Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Stem Length affects steering?
Quote | Reply
I am interested in a monocoque frame that is 5 cm longer than my standard top tube length. It is a sloping top tube so no problem with the clearance. What will using a stem of about 5 cm or less be to my steering?

I normally use a 10cm stem on my 52 c to c top tube. The frame I like comes only in 57c to c top tube. By the way, the frame I am looking into is a C4 Crono. Anyone know anywhere else I can get info on the frame other than the Dave Lloyd site?
Quote Reply
Re: Stem Length affects steering? [campled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A shorter stem length will make your bike's steering seem heavy and twitchy when cornering. I put a short stem(7 cm) on my old road bike when setting it up ala Cobb's "big slam" position and noticed a change in handling characteristics.
Quote Reply
Bike doesn't fit [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That bike of your dreams simply doesn't fit you. Don't buy it. Your weight distribution will be all wrong. Even minor handling problems will cost way more time than an aero frame can save.

My only experience with odd stems was when I had a stem that was way too long. My weight was too far forward. It is a miracle I never cracked up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The C4 has some interesting sizing characteristics. I don't honestly think they could cover every size from 49-64cm (I forgot the range they said, exactly) and do it well. I would steer clear of it unless Dave Lloyd could explain how a person of your size (I am where you are) could ride it safely and fit it whiles posessing the ability to corner, handle, etc in a safe and comfortable fashion. And the explanation better be a good one. Don't be afraid to bounce it off of the Forum.

Dave Lloyd was a great bike racer. Maybe he or his staff could tell you how it's done.
Quote Reply
At what point... [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
....Is a stem to long and your weight to far forward?

KEEP ON TRI-NG
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As cerveloguy mentioned a "too short" (i.e. not short enough top tube)stem makes your steering a bit wild- it's too responsive. Longer stem starts to tame it to the point of sluggishness. Stems should be commensurate and proportionate to frame size. If you are 6'2" and you have to use a 6 cm (60mm) stem to get comfortable either your posture is very poor or you have the wrong size frame or both.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Stem Length affects steering? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Tom. A couple of more questions. What ratio are you looking for? Does this change with tri-specific bikes? Also, would this not vary with headtube angle?

KEEP ON TRI-NG
Last edited by: GatorDawg: Feb 12, 03 8:06
Quote Reply