:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really like this offer for example:

http://www.floridastateparks.org/...a/cabinsandlodge.cfm
Quote Reply
Re: $ Offered for Homestay in SW Florida [baxels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You may have better luck with your original post if you change the advertisement location from SW Florida to West coast or Nature Coast as it is known by locals. Us floridians know SW Fl to be Collier/Lee/Charlotte counties, and your intended city is in Pasco, north of Tampa Bay.

Good luck!

Follow me at http://www.tri-dad.webnode.com
Quote Reply
Re: $ Offered for Homestay in SW Florida [lcogginsjr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Try getting a camp near Clermont, nice hills.
Quote Reply
Re: $ Offered for Homestay in SW Florida [spire] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here is a place to stay with great riding and running and not a far drive to a pool ( brooksville ) or open water swimmng , ie Pine Island
http://headandheelranch.net/event.html I put on USAT junior camps in the area for 15 years and know this area well. One of the top training areas outside the Clermont and Gainesville area.

also anything around North Ocala is great, 50m pool ( at a Jr college ), great riding going north to Gainesville and all the side roads off 441 and running ( Ocala National Forest for trails )

a must swim ( worth the drive ) is www.floridastateparks.org/ichetuckneesprings/default.cfm go into the entrance at the midpoint tube launch ( Tram road area ) you swim up stream .5 miles against the current from the to the next dock then swim back. This swim will be 30 minutes up and 10 to 15 minutes back, University of Florida Swim team does this swim. A classic. I took members of the TIMEX multisport team there and they loved it. You can also do mini triathlons on the tram road at this time of year, t1 and t2 are at the southern take out point . ride and run the tram line ( 3 miles ) we use to do a 5 minute swim against the current , 5k bike and 1000m run repeat 4 times ( 1st one is a warmup so everyone know the course.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by msheeks [ In reply to ]