Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

"Beginner" Power Meter?
Quote | Reply
I'm interested in buying a power meter that is sturdy and affordable yet reliable and accurate. I do not have a separate set of "race" wheels per say - what I train on (Mavic Kysrium SL) is what I'll bring to Ironman CZ. I have $700 at my disposal.

I use a Garmin 910 so Ant+ is what I'd be looking for. I'm running Shimano on the bike.

I've been watching the Stages Crank based Power meter roll-out but according to Ray Maker (DC Rainmaker), it's not quite up to snuff.

Suggestions? I've been watching craigslist and the ST classifieds here, but don't know exactly what would be the best option for me, my budget and my needs.

Thanks!
Denise
Quote Reply
Re: "Beginner" Power Meter? [MrsTiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MrsTiki wrote:
I'm interested in buying a power meter that is sturdy and affordable yet reliable and accurate. I do not have a separate set of "race" wheels per say - what I train on (Mavic Kysrium SL) is what I'll bring to Ironman CZ. I have $700 at my disposal.

I use a Garmin 910 so Ant+ is what I'd be looking for. I'm running Shimano on the bike.

I've been watching the Stages Crank based Power meter roll-out but according to Ray Maker (DC Rainmaker), it's not quite up to snuff.

Suggestions? I've been watching craigslist and the ST classifieds here, but don't know exactly what would be the best option for me, my budget and my needs.

Thanks!
Denise

Pretty much any powermeter will do, most of the inexpensive ones will be the Mavic 32 hole versions, but other than being a little heavier than some of their counterparts, they are bombproof. Slap a disc cover on and they are fine for racing as well.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Re: "Beginner" Power Meter? [Devlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
most of the inexpensive ones will be the Mavic 32 hole versions

So any CycleOps Power Tap with 32 holes for Shimano would work? Is that what you mean?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MrsTiki wrote:
Quote:
most of the inexpensive ones will be the Mavic 32 hole versions

So any CycleOps Power Tap with 32 holes for Shimano would work? Is that what you mean?

No...what I mean is that most of the inexpensive powertaps will be already built into 32 hole Mavic rims.

Like this: http://www.ebay.com/...;hash=item43ba26352c

You would be best served by getting one that is ANT+ compatible, so that it works with most computers.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's also the cycleops powercal. Not a true powermeter but a cheap way to try it out.
(I'm also selling one)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in the same boat as you. I've been doing some research for a while on this and the 2 main options for $1000 or less in my opinion are Powertap Pro and Power 2 Max. You can get a new Powertap Pro built in to a solid wheel on Wheelbuilder for $899. Power 2 Max is a newer company that offers a crank-based meter on an FSA carbon crank for $1000. It's not bootleg crank power like Stages, it's a legit Quarq/SRM type power meter that Rainmaker seems to like. These are the 2 main options that I'm looking at. I'm probably gonna go with Power 2 Max cuz I'd really like crank-based power.
Quote Reply
Re: "Beginner" Power Meter? [jkendurance] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkendurance wrote:
There's also the cycleops powercal. Not a true powermeter but a cheap way to try it out.

Those are so inaccurate that I dont think they can even be called a "beginner" way to try power. They're worse than the oldest iBike units and that is pretty bad.

In your price range you are not going to have a whole lot of options, you will basically have 1/2 real options. A very very old powertap that is wired and uses the little yellow computer. Pricing on these units is all over, ranging from $150 to $500. The upper end of that pricing is a bit ridiculous, but it happens and some are still willing to pay it. Another option could be an older wireless powertap laced to some basic rim like a cxp22, cxp33, older velocity rim, or something equally as low end and older. It is highly unlikely you will find a wireless powertap that is ant compatible in your price range.

you could consider an older wired srm unit, but you would pay in the range of 400-600 for the lowest end units and that would not typically include a powercontrol (computer) for that price. Units in that price range will also probably require the unit to be sent to srm for service. so figure 150-250 more for a powercontrol depending on last service, age, and condition and another $100 for the crank battery change.

Most quarq units will be far out of your price range, even in the most used condition. Power2Max units are really too new to find a used unit for sale, and all would probably be out of your price range like the quarq.

You could consider using one of the kurt kinetic power computers if you use a kinetic trainer. This unit is not the most accurate but is better than any ibike or cycleops powercal. It has the capabilities to at least give you relevant numbers than are in a decent range of accuracy and give consistent numbers.

I dont know much about stages unit, except the pictures of the unit look cheap and I dont see how their tech is any better than an ibike unit. I am sure i missed another option out there, and I'm sorry if I did. My recommendation is that you save a bit more cash and try to pickup a used quarq, two to three hundred more bucks and you would be able to get an accurate wireless unit and some good crank options as opposed to being tied to something lower end in the srm range.

----------------------------------------------------------

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Powertap Pro+ that is laced to a DT Swiss 585 and I have an unused disc cover as well. PM me if interested.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
***EDIT: SOLD***

I have a wired PowerTap Comp 32-hole laced to a DT Swiss RR465. Yes, it is wired (not wireless) but it does come with 2 harnesses so you can easily set up 2 bikes and swap the wheel between them without issue. I bought this setup as my introduction to training with power much like you are doing and it has worked perfectly. I've since upgraded which is why I'm selling. It uses the simple CycleOps Little Yellow Computer (included).

