Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Want to buy/borrow: Dura-Ace AX, Modolo, or other aero brakes
Quote | Reply
Only need the front (but will take a rear if that is all you have). Condition is not critical, although the Modolo must have the rubber cover still in decent shape (i.e., no big cracks, tears, etc.)

I already have access to/have tested Hooker, MRC, Simkins, Tektro, TRP, etc., so no need for any of those. However, if you've got an aero brake I haven't thought of and wish to sell it or loan it, I'm all ears.

Any loaner brakes will be returned w/in 2 wks, and I'll paying shipping both ways.
Last edited by: Andrew Coggan: Feb 23, 12 7:27
Quote Reply
Re: Want to buy/borrow: Dura-Ace AX, Modolo, or TRP 9XX aero brakes [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've got a Specialized (TRP) front aero brake if you're interested. If fork testing, you'll need a fork with mounts tho.
Quote Reply
Re: Want to buy/borrow: Dura-Ace AX, Modolo, or TRP 9XX aero brakes [grosso27] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mucho thanks! As it turns out, though, the Specialized dealer here in town will loan me one off of a Shiv, such that I don't need that brake after all.
Quote Reply
Re: Want to buy/borrow: Dura-Ace AX, Modolo, or other aero brakes [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a couple of Modolo's but no covers. Why is that important to the test, when it clearly will make them worse?

Chris
Quote Reply
Re: Want to buy/borrow: Dura-Ace AX, Modolo, or other aero brakes [chicanery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was operating under the assumption (I know, bad thing to do!) that the cover would improve things. In any case, though, it would be nice to have an intact cover, just to test the hypothesis.

How 'bout we let this simmer a while, and if I can't find one w/ a cover, I'll get back to you?
Quote Reply
Re: Want to buy/borrow: Dura-Ace AX, Modolo, or other aero brakes [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds good. From a theoretical perspective, there's no way it would improve the airflow characteristics of the front brake. The way that the rubber ridges run just isn't conducive to improvement due to the angle of the brake - it's going to create quite a bit of additional dirty air.

Chris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BUMP for the Friday crowd...

I've managed to locate an AX brake, so am no longer in need of one. I'd still, though, like to borrow/buy a Modolo Kronos with a rubber cover that is in good shape. I'd also be interested in testing a Campy Delta if somebody has one they'd be willing to loan me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I currently have my ZIPP 3001 torn apart for maintenance and could lend you the front brake with carbon cover if you are interested in testing it.

Pete
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So what's the most aero so far?

Quote | Reply
Andrew Coggan wrote:

I've managed to locate an AX brake, so am no longer in need of one.

Which size did you locate? I have both sizes, in case you'd like to borrow the other one. I'll post a picture later, if you need it. The taller version seems to be a more robust stopper: longer arms = more leverage + a different shaped cam, but won't easily fit on the rear of my p3-sl; the shorter one's a bit more aero, perhaps, (or maybe not?) but doesn't stop very well. In the short version, I have both the Dura-ace, and 600 versions; they appear to be mechanically very similar.

I also have a first generation Campagnolo Delta, and a later one, with the 5 pivots, that doesn't have a face plate. The face plates aren't exactly interchangeable, but I might get out the dremel and make it so. Neither of these have shoes but Koolstops, etc. will work.

All to loan.

I'm interested in the outcome of these tests. Thanks for your work.

I have re-considered the idea of modifying the face plate on the first generation Delta, (It's NOS) although I might have a line on a replacement for the missing one.

Last edited by: Axles of Evil: Feb 26, 12 6:56
Quote Reply
Re: Want to buy/borrow: Dura-Ace AX, Modolo, or other aero brakes [Bmanners] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bmanners wrote:
So what's the most aero so far?

