Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
FS: Zipp 808s (new in box)
Quote | Reply
Price Reduced!!
Never ridden, never glued...still in box!

ZIPP 808s
  • Tubular
  • 2008 model (spoke count is all that's changed...according to the Zipp rep I spoke to ...that's for electusunus :-)
  • Spoke Count: 18 front, 24 rear

In addition
  • Zipp Valve Extenders
  • 4 tubes of Vittoria Mastik 1 glue

PM me for pictures...
$1450 shipped

THESE ARE BRAND NEW at a Used Price. A 2010 or 2011 model will get you one thing...deeper in debt and a nano second faster :-)
Last edited by: Hack: Sep 30, 10 18:47
Quote Reply
Re: FS: Zipp 808s (new in box) [Hack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bump...
New wheels...never used...at a HUGE discount!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
would you split?
Quote Reply
Re: FS: Zipp 808s (new in box) [53x12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Possibly...if we can get someone to take the other. Post which you want and let's see.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would want the front.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am interested in the Rear. Do you have pictures. Email them to serrao2000@aol.com. Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bump
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Still have interested party in the front...anybody interested in the rear? (oh man...you run with that statement right there!)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
intrested in rear let me know

----------------------------------------

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bump for Price Reduction!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What hub does these have? If they are truly 2008 then they have the old hubs and also a rim that is now three generations old with FC now out. The 2008 model is also less aerodynamic than the 2009/2010 model - they went to wider tire bed in 09/10.

Visit The Chipotle Calorie Calculator
Quote Reply
Re: FS: Zipp 808s (new in box) [electusunus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
What hub does these have? If they are truly 2008 then they have the old hubs and also a rim that is now three generations old with FC now out. The 2008 model is also less aerodynamic than the 2009/2010 model - they went to wider tire bed in 09/10.

While this is all very helpful information, I'm guessing it is also the reason he is not asking over $2k for brand new 808s. It's a pretty decent deal if you ask me.
Last edited by: bn: Sep 30, 10 17:48
Quote Reply
Re: FS: Zipp 808s (new in box) [bn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The deal is ok at best. You are talking about 3rd generation old wheels. 2009/2010 have better rim profile, and much betters hubs, in 2011 you get an even better rim profile. I just bought a pair of 2011 Firecrest Zipps on here for $1700. Honestly, you would be lucky to get $1300 on eBay and then you have all the fees as well. If I remember correctly the 2009/2010 claimed advantage on a pair of 08 808s was 8 sec, now in 2011 it is another 15 secs @ 40K. That makes for 23 second difference between 2011 and 2008. Occasionally I try to provide a service to potential buyers and let them have a better understanding of what they are buying. You can get a set of 08 Zipps from retailers for close to this price and then you at least get a warranty.

Quote Reply
Re: FS: Zipp 808s (new in box) [bn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
granted these have 250 and 700 miles on them but include tires and such and are $1250 or less. Maybe someone will come around paying greater than eBay prices because it is an honest STer selling them ;)

http://cgi.ebay.com/...;hash=item336151110a

http://cgi.ebay.com/...;hash=item43a1dcda34

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you have something against the guy trying to sell these wheels? It seems to me you are doing everything possible to tell the world what you think. Why don't you just mind your own business. You just bought a set of zipps so why even open your mouth. WTF?
Quote Reply
Re: FS: Zipp 808s (new in box) [regnihe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you have something against someone trying to help consumers out by providing more accurate information? This person is trying to sell 2008 Zipps as 2009/2010 which they are not. This not just a spoke count change. So are you saying you are in favor of people selling goods on ST with inaccurate information? Seems pretty deceptive to me. I hope someone appreciates the information - as a buyer I know I would. Interested in hearing your response.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you a moron? His ad says they are 2008's. Where is he trying to tell anyone they are 2010 or 2011 models?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wow calling me a moron - that shows great maturity on your part. No where did I say he was trying to sell these as 2011 models, I said 2009 and 2010. But to answer your question the ad says:

"(spoke count is all that's changed)" - the author is implying that in future years this is all that has changed. This simply is not the case. He is trying to make it seem like they are basically 2009/2010 model which they are clearly not. Am I mistaken on this, is it just my computer that shows the ad with this information??? And I'm the moron... right. Oh and btw, after looking at your previous posts I found the following post very interesting. Playing Police Officer aigh, seems like that should be a felony or something. Regardless the kids shouldn't have thrown the firecrackers but two wrongs don't make a right. Seems kind of ironic that you are telling me to mind my own business - next time why don't you just let the police do their job and you mind your own.

