Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IMUSA Cassette Advice
Quote | Reply
Hi All

I am looking for advice on bike set up for IMUSA at Lake Placid this year - I usually ride around 5:45 for a medium IM Bike course however I understand LP is pretty tough - any advice on Cassettes / Crankset set up for this course? Would like to hold something back for the run..

http://www.endurancesports.ca
Coaching and Training Camps

Quote Reply
Re: IMUSA Cassette Advice [Zulu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Most of the hills (except one) are long and gradual. I did a 5:30 in 2001 on a Trek 5200 with 700c wheels and a 12-23 rear and a 53-39 front. This worked pretty well. For your speed I wouldn't go lower than a 25 on the rear (23 if you are using 650). This year I'm going to use a 650 bike with 11-23 rear and a 54-39 front.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You'll appreciate the 39-25 on the last climb into the transition.

IM-CA 5:30; IMFL 5:15
Quote Reply
Re: IMUSA Cassette Advice [Redemann] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
11-12-13-14-15-17-18-19-21-23

39 -55

700c

175mm

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: IMUSA Cassette Advice [Record9ti] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
no problem, its doable but how about some breathing room at the end.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with Redmann - if, god forbid, you have a rough day - you will be glad you have the 25 on the back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zulu,

I did IMUSA on a 11-23.................a few times I wished for the 25. Being from the

flatlands where the largest hill at times is the interstate overpass,I was definately

scared going into IMUSA because of the hills. I neve got out of the saddle until the

very last hill. No it was not a super fast bike ride, but finished it in 6:45 and ran

pretty comfortable duringthe run.Isaved it for the run. Spin the hills.

Mark
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's a hard one because everybody likes it so diferent. I can only tell you what I did last year.

on a 650 bike
I had 56 42 in the front and
11-23 in the back and I never used the 23

But then I live in Colorado and come from Switzerland so I'm pretty strong when it gets hilly. But the hills in LP are not steep, there are many but none of em is steep. I think with a 23 (650) or 25 (700) you should be fine.

It depens also how strong, heavy you are
I'm 175lbs and did 5:28 which easily would convert in a sub 5h bike on a flat race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't done the course personally but the consensus among our customers has been an 11-23 on 650c wheels.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you've done 5:45 on other courses, you could be looking at 6:15 or so at LP; 6:00 if you really kick up the mileage beforehand. Even pros ride 20-25 minutes slower at LP than on other courses (S. Larsen being the only freakish exception).

My advice is that a 6-hour LP ride pushes someone into at least 39*27 territory, with 30*23 (triple) probably better. A 6-hour tour there means, even with a 39*27, you're going up the 3-mile grade after the left turn at Jay and the 9-mile climb after Wilmington at 40-50 rpms (I know--I did it). That is simply too slow a cadence to save your legs for Lap 2 and the run.

I did lap 1 in a 30*21 (equivalent to 39*27) in 3:02; I faded in lap 2 and REALLY REALLY wanted one or two more gears. Lap 2 took 3:20.
Quote Reply
Re: IMUSA Cassette Advice [Mark L.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks all for your advice - I am 5"11 and about 75kg (race weight) - on 700c wheels - I plan on using a Zipp 404 front and Hed 3 rear....and based on the advice of this forum and my run being my weakest leg - I will probably be running the 25...Thanks again to to everyone who contributed.

http://www.endurancesports.ca
Coaching and Training Camps

Quote Reply