Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bike computers
Quote | Reply
I did a search back to 2003 for recommendations on bike computers and found a few. But a few of the users like Sigma. I set up the sigma wireless and it crapped out night before the race. I am not happy with sigma at all and don't like the magnet that fits on the spoke on the front wheel because its designed really for the regular type spokes. also the reliability of Sigma has been a question. What I am looking for is reliability, not too expensive and something that is easily programmable for different wheel sizes, shows MPH, distance and maybe has a cadence function you can add on?

thanks

------------------------------------------------

Trying to find ways to pass the time.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike computers [jonathanb565] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a Cateye Mity 3 that is five years old now, still going strong. You can find them on closeout pretty cheap or buy the Mity 8, which is the new model. I'm eyeing the Astrale 8 myself. I like the Cateye Mity line because it has a big, uncluttered screen.

Brett
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Man, I have given up on cadence. First off, after you sue it for a while you develop an intuitive sense for it. Secondly, they seem inherently less dependable than a simple, front mount unit like the Cateye Velo 2.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the Cateye Astrale 8 and like it a lot. Not wireless, but has mph, max and avg spd, distance, and cadence. It's inexpensive. So far, no problems with durability.

The only thing I'm not sure about is the magnet for the front wheel, as I think it's also designed for a round spoke. I have round spokes, so it isn't a problem for me.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have used an Avocet 45tt on my tri bike for a while now. I use the cadence and rear wheel mount. It's a lot of wires, but has been quite reliable, although it needs a new battery at the moment. I like Avocet's 'magnet ring' as opposed to spoke magnets.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Second the recommendation for the Astrale. I have them on all three of my bikes and like 'em a lot. A few months ago, you could get the old ones (which are what I have) on closeout for $20. A deal at twice the price.

Anyone who tells you they're as fast now as they were when they were 18...
sure wasn't very fast when they were 18.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Regarding magnets..... Get the Mavic magnet designed for bladed spokes.... It works great.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jonathanb565,

I'll second efernand's vote for the Avocet 45tt cyclometer. Get the model with cadence, five bucks more than without cadence. Both with and without cadence use magnet rings on the hub flange.

I've used them for years on all three of my bikes and my wife uses one on her bike. They work great and no problems other than in occasional heavy downpours I sometimes lose the cadence function until things begin to dry out. I consider it a minor downside to an otherwise great computer.

I had used Trek and Vetta cyclometers before and kept looking for something better.

Ben Cline

Better to aspire to Greatness and fail, than to not challenge one's self at all, and succeed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got a Nashbar with cadence $20. It was my first. It refuses to break so that I can get a fancy one. The pickup is on the rear wheel. The cadence piggy backs with the speed wire to the chain stay and the wheel wire picks up from there. Both mount on the chain stay. It has current speed, cadence, average and max speed, stop watch, clock, adjusts to different wheel sizes.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spend a few bucks with something that will help your bike and run, the Garwin forerunner 201. Gives you pace, distance, limits, etc on the run. On the bike gives MPH, distance, time, altitude, grade, map, and more stuff I can't figure out. All with no wires, magnets, etc. About $120.
Quote Reply