Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

From Addict to Ironman book & 1/2 Ironman June 10, 2007
Quote | Reply
For Immediate Release:

Breakaway Books Presents
Racing for Recovery: From Addict to Ironman also Racing for Recovery Half Ironman June 10, 2007 www.racingforrecoveryhalf.com

The tale of the drug addict who went to rehab, recovered, and wrote a highly embellished account is now an all-too-familiar one. “Racing for Recovery” is different in a very important way: This is the true story of Todd Crandell’s journey from the depths of addiction and depression; past sobriety and beyond to become an Ironman triathlete and role model, through the creation of his non-profit foundation, Racing for Recovery.

In his teens, Crandell was a promising high school hockey player on his way to a professional career. By his early 20s, he was a homeless, starving, drug and alcohol addicted ghost of himself. After several difficult encounters with rock-bottom, he found the courage to rise from the ashes, and quit cold-turkey. He found that athletics, along with support from his family, helped him to overcome his addiction. Soon after, Crandell found himself addicted to something much healthier: triathlons. He has now completed 10 Ironman Triathlons (a 2.4 mile swim, a 112 mile bike ride, followed by a 26 mile marathon run). In addition, Crandell is giving back by helping others overcome their addictions. In 2001 he founded Racing for Recovery, which helps people use athletics and other positive endeavors to prevent or escape addiction. In addition to community support groups, the organization holds yearly 5K races around the US.

Racing for Recovery: From Addict to Ironman, is a mesmerizing, inspirational tale of self-destruction and resurrection, available through Breakaway Books on April 17, 2006, at a selling price of $14.00. This book was written by Todd Crandell and John Hanc, a writer for Newsday and Runner’s World, and author of “The Essential Runner” and “Running For Dummies.” For more information on Racing For Recovery: From Addict to Ironman, log on to www.breakawaybooks.com.

Excerpts from Racing For Recovery: From Addict to Ironman

“…By Sunday afternoon, I had consumed, over five days, about three gallons of vodka, a case of beer, the better part of an ounce of pot, and a full Ľ ounce of coke. About 6 P.M., I realized I had to pick up Granny at the airport…In a coke-fueled frenzy, I cleaned up the house, got in the car, and pulled up to the terminal as she was getting off the plane. I can only imagine how I looked: Bloodshot eyes, trembling hands, reeking of booze, plus I had a fat lip…Grandma hugged me, looked and me and said ‘What happened?’”

“I had reached the nadir of my addiction and self-loathing. On the other hand, it is precisely at these times – when things seem as if they could get no worse – when addicts begin to turn the corner. Maybe it’s because we can feel ourselves touching bottom and recognize that either we must now rise or die. Maybe it’s a self-defense mechanism, whereby the last vestige of rational thought in your brain summons up its strength for one final cry: ‘Stop!’”

“At mile 25, I could hear cheering in the distance and the announcer’s voice over the loudspeaker announcing the names of finishers as they crossed the line…It was now about 8:30 P.M. I had been racing since 7 that morning and on my feet since 2:30 in the afternoon- a horribly slow, painful marathon…I was floating at this point-surrounded by people wildly screaming, music, a wall of noise erected in what had been a desert of silence and pain. And then an almost surreal moment… ‘Todd Crandell,’ I heard as I staggered across the finish line in 14 hours, 12 minutes, and into [my wife] Melissa’s arms. ‘You are an Ironman.’”

Voices from the Extraordinary Life of Todd Crandell

“He saved my daughter’s life.”
Deb Simon, mother of a member of Todd’s Racing for Recovery Support Group

“This is a really inspirational story.”
--Mitch Albom, author of Weekends with Morrie, during Todd’s guest appearance on his syndicated radio show.

“Todd and his program have improved our quality of life more than words can explain. If you are tired of what substance abuse has done to you or a loved one, and want to make a change, this book can change your life.”
--Scott Roberts, participant in Racing for Recovery’s weekly support group meetings

"A truly inspiring book about overcoming obstacles most of us can't even begin to comprehend. The way in which Todd Crandell was able to turn his life around, and what he has been able to accomplish since, makes him a role model for us all."
--Chris Legh, winner of the 2000 Ironman USA California and the 2004 Ironman USA Coeur d'Alene

Excerpted from Ch. 10 of Racing For Recovery: From Addict to Ironman, by Todd Crandell and John Hanc (Breakaway Books, 2006, $14.00)

Addict’s Lessons Learned

• Recovery only works if you want it to

• Take full responsibility for your addiction and its consequences

• Re-direct your addiction in a positive way

• Build a strong support system

• Help yourself and others will help you

• Take care of your body, and your heart will follow

• Believe you can do it

Advice for Parents

• Talk to your kids early and often about drugs. If you don’t someone else will and it may not be the message you want them to hear.

• Be a positive influence on your kids. Going out to a restaurant, having drinks with dinner and then driving your family home, for example, does not set a good example.

• Have your kids involved in activities, sports, music, art. And be there to support these activities; go to their soccer or baseball games, attend the school play or concert.

• Know your child’s friends and their parents. Be aware of what they’re doing, who they’re hanging out with, what type of environment they’re in.

• Recognize that drugs and alcohol are somewhere in your community, so do not be naďve enough to think that your children will not come in contact with, simply because of where you live or the economic level you achieved.
Quote Reply