Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zipp 303's?
Quote | Reply
I have a friend who has a set of 2001 Zipp 303's (tubular) that she has never used, and is willing to "give me a deal" on. (We did not discuss price, so I'm not sure what that means exactly.)

Would these be a good set of race wheels? (For triathlons in general, and IMMoo specifically.) As I understand it, these wheels are less aero than the 404's, but lighter, so it seems to me that they might be well suited for the IMMoo bike course. True?

Are there any significant changes between 2001 models and the 2003 models? And what would be a reasonable price for these (assuming the consensus is that they would be worth purchasing)? I think the tires and cassette would probably be included.

Thanks for your help!

Carol
Quote Reply
Yes, they would be good wheels... [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
303's are a great choice for lighter riders, people who want light & pretty aero, and/or wheels for crosswinds. I'd love to have a pair for my wife's bike. If the price is good I wouldn't hesitate to race with those wheels, if I were you. Heck I'd race with them if the price was good.

So, what's a good price? Well, I believe 2003 303's are going for about $1200 or so for a pair. A few online shops still have 2002 303's for $895 or so. Take it from there...

One thing to check is the hubs. I'm not an expert on the changes to Zipp's over time, but there was a period sometime prior to 2002 when the hubs where less than stellar. Maybe someone else can comment.

I would be willing to pay $500-600, but that is just one persons opinion. Hopefully, you'll get others.

Regardless 303's would be very high on my list of an ideal setup for a lot of female riders.

----------------------------------
Justin in Austin, get it? :)

Cool races:
- Redman
- Desoto American Triple T
Quote Reply
Definition of 'lighter rider'? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How light is a 'lighter' rider? I'm not exactly petite (5'9", 145#).
Quote Reply
where do I find a good deal on some? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
point me to where I can find zipp 303 for $895. My woman is wanting to get some fast. I'm trying to convince her to get a disc rear. She weighs 130 lbs.

Olen
Last edited by: muscle.boy: Mar 17, 03 23:48
Quote Reply
Re: where do I find a good deal on some? [muscle.boy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.insideoutsports.com

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! đŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: where do I find a good deal on some? [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I checked there and they only have tubalar 650 cc set. I need a 700 cc set.

Olen
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 303's? [CarolJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carol, I think 303s may be ideal for IM Wisconsin. They are light and aero and quite strong. Hard to wrong with these dep[ending on the "deal".

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Definition of 'lighter rider'? [CarolJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't worry about that, the 303s are not a wheel for light riders only. In fact, they are stiffer in the vertical plane than the 404s, and the rim is overbuilt to accomodate crit racing. This is also why Zipp was able to take so much weight out of that rim for the Z3, whereas the weight gain is much less when going from a 404 to a Z4.

Gerard Vroomen
3T.bike
OPEN cycle
Quote Reply