Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Selle Italia IDMATCH and Fizik Spine Concept
Quote | Reply
I've been looking into some of the various methods manufacturers are using to guide saddle selection. Does anybody here make use of the Selle Italia IDMATCH system? It seems like an interesting concept, but I'm curious if it's really all that effective. I get the impression that it's just an unnecessarily high-tech tool that might help narrow down the selection a bit, but when it comes down to it, it's really all about what is comfortable to that person.

Likewise, the Fizik Spine Concept also seems to attempt to provide guidelines, but how effective is spine flexibility as a predictor to what feels good to the person?

Have any of you made use of these saddle selection systems with any measure of success? Do they really help narrow down the selection and save some time, or are they solutions looking for a problem?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!
Travis

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: Selle Italia IDMATCH and Fizik Spine Concept [Travis R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't use the Spine Concept or IDMATCH specifically, but use bits of pieces of each. The two concepts are similar and I find them helpful in narrowing the field of saddles, but I only find they yield the winner about 50-60% of the time. I will use their concepts.to narrow to 3-4 saddles the client should be good with, then I have them demo each on the fit stand, find a winner, then demo outside for a week. Using this we get great results on the right saddle. I carry 7 brands to cover all bases.

Brian Grasky
Grasky Endurance: World Championship Triathlon Coaching; Professional Training Camps
RETUL fitter, Biomechanist, USAT Level 3 Coach, USAC Level 2 Coach
Quote Reply
Re: Selle Italia IDMATCH and Fizik Spine Concept [seebritri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for your thoughts! Regarding the Fizik Spine Concept, are you basically just doing a "bend and touch your toes" flexibility measurement like Fizik shows on their website? Regarding IDMATCH, my understanding of this is a bit more fuzzy, but are you gathering pelvic measurements or something to that effect?

Thanks again!
Travis

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've found pelvic measurements actually add more confusion so I generally don't do them anymore (but will on certain fits). Bend and touch toes. What's wrong with the rider's current saddle? How does the rider sit on the bike (reach? tuck tail? flat back?) Hip capsule and low back flexibility.

Brian Grasky
Grasky Endurance: World Championship Triathlon Coaching; Professional Training Camps
RETUL fitter, Biomechanist, USAT Level 3 Coach, USAC Level 2 Coach
Quote Reply
Re: Selle Italia IDMATCH and Fizik Spine Concept [seebritri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That makes sense - thanks for your thoughts!

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have access to the ID Match link and the tool kit, but have never used it. While it makes interesting Retail Theater, I found it more about capturing data on the customer rather than really addressing Saddle Issues. Overall, the Selle Italia line is similar in shape, unlike Fizik, who offer you three rather distinct shapes to sit on. Having 'guidelines' like Fizik does leave it more open ended for the rider rather than saying "you are X therefore Y saddle is for you". While it's good to have tools to quantify some physical attributes, in and of themselves can't eliminate the conversation.

For myself, I'm super flexy like the Snake but much prefer the Aliante. However, the Fizik 'find the animal in you' website process is bogus because it only offers MALE as the option.

Anne Barnes
ABBikefit, Ltd
FIST/SICI/FIST DOWN DEEP
X/Y Coordinator
abbikefit@gmail.com
Quote Reply
Re: Selle Italia IDMATCH and Fizik Spine Concept [ABarnes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for the thoughts! It is odd that Fizik doesn't include a female option. Matter of fact, I had a customer last night who's a super flexy snake by Fizik standards. She thought the Arione Donna was "meh", but absolutely loved the Antares VS. Go figure.

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have not found anything better then using the SwitchIt
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4w0OU36RfWY

Swifty

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
funny you should say that, I too had same response for a gal on the Donna, loved the VSX Antares. Most men haven't enjoyed the original Antares either come to think of it.
Have had hit or miss responses with Vitesse/Vesta over the years too. More general preference for the Aliante amongst both genders.

Anne Barnes
ABBikefit, Ltd
FIST/SICI/FIST DOWN DEEP
X/Y Coordinator
abbikefit@gmail.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's a 3rd one...Specialized BG which was built around Dr. Pruitt's research. Now a 4th one, Shimano PRO.
Selle Italia measures thigh circ. but never uses it in selecting a saddle, but it is important since for a given width saddle, the concave part that comes into contact with your inner leg varies greatly from saddle to saddle in a given S1,2,3, L1,2,3 size saddle so its up to the fitter to know the shapes of the saddles. Their system makes sense as the S is for small sit bone widths, the L for large. the 1, 2, 3 for how much loose your hamstrings are (which determines how far you can bend over to touch toes).

Selle Italia, Specialized and to some degree Fizik's concept is that the more flexible you are, the more pressure will be applied to the nerves and blood supply to 'man land' area. That is where the cut out comes into play. If hardly any flexibility, then you will sit more upright and don't need the cutout. Fizik has a slot which has been tested by Dr Pruitt not to work as effectively as an actual hole.

Sorry, but the Shimano guys actually have it backwards. The more flexible you are, the less you need a cutout. More ego than common sense and I have talked to the guy that in charge of the saddles and I don't think he really understands the concepts - a pure marketing guy.

My greatest concerns are for the pro cyclists who use the wrong saddles and will suffer the consequences in about 10 more years.
Cycling can be a harsh sport to the body's reproductive functions and one of our missions as fitters to have people be able to fully enjoy life off the bike.
You can quote me on that.......
Quote Reply