Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

SOLD -- Pacenti SL23 / Dura-Ace / Sapim custom alloy wheelset (tubeless ready!)
Quote | Reply

I'm selling a brand new custom-built set of super nice alloy clinchers. The rim is the new Pacenti SL23 and one of the hottest new rims on the market. It is wide (24mm), moderately deep (26mm), stiff, light (450g), tubeless ready, and bomb-proof! Just got a new 11 speed bike, so I'm having another set of this built around D-A 9000 hubs. Built by a local veteran wheelsmith with high and even tensions (who has been doing it since I was in diapers!)

Front:
Pacentl SL23 rim, 28 hole
Dura-Ace HB-7900 hub, 28 hole
28 Sapim Laser spokes, laced 2x
28 Sapim brass nipples, secured with spoke prep
732g

Rear:
Pacenti SL23 rim, 28 hole
Dura-Ace FH-7850 hub, 28 hole, titanium freehub (light, but won't notch the way alloy freehubs do)
Drive Side: 14 Sapim Race spokes, laced 2x
Non-Drive Side: 14 Sapim Laser spokes, laced 2x
28 Sapim brass nipples, secured with spoke prep
890g

Wheelset weight: 1612g

These come ready to rock with Dura-Ace skewers, Stan's rim tape, and Stan's tubeless valve stems. If you want to run them tubeless, just mount up a tire and some sealant and go. If you don't, just remove the valve stem and use a regular clincher and tube.

These are very light and strong rims built up with 56 spokes that ride REALLY nice, are extremely durable, and tip the scales at ~1600g. A friend of mine is running a similar build with Schwalbe's new Ultremo ZX tubeless tire (their fastest tire ever according to them) and he loves them. He loaned them to me and I promptly had a set built. Great for training, long days in the saddle, or even road/crit racing.

Selling for less than my cost on the parts alone so that I can get my replacement set built.

Cost: $620 shipped (paypal gift)

Thanks,
S

Last edited by: uphillisgood: Dec 3, 13 14:24
Quote Reply
Re: Pacenti SL23 / Dura-Ace / Sapim custom alloy wheelset (tubeless ready!) [uphillisgood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

For reference, hoopswheels.com sells a similar build for $490 shipped using nice but fairly entry level Novatec hubs.

http://www.hoopswheels.com/wheels2426.html

For $135 extra, you get full Dura-Ace!

Here's a chart of how the Pacenti stacks up against some of the popular 23mm wide rims out there. It is the widest rim of the bunch and is lighter than all but the Velocity A23 (which is light but not very stiff). The Kinlin XC-279 is used by Boyd and November in their builds and is a solid rim, but is about 10% heavier than the Pacenti and is not tubeless-ready.

S

Quote Reply
Re: Pacenti SL23 / Dura-Ace / Sapim custom alloy wheelset (tubeless ready!) [uphillisgood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

These really need a good home. Someone please buy them, so I can pay for my 11 speed set to be built.

S
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Need these gone.

These compare very favorably to the Boyd Vitesse and November FSW23.

http://www.boydcycling.com/products/2013-vitesse-alloy-clincher.html
http://www.novemberbicycles.com/fsw-23/

However, the Pacenti rim is lighter, wider, and tubeless ready. Of course, you also get some of the best hubs on the planet!

New price: $550 shipped

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Drooling....wish I had the cash.

Great deal on a great wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Pacenti SL23 / Dura-Ace / Sapim custom alloy wheelset (tubeless ready!) [Burnt Toast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Messaged you
Quote Reply
Re: Pacenti SL23 / Dura-Ace / Sapim custom alloy wheelset (tubeless ready!) [thunderthor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

$525 shipped. Come on folks, this is a screaming deal. That's way less than just the cost of the parts.

Thanks,
S
Last edited by: uphillisgood: Nov 10, 13 10:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
$500 shipped. That's about as low as I can go. Any lower and I'd rather just keep them.

I wanted to do a 24/28 build, but my builder didn't have any more 24h hubs. So, you get 4 extra spokes up front at a weight penalty of about 20g. Easily good for riders up to 210 lbs!

S
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Bump.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
would you consider selling the hubs only?
Quote Reply
Re: Pacenti SL23 / Dura-Ace / Sapim custom alloy wheelset (tubeless ready!) [wildcatdevil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wildcatdevil wrote:
would you consider selling the hubs only?

For the right price, I would. PM me if you're serious about it.

Thanks.

S
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sorry, found and bought a 7800 hubset.
good luck with your sale.
Quote Reply
Re: REDUCED -- Pacenti SL23 / Dura-Ace / Sapim custom alloy wheelset (tubeless ready!) [uphillisgood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm interested but I have a question: Have you mounted tubeless tires to these rims? I ask because I've heard that it's particularly difficult with the Pacentis and I'm curious to know your experience.

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: REDUCED -- Pacenti SL23 / Dura-Ace / Sapim custom alloy wheelset (tubeless ready!) [LegendRider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LegendRider wrote:
I'm interested but I have a question: Have you mounted tubeless tires to these rims? I ask because I've heard that it's particularly difficult with the Pacentis and I'm curious to know your experience.

Thanks.

Yes, I've mounted tubeless and regular tires up to Pacenti SL23 rims before. If you've never used this rim, it will seem hard at first, but it is fairly easy to do with proper technique:

1. Use thin rim tape like the Stan's tape that is already installed in these rims. Veloplugs and Velox are a no go (and you can't run tubeless with them)
2. You have to keep the tire bead *centered* in the rim bed. This is absolutely critical and after looking at the rim, it makes perfect sense. Stan's refers to this as the "drop channel" and if you look at the pic above, you can see it's a "valley" in the center of the rim channel. If you don't do this, it will be extremely hard to mount the tire since having the tire bead resting on the "shoulder" of the rim bed greatly reduces the amount of slack in the bead. As long as you keep it centered, it's no more difficult than any other rim I've ever used.

With proper rim tape and technique, I can put tires on the Pacentis (have tried Michelin Pro Race 4, Conti GP4000s, and Vittoria Open EVO Corsa) with no tools. As far as tubeless, I have installed the Schwalbe Ultremo ZX tubeless tires. They come with mounting lube which makes the job fairly easily. That last little bit usually requires a tire spoon, but that's a worry since there is no tube to pinch!

A buddy of mine has also done it with Hutchison Fusions. There's not much drama if you use proper technique. :)

S
Last edited by: uphillisgood: Nov 23, 13 16:22
Quote Reply
Re: REDUCED -- Pacenti SL23 / Dura-Ace / Sapim custom alloy wheelset (tubeless ready!) [uphillisgood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Last price drop before fleabay.

$475 shipped

Thanks,
S
Last edited by: uphillisgood: Nov 29, 13 7:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In case anyone is wondering, the hubs alone cost ~$500 (not the latest model but great hubs). The rims are $100 each. Add spokes, nipples and building and you are looking at $900.

So nearly half off if the specs work for you.
Quote Reply
Re: SOLD -- Pacenti SL23 / Dura-Ace / Sapim custom alloy wheelset (tubeless ready!) [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

SOLD
Quote Reply