Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
What should happen to Texas relief pitcher Frank Francisco?
Quote | Reply
If you haven't seen the footage...a shouting match between the Texas Rangers bullpen and some Oakland A's fans escalated into disgusting violence when Frank Francisco threw a chair into the stands, hitting two fans. One of the fans received a broken nose.

A survey on the espn website showed that most of those surveyed think he should be suspended for the remainder of the season. Are you FREAKIN kidding me???? It's the middle of September, how much of the season is left, a couple of weeks and then the post-season? That's not a just punishment. Here's what I say...Press charges of aggravated assault, hit him with the max possible legal penalty and liftime suspension from baseball. What he did is absolutely unacceptable!

If you would like to fill out the survey here's the link.

http://proxy.espn.go.com/...polling?event_id=877

Dan Hollingsworth

Nobody grows old by merely living a number of years. People grow old only by deserting their ideals. Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up interest wrinkles the soul." - Douglas MacArthur
Quote Reply
Re: What should happen to Texas relief pitcher Frank Francisco? [hollidan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kicked off the team, suspended for this the rest of this and all of next season.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Re: What should happen to Texas relief pitcher Frank Francisco? [hollidan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Isn't there a room here for this kind of crap?

-
"Yeah, no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars" - Thom Yorke

smartasscoach.tri-oeiras.com
Quote Reply
Re: What should happen to Texas relief pitcher Frank Francisco? [smartasscoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The bathroom. Baseball sucks.

Quote Reply
Re: What should happen to Texas relief pitcher Frank Francisco? [Mr. Tibbs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would like to see them reduce the game from 9 to 7 innings...:o)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jesus~! It sounds like a hockey game broke out!!
Quote Reply
Re: What should happen to Texas relief pitcher Frank Francisco? [Monk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hope you enjoyed it; that may be all the hockey you get this season.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
three prong approach:
Civil -- sue the bastard for damages, actual and punitive

Criminal -- press charges against him for agg battery

Professional -- a suspension of at least 1/2 season with no pay

"In case of flood climb to safety"
Quote Reply
Re: What should happen to Texas relief pitcher Frank Francisco? [triall3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ZING!!! triall3 everybody!!! I knew I loved you.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a personal boycott against major team sports, but I would make him go visit Texas Tech where Bobby Knight would teach him the finer points.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He should be sanctioned based on similar events per MLB's rules.

Criminal charges many times are based on intent. I'd bet very little comes of this.

Civil issues are between the injured and the defendent. If I was the one who was hit, I'd be OK with some signed stuff and tickets. In the scope of all things in this world, a broken nose is nothing. But that's me.

The injured should be compensated in a manner that satisfies them, not a lynch mob on the internet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not condoning violence ... but paying a ticket does not reserve the fans' right to say or do anything to the players without recourse. Some fans feel that since they paid their money they can say anything about a players' race, person, wife, kids, etc and that it's covered under the "I paid my money and you're a millionaire athlete, so take it and shuddup" blanket. I'd like to know what was said exactly.

"It was a real break from the normal trash you hear from fans. We've had problems about every time we've come here," he said.

Where was the security around the bullpen? Security is always tight around the areas where fans interact with players. ESPN website said that the bullpen called security earlier in the game b/c there was problem with the fans. It didn't say whether security did anything about it. Kinda looks like they didn't.

Truth be told, fans at sporting events say things to athletes from the safety of the stands that they would never say face-to-face .... hey, kinda like the internet. I don't think freedom of speech covers "everything". I don't expect a player to ignore constant offensive comments without doing anything about it. They are human. You and I would not tolerate horribly offensive things said to us at work or anywhere else. I'd really like to know what action security took during the game.

Does Rodriguez deserve more punishment than the 2 fans that attacked Kansas City's 1st base coach? Suspended, fined, hurt your team's chances of winning the wildcard, (Edit: Arrested/Charged), etc ... that's pretty good punishment for an altercation you didn't start.

=======================
-- Every morning brings opportunity;
Each evening offers judgement. --
Last edited by: TripleThreat: Sep 14, 04 14:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well....he got arrested today and charged with aggrevated battery.....which is good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
let the woman with the broken nose hit him in the face with a chair...

triall3, gotta give you props on that one. that was pretty funny.
Quote Reply
Re: What should happen to Texas relief pitcher Frank Francisco? [Russell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In the scope of all things in this world, a broken nose is nothing. But that's me.

The injured should be compensated in a manner that satisfies them, not a lynch mob on the internet.

Granted, compared to being blown up by an IED in Iraq a broken nose is trivial. But for someone going to a baseball game, coming home with a broken nose is a significant event. Unless it occurs due to a foul ball, then that's just part of the excitement of having field level seats. Consider the other possible scenarios, just a couple of inches left or right and she could have lost an eye.

I would hardly consider this an internet lynch mob, just a discussion.

In response to those who say he was provoked...I'm sure that those fans were screaming some rather inflammatory things, however that in NO WAY justifies throwing a chair at spectators!!!! No matter how you slice it, it's unacceptable!