PM me if you're interested - you can save some budget for other goodies or race entry fees.
Last edited by: Tyrell: Apr 2, 13 6:13
Quote Reply
Re: "Beginner" Power Meter? [Tyrell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed with Tyrell. Had a similar setup and worked great for me. For the price, you cant beat one of the last-gen wired PowerTap setups (with the carbon windows on the hub). They are rock solid performers and get you training with REAL power data instead of those gimmicky other units. Weight wise, they are compatible to the wireless units (Pro+, SL+) and you are just paying for the lack of wires.
Quote Reply
Re: "Beginner" Power Meter? [bryceman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone! This is really useful information.

One more question - I mentioned putting a PowerTap on my race wheels ("race wheels" being used loosely here as they are Ksyrium SLR's - nothing too fancy but I do have "junkier" wheels that I could train on) to my coach and she said NO. She said I should put it on my junk wheels because it's too heavy to use in a race.

That brings up the question - if my junk wheels weigh 1735g and my Ksyrium's weigh 1410g, adding a 400g Powertap to the race wheels will get me into about the same weight as the junk wheels. Is a 400g difference worth not racing with power? I ask because I would think this information would be GOOD to have during an IM distance. I'm not racing IM to win anything except the ability to say I did it. I don't think 400g is going to be noticeable???

That being said, I should probably get a hub and have someone build it into my existing wheel then, yes?

Mahalo for the help all! Much appreciated!

Denise
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NO! Dont ruin a good wheelset (ksyriums are nice wheels) with a crap powertap hub! I would agree that it would be more beneficial to train with power than it would be race with it. It would be best to train and race with it, but you are going to be basically ruining a good rear wheel by sticking a powertap hub on it. Your budget doesnt really give you the ability to get a quality powertap hub, so you are going to be using one with worse bearings and the weight gain is near 1lb (yes-i am rounding up here) extra as well. If you want to train and race with power save a few extra hundred dollars and go with a used quarq or try to find a powertap built into a nicer wheel. I think at your pricepoint though it will be easier to find a used quarq than a newer PT with ant capabilities on a nicer rim.

Quote Reply
Re: "Beginner" Power Meter? [wiRIDEfast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wiRIDEfast wrote:
I think at your pricepoint though it will be easier to find a used quarq than a newer PT with ant capabilities on a nicer rim.

I always thought Quarq was only SRAM compatible. It even says "Power for SRAM" on their website in big, red letters! Looking at their FAQ does give me some options for Shimano use with the Cannondale BB30. Higher price point for sure...but I'd rather save some money, wait a little longer and buy something that I can use to train/race and not ruin my wheels. :-D

Thanks again all! You guys are really helping me not make the wrong decision!

Denise
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ebay...you can find used older quarqs for 600-900 fairly often. They have all sorts of models, not just sram. Sram has now acquired quarq which will probably lead to some non sram models being axed but still far better options than the powertap builds or hubs that will be in your price range and ruining a good wheelset with a junk old hub and adding an lb.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While it may be possible to lace your Ksyrium rim to a PT hub, it wouldn't be easy, as the rims, spokes and hubs are all proprietary. You'd have to get new spokes anyway, so you'd be better off getting a new rim as well and keeping the SLR wheel as it is.

MrsTiki wrote:
Thanks everyone! This is really useful information.

One more question - I mentioned putting a PowerTap on my race wheels ("race wheels" being used loosely here as they are Ksyrium SLR's - nothing too fancy but I do have "junkier" wheels that I could train on) to my coach and she said NO. She said I should put it on my junk wheels because it's too heavy to use in a race.

That brings up the question - if my junk wheels weigh 1735g and my Ksyrium's weigh 1410g, adding a 400g Powertap to the race wheels will get me into about the same weight as the junk wheels. Is a 400g difference worth not racing with power? I ask because I would think this information would be GOOD to have during an IM distance. I'm not racing IM to win anything except the ability to say I did it. I don't think 400g is going to be noticeable???

That being said, I should probably get a hub and have someone build it into my existing wheel then, yes?

Mahalo for the help all! Much appreciated!

Denise
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SRAM owns quarq, but they are compatible with almost any other parts, you just have to get the correct model. As far as powertaps, once you have the hub you need to add the cost of spokes ($50-90) rim (30- a lot) and building, about 50. So for PT wheel its the hub plus about $150. You'll also need a harness and computer.

One other thing to consider, powermeters can last for well over a decade with no issues or they can go bad quickly. With a used one you have no warrantee and service in used ones varies from still covering it if its under the warrantee period to no service at all. So buying a new one might save a bunch in the long run, if you happen to get a dud.

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi

How much for the power meter your selling.

stephen
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great, have visited Slowtwtich for years but never signed up. Now can't private message yet. Still have PowerTap? You can PM me if able. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: "Beginner" Power Meter? [mpkai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can take this off my hands for $425 including shipping, needs new batteries.
http://www.flickr.com/...s/72157633146819012/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can get a new Powertap Pro hub built into a DT Swiss 465 rim from wheel builder.com for $899.

http://www.wheelbuilder.com/...tap-pro-special.html

It's probably worth stretching for the extra $200 to buy new. Or you can keep an eye out for similar deals plus extra % off sales on other sites. Locally, the Bike Shop had a similar wheel on sale last fall. Honolulu location. Not sure if they still have it.
Quote Reply