Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Is Taku around?
Quote | Reply
Hopefully so,

Yesterday my fiance' did the San Dieguito 1/2 and afterward, continuing on today, she has had tightness in her chest. She says it feels as if someone has inflated a baloon in there. Her father has heart disease and I'm concerned. I've told her to go to the Doc. but she's the martyr type. So hopefully some advice from someone more influential than I could help convince her that this is nothing to blow off.

Anyone/Taku?

TIA

"A man must love a thing very much if he not only
practices it without any hope of fame and money,
but even practices it without any hope of doing it well."

(G. K. Chesterton)

Quote Reply
I am hardly an authority [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
UHHHHH...

tightness in the chest is definately a sign of possible heart attack and should be treated as a definate emergency. If you get to the hospital and there is nothing great if not the time you spent dilly dallying meant heart muscle that is dying...

The biggest concern is the history of heart disease this should definatel lower your threshold for going to the doctor.

If the waiting is what concerns you, as soon as you go to an emergency room and say that you have a history of heart disease and having chest tightness boom you are going to get worked up...

Here is the bad news almost no matter what she is going to be kept overnight to perform what is called a rule out where she will have blood taken every couple of hours to see if she has any the blood signs of heart attack...

hopefully things will be OK but this has the definate possiblity of being bad... The best thing that would happen is that she is going to be OK, and she will be referred to a cardiologist and followed appropriately.

If you are having trouble convincing her be adamant about you loving her caring for her and that you are not going to take no for an answer.

GO GO GO

Also if you have any asprin around have her take ONE... and bring the bottle with you so you can show them what dosage you took. But go even after the asprin.

if anyone else is reading this... heart attacks are bad things... don't F around with the possibility, speed is the key here. Patients aren't always going to have the cardinal signs of terrible chest pain raditaing to the left arm blah blah blah... stay home with your flu and your colds but don't mess around with heart attacks, and don't think that becuase you are an athlete and in incredible shape that you can't have a heart attack...

If after the whole thing you want to knwo about chest pain I would love to tell you but the best thing is to have her go to the ER

good luck keep us posted
Quote Reply
other signs that women are different... [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's worth mentioning that women are even less likely than men to present with the "traditional" signs of a heart attack Taku mentioned, and they are more likely to be blown off in the ED. Make sure she's taken seriously.
Quote Reply