Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cleat fitting information
Quote | Reply
Do any fitters know of any resources which speak about their philosophy regarding cleat/shoe interface. I have had the basic Serotta style cleat fitting training as well as bikefit.com training. Was curious if anyone has had reliable luck with their cleat fits. Specifically regarding foot/toe numbness, hotfoot, etc..
Quote Reply
Re: Cleat fitting information [carrera111] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello; well, if you follow the protocols of either SICI or BikeFit then it is a matter of time and experience with thousands of riders, feet, shoes and pedal combinations.

When you follow protocols, there is no 'luck', and results are reliable. Yes, there are those times where you've tried everything and the rider still has an issue. 99% of issues can be resolved, and become 'obvious' to you with experience; but that 1% may require some ingenuity (hey...let me glue an extra bit of foam there, or hey...this shoe is ten years old...).

If there is a 'philosophy', then it is to: listen to the rider, analyse the foot/shoe and pedal/cleat, and aligning or supporting the structure of the foot as a force lever.

Anne Barnes
ABBikefit, Ltd
FIST/SICI/FIST DOWN DEEP
X/Y Coordinator
abbikefit@gmail.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the most luck with custom, "conformable" insoles. Much less shimming/wedging necessary after the foot is supported, with equal pressure distribution, throughout. I fit about 500 triathletes each year, and 70-80% buy insoles. I use the Sidas fully conformable type. These are NOT over-the-counter! Non-conforming insoles are sometimes better than nothing, but feet are very different.
Good rule of thumb with shims, is to use a computrainer, or something that displays torque angles, to guage improvement. I always do the opposite of what I think is correct, just to be sure. Should be as "bad" as the corrective is "good".
Quote Reply
Re: Cleat fitting information [bicyclefitguru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I am surprised at how many riders with foot problems have the wrong size shoe. I could see the imprint of the outer two metatarsals on both shoes. His feet would get hot then numb.

http://www.mybicyclefit.com
Quote Reply
Re: Cleat fitting information [Ron Hacker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes. I agree.
Quote Reply
Re: Cleat fitting information [Ron Hacker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Would this be due to the shoes being too small?
Quote Reply
Re: Cleat fitting information [SkyRyders90] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, too small in width. He could wiggle his toes. These were Sidi mega's (large toe box) he had gone up an extra size in already. So I suggested he find a different brand. Dude has really wide feet.

http://www.mybicyclefit.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I fit a lot of people on eSoles eFit footbeds. Based on the genius of Bill Peterson (rest his soul), I find these the best footbeds on the market. The metatarsal support is great, and the arch supports fit the vast majority of people--both with problems and with fairly neutral feet.

Brian Grasky
Grasky Endurance: World Championship Triathlon Coaching; Professional Training Camps
RETUL fitter, Biomechanist, USAT Level 3 Coach, USAC Level 2 Coach
Quote Reply