Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Stitches from fuel when running
Quote | Reply
Just thought I would try and get some thoughts on overcoming stomach stitches from the intake of fluids etc on the run. Last season (my first in tri's) I found myself having to overcome such an occurrence in pretty much the first few minutes of every race. Generally if I held back a bit I could get over it and then pick the pace back up. However I believe this brought about my downfall in my first crack at HI. I would be scared to take in too much fuel for fear of getting a stitch..subsequently I had nothing in the tank to tap into.

This year I haven't raced effectively all season cause I am geared up for end of season HI and more so IM later in the year. My training has changed from going hard regularly (last season) to barely at all this season as I build the fat burning efficiency. ANyway I have been taking in a LOT more fluids on the run during training and during bricks but have found that I don't seem to be suffering stitches much if at all. Was curious whether the body adapts to the fluid weight at lower speeds or perhaps learns to process it much better which then enables you to handle it more so when the HR picks back up?

Anyone experience anything like this when they moved from short course to long course? Any other views on stitches appreciated. Note in the past I would never consume anything within about 2 hours of racing so it was never like I had fresh produce inside at the start line.
Quote Reply
Re: Stitches from fuel when running [mv2005] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also get stitches on the run. However, I am not of the mind that fluid is causing my problem, but rather shallow breathing during the swim and/or bike and/or dietary considerations (acid, sugar, etc.). What I have found in switching to longer course tris is that at a lower pace, I am more apt to breath correctly and therefore have a reduce recurrence of the stitch. I still do get them on occasion, but the frequency has diminished. For me it is more a matter of pace then in race nutrition in take.

When I do get them I find that quick and deep breaths tends to eliminate or reduce the discomfort and that after a few minutes, it generally passes. However, prolonged stitches require me to reduce the pace significantly for up to five minutes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I only get them after I have gotten off the bike. For awhile, I could pretty much count on them showing up, no matter what I did. I found the best way to deal with them was to take very deep breaths that would expand my ribcage to its maximum size, and then hold that breath for 5 seconds (this while running). For whatever reason, doing this on and off for a few minutes will get rid of the stitch for me. I can only assume that the really deeply held breath is somehow stretching out whatever muscle is causing the stitch...
Quote Reply
Re: Stitches from fuel when running [Peter826] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah I've read about breathing deeply as well. Generally remember to do that but it's been a while since I've raced so shall keep that in mind again.

Thanks for the responses guys.

Mike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another consideration is your taking in air with the consumption of fluids or nutrition and this may cause stitches and in this case you need to practice intake that eleminates the air intake.
Quote Reply