Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Fit of Asics Kayano v DS Trainer
Quote | Reply
Gang,

I have the unusual problem of wearing size 12 1/2 in Kayanos so I have to order them. I want to try a pair of the DS Trainers and the question is should I order a 12 1/2 in them too ie do they fit the same?

Many thanks,

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: Fit of Asics Kayano v DS Trainer [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not an expert on these shoes, but I have tried on both the Kayano and the DS Trainer, in sizes 9 1/2 and 10, and they seemed to be sized about the same. I'm talking about last year's model of both, however. You could try calling Road Runner Sports and talking to them about it. The have a large selection of shoes and sizes, and either a 45 or 60 day return policy.

The Kayano's were very heavy(to me) while the DS Trainers were much lighter, but the arch didn't feel quite right for me. So I'm still running in New Balance 765's, and hoping to find a lighter shoe that fits me as well.

I hope this is helpful.

------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Fit of Asics Kayano v DS Trainer [jmorrissey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They fit differently..........................kayano is a shoe that has a very loyal following...........the price dictates that..............here in canada they sell for 210.00 this year's model. The ds trainer is not cheap either. Sweet long distance racing shoe, but I wouldn't get it for training because it breaks down too quick. Kayano fits fairly wide whereas the ds trainer is a little narrower
Quote Reply
Re: Fit of Asics Kayano v DS Trainer [canwi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
True enough. I meant that as size goes, for me, the 9 1/2 Kayano and the 9 1/2 DS Trainer both fit me. Your assessment is correct. The Kayano toebox is massive, which I like a lot. I tried it out after reading (in Triathlete) that it was the best marathon racing shoe out there, preferred by many pros(stupid me). I found out, after running a miserable 50 miles in it, that it is mostly considered a shoe for bigger runners, and that while it is a good shoe, it's quite heavy.

I tried on the DS Trainer, which had a good fit, after reading that is was, as you said, a good, light, long distance racer, but the arch was not in the right place for my foot.

Like I said, I tried these shoes last year, and my memory fades quickly. Thanks for clarifying the differences.

------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Fit of Asics Kayano v DS Trainer [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
David,

I work at a shop and we only sell Asics. The Kayano's and DS Trainers are very different shoes. The Kayano is much heavier and has more "Duomax" that runs along the inside of the shoe forcing those that pronate more to run in a more neutral position. The Kayano also has a wider base in the the forefoot and heel along with more gel cushioning in the toe box and heel. The DS trainer has some forefoot and rear cushioning with minimal "Duomax" to control a little-mild pronater. The DS is also considerably lighter with not as much support as the Kayano. The new 2090 is a good fit in between. It has more forefoot cushioning that the DS Trainer, its not quite as heavier either. It has more "Duomax" in the sole than the DS trainer which is better for a mild pronater. Hope this helps some. I have tried all the Asics shoes, and the only ones you should need to go a half size up in are the trail shoes.
Quote Reply
Re: Fit of Asics Kayano v DS Trainer [ss_luna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you so much for the good response - I really appreciate it. I thought I knew the difference, but your explaination helped even more. That does mean I would wear the same size in both - right?

Again, many thanks,

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Try the new Asics Landreth [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Try the new Asics Landreth. I found the fit superior to DS Trainer and they are light and snug in the forefoot. I wear a 13 Kayano but a 12.5 Landreth. I prefer the Landreth and may switch over entirely even though I am a big guy. Not sure i really need the massive superstructure of the Kayano. Does it really protect me form injury? Many think such big shoes are overkill.
Last edited by: DanP: Apr 9, 04 5:06
Quote Reply
Re: Try the new Asics Landreth [DanP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
David and Dan,

Ok, now we are talking about shoes from the "other" side of the house from Asics. The Gel-Landreth is a shoe only an Asics gold account dealer carries. It is a new shoe in the line up. It has a very light upper similar to the DS Trainer, but the make-up of the sole is completely different. The Landreth uses Asics Gel Cushioning line for the sole, it has gel in the rear and fore foot, but NO Duomax on the insole to keep a pronater running neutral. This shoe is meant for runners that have a neutral strike when the run, down the center of your shoe from heel to toe. It is completely different from the Kayano. Go to your local running store (not foot locker) and have them check you out. If you look at the soles of your current shoes and there is wear on the outside of your heels and on the inside of your toes then most likely you pronate to some degree. Good Luck!
Sam Luna
Quote Reply
Re: Fit of Asics Kayano v DS Trainer [jmorrissey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The _new_ Kayano X's toebox is much narrower than that of the IX. I ran through several pairs of IX's in a size 13 and loved them. If I eventually am forced to buy the X, I would have to go to a 14. It feels about 1/2 size smaller because of the toebox.

So I just stocked up on the IX's. I also have a pair of 2080's which are at least as roomy up front as the Kayanos are.
Quote Reply
Re: Try the new Asics Landreth [ss_luna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks luna. I think one of the reasons I like the Landreth is that I have a relatively high (rigid?) arch and if anything I underpronate (supinate) - seems to depend on my mood and pace - the slower I go the more neutral I run. The Landreth are available at roadrunner.com and Bill Rodgers Running Center in Boston.
Quote Reply