Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help with Carbo Pro
Quote | Reply
I used Carbopro for the first time Sat on my long ride and it went well. I am training for the Cali 1/2 IM. I put 6 scoops mixed with water, went down well. About half way into my ride I started thinking I need protein ? A mix of 4:1 is what I have read. Should I mix some protein powder with the carpo pro or just carry a filet mingnon in my back pocket ? Seriously though, I would like some suggestions for mixing etc. for those that have used this product.

Thanks,

Ross
Quote Reply
Re: Help with Carbo Pro [Ross] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've used Carbo Pro for the past year and never had to mix anything with it. What's your reasoning for mixing in protein? At Ironman Florida I mixed six scopes in a 20 oz water bottle and sipped on three of those for the entire bike. I also had a few bottles of Gatorade, but thats it on the bike. If you want to mix something with it i'm sure that you'll have no problem since the stuff mixes well with water no matter how many scopes you put in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not familar with Carbo Pro, so I can't comment specifically on that, but I can give you just some general recommendations that I have.

I think the protein in carbo drinks is more for marketing than for actual performance. I know Endurox says they have all of this research, but I have read that nobody has been able to duplicate their results. (Plus they are the ones that tried to scam us with their Endurox pills, so I look at anything they say with a critical eye.) Which basically means their results are not "proven" yet. Maybe in a few years I'll be singing a different tune, but right now, I don't think that science has come to any agreements on this subject.

Having said that, I usually add a little protein to my shakes, but I do this because I like the taste, and the drinks seem so stay with me longer. So you could experiment with this if you want. You may like the results, you may not notice anything. When you do experiment, go slowly. Some people can't digest milk based proteins very well while they are exercising, and a lot of people don't like the way soy tastes.

There is a limit as to the amount of calories you can digest per hour, so if you add a little protein, you will need to decrease some of the carbs. So keep this in mind.

And about the steak, sounds like a great idea, but I don't think they make an aero grill you could bring along. Maybe we all could invent one.

Hope this helps!

Jeff
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You do not need protein during long workouts, just carbs. The 4:1 carbs to protein theory was proposed by JL Ivy for post-exercise muscle glycogen replenishment. Since then a few studies have shown that it does not increase muscle glycogen replenishment, post-exercise (Jeukendrup et al, date??) but a few say it works. Recently (JL Ivy 2002). Abstract below.

andrew

Early postexercise muscle glycogen recovery is enhanced with a carbohydrate-protein supplement.

Ivy JL, Goforth HW Jr, Damon BM, McCauley TR, Parsons EC, Price TB.

Exercise Physiology and Metabolism Laboratory, Department of Kinesiology and Health Education, University of Texas at Austin, Austin, Texas 78712, USA.

In the present study, we tested the hypothesis that a carbohydrate-protein (CHO-Pro) supplement would be more effective in the replenishment of muscle glycogen after exercise compared with a carbohydrate supplement of equal carbohydrate content (LCHO) or caloric equivalency (HCHO). After 2.5 +/- 0.1 h of intense cycling to deplete the muscle glycogen stores, subjects (n = 7) received, using a rank-ordered design, a CHO-Pro (80 g CHO, 28 g Pro, 6 g fat), LCHO (80 g CHO, 6 g fat), or HCHO (108 g CHO, 6 g fat) supplement immediately after exercise (10 min) and 2 h postexercise. Before exercise and during 4 h of recovery, muscle glycogen of the vastus lateralis was determined periodically by nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy. Exercise significantly reduced the muscle glycogen stores (final concentrations: 40.9 +/- 5.9 mmol/l CHO-Pro, 41.9 +/- 5.7 mmol/l HCHO, 40.7 +/- 5.0 mmol/l LCHO). After 240 min of recovery, muscle glycogen was significantly greater for the CHO-Pro treatment (88.8 +/- 4.4 mmol/l) when compared with the LCHO (70.0 +/- 4.0 mmol/l; P = 0.004) and HCHO (75.5 +/- 2.8 mmol/l; P = 0.013) treatments. Glycogen storage did not differ significantly between the LCHO and HCHO treatments. There were no significant differences in the plasma insulin responses among treatments, although plasma glucose was significantly lower during the CHO-Pro treatment. These results suggest that a CHO-Pro supplement is more effective for the rapid replenishment of muscle glycogen after exercise than a CHO supplement of equal CHO or caloric content.
Quote Reply