So far, the Hooker Aero SL.
Last edited by: Andrew Coggan: Feb 27, 12 12:26
Quote Reply
Re: Want to buy/borrow: Dura-Ace AX, Modolo, or other aero brakes [pmerriman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pmerriman wrote:
I currently have my ZIPP 3001 torn apart for maintenance and could lend you the front brake with carbon cover if you are interested in testing it.

Pete

Thanks, but I need to get this project wrapped up shortly, so am focusing on brakes that are either 1) presently available, or 2) widely viewed as highly desirable.
Quote Reply
Re: Want to buy/borrow: Dura-Ace AX, Modolo, or other aero brakes [Axles of Evil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Axles of Evil wrote:
Andrew Coggan wrote:

I've managed to locate an AX brake, so am no longer in need of one.

Which size did you locate? I have both sizes, in case you'd like to borrow the other one. I'll post a picture later, if you need it. The taller version seems to be a more robust stopper: longer arms = more leverage + a different shaped cam, but won't easily fit on the rear of my p3-sl; the shorter one's a bit more aero, perhaps, (or maybe not?) but doesn't stop very well. In the short version, I have both the Dura-ace, and 600 versions; they appear to be mechanically very similar.

I also have a first generation Campagnolo Delta, and a later one, with the 5 pivots, that doesn't have a face plate. The face plates aren't exactly interchangeable, but I might get out the dremel and make it so. Neither of these have shoes but Koolstops, etc. will work.

All to loan.

I'm interested in the outcome of these tests. Thanks for your work.

I have re-considered the idea of modifying the face plate on the first generation Delta, (It's NOS) although I might have a line on a replacement for the missing one.

Interesting...I got an AX group the 1st year they were available (to put on my aero Mike Melton frame, built of Reynolds 531 Speedstream tubing), but didn't realize there was more than one version. I'd therefore be quite interested in seeing pics (ditto for the Campy Delta).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So would the new Simkins that looks like the hooker brake be just as good? And have you tested the tririg brake yet? I got a overtime coming in the next pay and all the kids have new sneakers for their nonstop growing feet so I have to spend it quick before they need new ones:0)
Don't know if I can find a hooker for sale......well I can but it is not a brake and I wouldn't want the other kind anyway...........

Re: Want to buy/borrow: Dura-Ace AX, Modolo, or other aero brakes [Bmanners] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bmanners wrote:
So would the new Simkins that looks like the hooker brake be just as good?

I wasn't aware that Simkins was making a Hooker-like brake?

Bmanners wrote:
And have you tested the tririg brake yet?

Not the final version, no.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry you are right Andy they don't. What I saw was a link to another forum where someone had mentioned it.

Quote | Reply
Andrew Coggan wrote:

Interesting...I got an AX group the 1st year they were available (to put on my aero Mike Melton frame, built of Reynolds 531 Speedstream tubing), but didn't realize there was more than one version. I'd therefore be quite interested in seeing pics (ditto for the Campy Delta).

Here's some pics:

Last edited by: Axles of Evil: Feb 27, 12 16:48
Quote Reply
Re: Want to buy/borrow: Dura-Ace AX, Modolo, or other aero brakes [Axles of Evil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah, okay...so is it possible that D-A AX only came in one version (i.e., short reach), whereas the 600 AX came in two (i.e., short reach and long reach)?

In any case, I assume the D-A AX that I have on the way is a short reach, so I'm covered there. I might, though, like to borrow that Campy Delta to test, if you're willing...let me do some checking tomorrow (trying to replicate another test).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i have a set of Wiemans covers removed but have the covers,might be superglued back together.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a McMahon Racing/Janus V brake I could lend. LMK.
Quote Reply
Re: Want to buy/borrow: Dura-Ace AX, Modolo, or other aero brakes [pmerriman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
still have the Zipp 3001?
ever consider selling it? pm me.......
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Campy Record aero break (Front only). In very good condition, however I do not have the pads, everything else.

Did not read thru all comments, so if you found something, anyone else can also PM me for pic's too.
Quote Reply