Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

odd communication with potential seller - PP Friends and Family
Quote | Reply
I posted a WTB post and received a private message from a prospective seller registered in April 2019 with no posts - after a very quick price negotiation via private email we moved to payment. I asked for the seller paypal information and received a response that requested we use friends and family, and the seller asked me to confirm this would be suitable - and then they would send me the information needed to use friends and family (I've used f&f before and nothing was needed beyond the same email). I declined and offered to pay the transaction fee as well to use "normal" paypal. The seller replied they only wanted to use friends and family and want to ship it tomorrow (I guess to make me hurry up?)...I told the seller I was no longer interested and did not receive a response.

Anyway, just reporting my incident for the common good - be careful out there. I have been buying and selling on this board for more than 15 years with no issues and this is the first time it has even felt weird....
Quote Reply
Re: odd communication with potential seller - PP Friends and Family [JeffJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is odd. I ask that buyers use f/f or pay the 3%ish fee. If they want to pay the fee--as I often do when I buy---I have no issue with that, and I can't think of a legitimate reason to decline a transaction if the buyer is willing to pick up the fee.
Quote Reply
Re: odd communication with potential seller - PP Friends and Family [JeffJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've heard of some sellers who had issues with paypal determining that they were a business and needed to pay tax on their earnings or something...maybe this person is trying to avoid that? Or maybe they had bad experiences with people who were overly picky about what they purchased and filed claims to get refunded...
Quote Reply
Re: odd communication with potential seller - PP Friends and Family [kram] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i have had a similar experience where the seller responded to my WTB and would only take paypal F & F. from what i gather, these are mostly scammers. they will not ship your item and nor will you get your money back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anymore I never do F&F, even though I have done it a handful of times in the past.
When I sell on here, I invoice the buyer via paypal and that automatically includes the 3% and buyer/seller protection.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also had something similar on here recently with a gravel bike. If you don't mind PM me more information.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Same experience in April. Guy went so far as to send photos of the product I wanted. I've used F&F, but usually just spend the 3% for protection on larger priced items. Also the person I dealt with had a new account with zero post, just a private message to me.
Quote Reply
Re: odd communication with potential seller - PP Friends and Family [rjrankin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gravel bike?????
Quote Reply
Re: odd communication with potential seller - PP Friends and Family [rjrankin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rjrankin wrote:
Same experience in April. Guy went so far as to send photos of the product I wanted. I've used F&F, but usually just spend the 3% for protection on larger priced items. Also the person I dealt with had a new account with zero post, just a private message to me.

I recieved photos of the item as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Happened to me as well.... definitely a scam.

"Suddenly the thought struck me. My floor is someone elses ceiling"-Nils Ferlin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
M1nion tried to screw me. He sent photos he stole off of an old ebay listing, want F&F payment from Paypal. Would not take the bike to a local Bike shop for shipping.

BoulderCyclingCoach.com
Quote Reply
Re: odd communication with potential seller - PP Friends and Family [rockdude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same seller I encountered and others have confirmed the same via pm
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah it is a scam. I have posted two WTB posts and had a quick response with the same vague message somewhere along the lines "message me if interested" I could tell right away it was a scam. Never do FF if you can help it.

2019 T-Rex Tri Series
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep same guy that tried it with me. He’s busy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Post as much info as you have about him in the negative seller thread so we all have it.
Quote Reply
Re: odd communication with potential seller - PP Friends and Family [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mines posted in there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He’s posting under the name buhkay. I have a WTB out now and he sent me a message to email him at the same address I’ve already called out.
Quote Reply
Re: odd communication with potential seller - PP Friends and Family [rockdude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
M1nion tried the same MO with me. Old pictures off ebay.
Quote Reply
Re: odd communication with potential seller - PP Friends and Family [Traket92x] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
M1nion tried the same on one of my posts. I didn’t even replied. Definitively trying to scam. Don’t fall for that person.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've never been scammed thankfully. But I know people who have been (as both buyers and sellers).

If you do F&F, the buyer cannot file a charge-back, which is why scammers like it. If you do "normal" PayPal the buyer can file charge backs.

But on the flip side, if you do "normal" PayPal, the buyer can file a fraudulent charge back. I know a guy from a watch forum who sold a watch. The buyer received it. Then filed a charge back and said the box was empty upon receipt. Paypal generally sides with the buyer in these scenarios. My buddy ultimately got his money by filing a claim with UPS, but not without many hours of hassle.

So... either way, it's possible to get screwed.

Lessons for me: dealing in person on high value items is always best.
If buyer: Insist on "normal" paypal.
If seller: Make sure you fully insure your shipment. Last time I sold something high value (a watch), I even took photos of the package just to be safe.
Both buyers and sellers: do your homework.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rockdude wrote:
M1nion tried to screw me. He sent photos he stole off of an old ebay listing, want F&F payment from Paypal. Would not take the bike to a local Bike shop for shipping.

Same guy, same experience.
Quote Reply
Re: odd communication with potential seller - PP Friends and Family [sailnfast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Still getting them from buhkay. Always within 30 minutes of post WTB.

2019 T-Rex Tri Series
Quote Reply
Re: odd communication with potential seller - PP Friends and Family [tribarbet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tribarbet wrote:
M1nion tried the same on one of my posts. I didn’t even replied. Definitively trying to scam. Don’t fall for that person.

I had the same experience with M1nion. He sent me 2 messages on a WTB. Scammer.
Quote Reply
Re: odd communication with potential seller - PP Friends and Family [srider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the heads up everyone! Almost went for it, but this post saved me.
Quote Reply
Re: odd communication with potential seller - PP Friends and Family [tri@thlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Buhkay is still replying to WTB posts trying to scam

----------------------------------------------------------

Quote Reply