Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Is it just me or...
Quote | Reply
Are people trying to sell their used bikes for waaaaay too much. I see 5,6,7 year old bikes for a few hundred less than brand new ones. Sometimes more than retail!
Quote Reply
Re: Is it just me or... [Socalbeachbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Didn't you know bikes appreciate,like cars, the more you ride and ding them up?
Quote Reply
Re: Is it just me or... [zachboring] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess so.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not just you. Here's a hint sellers - do your research on eBay and take away 10% (eBay fee)...there's a good starting point.

Oh and when on eBay, look at SOLD item prices, not Buy It Now listings that have expired without a sniff because the asking price is insane.
Quote Reply
Re: Is it just me or... [btmoney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So, I can't list my Y-Foil for $5000? :)
Quote Reply
Re: Is it just me or... [cydswipe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sure. Go right ahead chief!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One guy on here wanted to sell his 6 year old p3 with a 6 year old dura ace group for more than a new p3 ultegra because it had dura ace....I just don't get it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hey i've got a bike thats nothing like the one you said your looking for even though you told us what you wanted. Wrong size too and I'm asking more than you want to pay but I thought hey why not try anyway.
Last edited by: adktriguy46: Aug 17, 13 16:36
Quote Reply
Re: Is it just me or... [adktriguy46] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lol :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not to hijack, but I'm having issues lately where sellers post something and, I send them a PM and a note about the PM on their thread, and they don't ever reply ... or they act like responding is a bother.
Quote Reply
Re: Is it just me or... [bobby11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have used the classified to sell/buy without any problems, but I think what you describe is a direct result of Dan opening the classifieds to anybody without any posting history. One-offs who disappears, ala Craiglist. I have no direct experience with what you guys describe here, but I was fearing for something like this to happen. Lots of new user names appeared after the announcement, posts being pushed down in no time, etc...On the other hand the "inventory" seems to be larger.
Quote Reply
Re: Is it just me or... [Baboonator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They reinstated the wait period about the day after it was rescinded. So its not like people can make their first post ever in the classifieds on the day that they registered. I think quite a few people on the board have no idea what the true worth of their gear is. They may not follow gear updates and new release dates as closely as some of us do on here. So they have no idea that an ultegra 6500 9 speed group carries less worth than a 5700 105 group. They simply look up ultegra and see that the current version retails for more than the 105 so they think theirs is worth more. That or they think, well i only rode this bike i bought 6 years ago 3 or 4 times so its in new condition and is worth $200 less than what they paid for it then. They dont understand the tech and group, materials, etc are all out of date and have depreciated in value a large amount. I see this all the time in my area on places like craigslist. People thinking an aluminum trek with 9 speed is still worth $2000.

----------------------------------------------------------

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I find it funny when these people claim that their 5 year old bikes have only like 200 miles. I'm sure in certain cases that may be true, but it seems like a majority of the used bikes I see listed have low mileage. I think bikes should have an odometer.
Quote Reply
Re: Is it just me or... [Baboonator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I have used the classified to sell/buy without any problems, but I think what you describe is a direct result of Dan opening the classifieds to anybody without any posting history."

there is a 14-day wait between registering and posting on the classifieds, and, there is a requirement also to post a number of times on other forums before you can post on the classifieds.

carry on...

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Is it just me or... [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's the way to go IMO, this section seemed to work extremely well so there was no need to fix anything,unless it was a demand from a majority maybe?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We have another one
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Apparently
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You see it on Ebay as well. I just saw a an previous generation C'Dale slice for over $4000! Let's see:

Older frame
Dura Ace 7800 mechs
Older Zipp 404 alloy clinchers (non FC)

I mean, it looked amazing and it wouldn't slow anyone down. However, $4000??? Come on, man......
Quote Reply
Re: Is it just me or... [Tri Slow Poke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I expect idiots on eBay to do such things. Perhaps I think too highly of the ST membership.
Quote Reply
Re: Is it just me or... [smithson1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
smithson1 wrote:
I find it funny when these people claim that their 5 year old bikes have only like 200 miles. I'm sure in certain cases that may be true, but it seems like a majority of the used bikes I see listed have low mileage. I think bikes should have an odometer.

This! As someone who has sold several bikes and other used components, I chuckle when potential buyers ask about mileage. Do they REALLY think I know? For those sellers that do keep track, do buyers REALLY think the sellers tell them the truth???

My advice for those who use mileage as a barometer when buying used bike gear: Buy new so nobody feels pressured to lie to you.

Well, at least this seller tells it like it is!

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...rvelo%20wet;#3321905
Quote Reply
Re: Is it just me or... [Tri Slow Poke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Holy shit that's hysterical! Best post I've ever read next to the cat peed on my shoes thread
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
btmoney wrote:
We have another one
Which one?
Quote Reply