Dan Hollingsworth

Nobody grows old by merely living a number of years. People grow old only by deserting their ideals. Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up interest wrinkles the soul." - Douglas MacArthur
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been to some games in that stadium ... how about making him walk to the BART terminal? That should be almost as fast a death as being hit by a bus.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I would hardly consider this an internet lynch mob, just a discussion.
Hangin's to good fer 'em.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Suspended up through the '05 season, at the very least, then await a full clinical review of his mental health. Anger Management classes? Frontal lobotomy? Maybe Jeff Nelson, one of the two Yankees who attacked the groundskeeper at Fenway last October, and who is now a Ranger, egged Francisco into tossing the chair! I love the Rangers, but Sweet Mother of Mercy, that is disgusting.....
Quote Reply
Re: What should happen to Texas relief pitcher Frank Francisco? [longspur] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry, but if you're going to show up be a tough guy, sit there and degrade people - you better be ready to face whatever comes your way. I'm usually appalled by what I hear fans shout at games. I don't know what she said, but let's just say I highly doubt she was just an innocent little lady.

People I've loved, I have no regrets
Some I remember, some I forget
Some of them living, some of them dead
All I want is to be home ".....Foo Fighters, Home

Quote Reply
Re: What should happen to Texas relief pitcher Frank Francisco? [FooFighterFan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Sorry, but if you're going to show up be a tough guy, sit there and degrade people - you better be ready to face whatever comes your way. I'm usually appalled by what I hear fans shout at games. I don't know what she said, but let's just say I highly doubt she was just an innocent little lady. "

How about getting a cursory knowledge of the facts. From AP:

"Francisco threw the plastic ball-boy's chair at a fan in a lower box near
the Rangers' bullpen along the right-field line. The chair hit one man in
the head, then bounced and struck the woman on her left temple."

So unless his pitching skill extends to bank shots with chairs, she was not the intended target. Not that that in any way mitigates Francisco since once he threw the chair, that someone would be hurt was an intended and expected consequence.
Quote Reply
Re: What should happen to Texas relief pitcher Frank Francisco? [asgelle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey, if I'm an Oakland Fan then sure I want to root my team onto victory. But if I'm one of the other fans sitting around this moron who's been yapping all game long I would think enough's enough??? Nothing bothers me more then to be sitting behind a couple drunk SOB's who won't shut up. You mean to tell me all the other fans in that section thought he was being funny??? I doubt it.

RunFAR Racing Services
http://www.Run-far.com
Team Cambridge
Hilltop Bicycle Repair
Quote Reply
Re: What should happen to Texas relief pitcher Frank Francisco? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Using my usual Madonna example:

I find it interesting that Madonna has somehow managed, for over twenty years now, to be loved, hated, worshipped, and jeered, and never caused any physical damage to her fans. She has been called just about every terrible thing a person can be called, and in most cases, she has ignored the naysayers while lavishing her attentions on the people who love her.

I'm not a huge Madonna fan, but I have to have respect for the fact that she set her mind to do something and then she did it, regardless of the naysayers, the jeers, the insults, and even the threats.

How does this fit into the current discussion? Well, the guy is a highly paid athlete, which makes him a public personna. As such, he has an obligation to behave in an appropriate fashion despite whatever heckling anyone in the stadium might be saying to him. Are people scumbags? Some are. But when you walk onto the field in uniform, you represent your team, your city, and every other group you might happen to belong to, and should act appropriately.

I'm so sick and tired of hearing excuses about how professional athletes are just guys who play a sport, and so what if they make $22 Million(or whatever) per year. These athletes are role models, and public figures, and they are, or should be, held to a higher standard than your average slob in the stands. They make the money they make because people idolize them, look up to them, and follow every aspect of their lives. As such, they should be thankful for their obvious blessings and set the example for others to follow, instead of simply living like spoiled little brats with huge bank accounts.

------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: What should happen to Texas relief pitcher Frank Francisco? [TripleThreat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm with TT on this one. Yes, the player should not have responded by throwing the chair and he will pay a penalty, but the bigger problem is that Oakland has a reputation for obnoxious fans and that the stuff going on from the fans was well over the top. That kind of stuff gets you tossed out of NFL stadiums and NBA arenas. It was apparantly unchecked by Oakland stadium personel and/or security. It should never have been allowed to have gotten that far in the first place. Yes, ball players are paid ridiculous amounts of money, a major reason I don't follow the sport. I express my disapproval by a peaceful boycott. If, on the other hand, you are a fanatic and pay the ridiculous ticket prices, there is nothing written or implied that gives you the right to excessively insult opposing players. I don't care how much some one over payed them, role model or not. Buying a computer doesn't give one the right to insult Bill Gate's ancestory or sexual preferences, even though I continue to hope and wait for the day for Linux to kick MS's butt. Francisco is also a victim to some extent in this incident.

Behold the turtle! He makes progess only when he sticks his neck out. (James Bryant Conant)
GET OFF THE F*%KING WALL!!!!!!! (Doug Stern)
Brevity is the soul of wit. (William Shakespeare)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]Here's what I say...Press charges of aggravated assault, hit him with the max possible legal penalty and liftime suspension from baseball. What he did is absolutely unacceptable! "

No need for lifetime suspension. Send him to the Expos. That should finish his career pretty quickly.
Quote Reply
Re: What should happen to Texas relief pitcher Frank Francisco? [parkito] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually, quite the contrary is true. You have the right to say almost anything you like about just about anyone, as evidenced by the many flame wars that take place on the web. Unless your words constitute libel, slander or are threatening, or pose a threat to public safety, you have not broken any laws, regardless of how offensive your words might be.

However, you do not have the right to physically attack me under any circumstances, regardless of how offensive my words might be.

I can't speak to the situation in Oakland and how poorly the fans may act, so I won't.

One thing many people seem to lack is the basic understanding that civilization is based on people treating each other civilly, and that while we are free to say many offensive things, it's perfectly okay not to.

A wise man once said, "Be excellent to each other." We could use a lot more of that.

------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply

Prev Next