And lastly you never answered my question. You honestly have a problem with me trying to provide correct information to the consumer? Please answer the question. That is all I am trying to do. I saw this post and said I can provide a little more info to the consumer. Surprisingly the original poster PMed me. We went back and forth and I suggested he could provide better info. To my surprise the original ad stands even though he knows that both the hubs and rim shape are different.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh and I like the following from the original ad "A 2010 or 2011 model will get you one thing...deeper in debt and a nano second faster". It may get you deeper and debt but they are sure faster than a nano-second faster. If he said you can go deeper in debt and be 23 seconds faster per 40K at 300 watts or whatever it is, then I would be fine with it but that just doesn't have the same ring to it. As it stands he is suggesting that newer wheels, although more expensive, are no faster and he is doing the consumer a huge disservice. This is not ethical for me, but maybe it is for you. I like ST, and although I am not a moderator I occasionally provide "useful" information. I look at it as helping the community, even if you don't see it that way.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No deception intended. A Zipp rep had told me that the difference was in spoke count and electusunus has indicated to me in a private message that the rep was incorrect and I am deceiving everyone.

I thank electusunus for his diligence in protecting the ST public from my apparent obvious attempts to pull one over on you all.

If the extra couple nano second in a wind tunnel are important then as electusunus has pointed out PLEASE spend the extra money on the latest and greatest.

I'm just trying to offer a great un used wheel set at a fair price since I've decided to buy a PowerTap instead.

My apologies for any troubles I may have caused anybody...
electusunus...your knowledge, insight, and dedication to protecting the consumer is valued and appreciated.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You keep mentioning nano-seconds. Yes I recognize the sarcasm, yes I appreciate the update, but please don't belittle it like it is no big deal. Have you ever seen the old hub compared to the 88/188 hub?? Have you ever ridden on the wide-bed tire? Believe me I have lots of experience with Zipp wheels and I can tell you that I much prefer the 09/10 to the 08. And I much prefer Firecrest to 10. No I don't work for Zipp, nor am I sponsored by them. Simply put Zipp claims the 2011 FC is 15 seconds faster than than the 2009/2010. And I believe I am correct although not sure on this, but the 2009/2010 model is 8 seconds faster than the 2008. That is 23 seconds in total. Yes I know this is wind-tunnel blah blah blah not real-world realistic but it is certainly more than a nano-second faster. The old wheel was optimized for a 19mm tire, honestly I rode 19mm tires, they suck. The 2009/2010 is optimized for a 21 and a 23 doesn't cost you much but is much more pleasant to ride.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
here's a free bump for you Hack.
great wheels at a great price.

electusunus --> if that 8 or 15 or even 23 seconds is that crucial to your time then we will obviously see you racing at Kona this year, yes? ;)

Quote | Reply
To answer your question, yes I'll be there but I'm not exactly sure what this has to do with anything. Do you really need to qualify for Kona in order to care about saving time? Can you answer that simple question for me. And yes, thanks for bumping this again. I have been bumping it like crazy and if someone wants to buy this at this price than more power to them - what someone is willing to pay is up to them. Are you suggesting it is ok to list items for sale with obvious inaccuracies?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dude, you are the biggest nerd I have ever seen. I consider myself pretty into triathlon, but picking this guy's ad apart LIKE IT'S YOUR JOB is absurd. This is a pair of Zipp wheels for the price of Flashpoints, so let the market take care of itself. 90% of buyers (like me) wouldn't have noticed these SUBTLE differences, and frankly probably wouldn't care. Now I'm done procrastinating for my neuroanatomy test tomorrow.
Quote Reply
Re: FS: Zipp 808s (new in box) [triguy86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yet another slap - I'm a big nerd. Man so much name calling, so much hate, I'm simply trying to help out the consumer. These are NOT subtle differences, do some research before suggesting so. So I will ask you the same question that nobody seemingly wants to answer. Is it ok to mislead someone about a product you are trying to sell? Please answer that question - nobody seems to want to. The fact is this is a completely different product, it is not just 4 spokes, it is a completely different hub, it is a completely different rim. I'm pretty sure you just insulted the Zipp engineers to great length by suggesting SUBTLE differences in 2 new iterations of a best-selling wheel.

Maybe 90% of buyers don't care but then going by your figures that leaves 10% that do care. My post was to help out the other 10% that do care. If you don't care then please move on, there is nothing to see here.

Quote Reply

Prev Next