Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Sub 1 Hour Iron Swim? [Marisol] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmm. I am pretty sure meters > yards. 1m = 1.093 yd. 1 yd = .914 m.
Quote Reply
Re: Sub 1 Hour Iron Swim? [efernand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duh! Gosh I am sorry, I only slept 5.5 hours last night and my brain is fried! Yep, that's what I meant, meters>yards.. and no, I am not blond and am usually smart:)
Quote Reply
Re: Sub 1 Hour Iron Swim? [Marisol] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok, now that we have that straightened out...

You are swimming pretty fast, 1:32 pace for your 3k. With that pace you would just squeak in under an hour. Was that swim open water? Wetsuit? If it was a pool swim, you'll get a lot of help from drafting. One thing you have to consider is that a lot of people are trying to break an hour, and a lot of people get out in 1:00 - 1:05, so if you don't get under an hour, it's going to be very crowded in transition and at the beginning of the bike. I don't take my swimming for granted, I still swim 3x a week, and was even thinking about trying to squeeze in a swim on the weekends. For me it helps keep my swimming sharp, and it's a great recovery or base aerobic workout. You may want to think about continuing to swim 3x a week.
Quote Reply
Re: Sub 1 Hour Iron Swim? [snichols] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"A ten-minute improvement in the swim is a lot, even if your last year's effort was conservative (and considering what comes after the swim, and IM swim had better be conservative). If you follow the advice you've received, maybe you could do it, but at what cost?"

That's a great point, and I'm on board with that thinking. I'm not going to increase my swim workouts per week at the expense of my bike, or run training. Nor is it my intent to blow-up on the swim leg of an Ironman. Just looking to get a bench mark from "those who can" as to what it takes in the pool to get to that sub 1 hour IM swim.

I don't ignore the coach's advice. Not only is Randy (TriMyCoach.com) training me, but he's a good friend. Speaking of Randy, if I don't get my butt in the car pronto I'm going to be late for the Thursday night ride.

See Ya'

Joel
Quote Reply
Re: Sub 1 Hour Iron Swim? [Joel Smith] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My own pool pace versus IM swim results:

I just about die trying to do 100 meters on 2:00 in the pool (hit the wall in 1:50, pant, go on 2:00). I'm in the slow lane with the dogpaddlers.

I swam 1:00:04 at IM USA, with a 28:xx first lap (I got cramps in my legs on lap two and twice had to stop swimming and stretch). I've also done 27:11 in one half IM and 28:10 in another.

So, why the huge difference? The only thing I can figure is that a wetsuit does some magic for me. I only had a draft on the first outbound leg at LP, and swam solo the other three legs.

You might try some additional wetsuit practice. Maybe you're doing something with your body position that is slowing you down. Have a coach watch you swim in the suit. Good swimmers have been known to swim worse in a wetsuit, usually because they fight the leg bouyancy and get their torsos too high.
Quote Reply

Prev Next