Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Light or Dark Colors for Hot Weather
Quote | Reply
With summer around the corner does anyone know of studies of whether dark or light clothing is best for hot weather racing and training? Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Light or Dark Colors for Hot Weather [mb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's basic physics, really. Light and smooth materials reflect radiant (e.g. solar) energy, whereas dark and rough surfaces absorb it. On a bright, sunny day I find it makes a very big difference in staying cooler. And, if you're traveling through shaded and open areas, it reduces the temperature swings between the two.

Lighter colors also help your body to radiate heat, though I'm guessing this is less significant. I believe most heat lost occurs through evaporation and convection (e.g. wind.)
Quote Reply
Re: Light or Dark Colors for Hot Weather [Todd Scott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well, some studies show a less effective absorbance of the suns ultra violet radiation in white clothing, causing a higher risc of skincancer.

And dark skin doesn´t seem to be that much of a problem in the sun, too :-). Just take a look at your native americans or the black people in Africa.

The Tuaregs, nomads of Sahara wear dark clothes all over, so I don´t think the answer to your question is that easy.

Regards

Martin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
studies, shmuddies...

I feel hotter in darker clothing, so i just don't wear them when training anymore. that is as scientific as I get.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You know, I thought (and still think) wearing lighter colors makes sense in the heat. But, in 1999 Lisa Smith told me at the Marathon des Sables in the Sahara that the resosn she wore black in the race was becasue it kept her more comfortable. It was like 110 degrees some times. It made no sense to me, but she won.... Weird. Personally, I'll stick with lighter colors except in small amounts.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My cycling team had black uniforms (including long-sleeve skinsuits) last season. They were not a problem at all. They don't show dirt as readily and looked cool too.

Wear the color which is best for your Karma and you'll be fine in whatever you choose.

http://wattieink.com/elite-team/
Raising funds to help wounded veterans and racing RAAM 2013 with http://team4mil.org/
"If you are gonna charge... CHARGE HARD!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While this doesn't address the color question, it is semi interesting.

Clothing fabric does not affect thermoregulation during exercise in moderate heat.

Gavin TP, Babington JP, Harms CA, Ardelt ME, Tanner DA, Stager JM.

Department of Kinesiology, Human Performance Laboratory, Indiana University, Bloomington, IN 47405, USA. gavint@mail.ecu.edu

PURPOSE: We investigated whether temperature regulation is improved during exercise in moderate heat by the use of clothing constructed from fabric that was purported to promote sweat evaporation compared with traditional fabrics. METHODS: Eight well-trained, euhydrated males performed three exercise bouts wearing garments made from an evaporative polyester fabric (SYN), wearing garments made from traditional cotton fabric (COT), or dressed seminude (S-N) in random order. Bouts consisted of 15 min seated rest, 30 min running at 70% .VO(2max), 15 min walking at 40% .VO(2max), and 15 min seated rest, all at 30 +/- 1 degrees C and 35 +/- 5% relative humidity. COT and SYN clothing ensembles consisted of crew neck, short sleeve T-shirts, cycling shorts, and anklet socks made from their respective materials, and running shoes. The S-N condition consisted of a Lycra swim suit, polyester socks, and running shoes. RESULTS: Mean skin temperature was lower for S-N during preexercise rest when compared with SYN and COT. No differences in mean body temperature, rectal temperature, or mean skin temperature were observed during or after exercise. No differences in VO2 or heart rate were observed. No differences in comfort sensations were observed. CONCLUSION: In summary, before, during, or after exercise in a moderately warm environmental condition, neither the addition of a modest amount of clothing nor the fabric characteristics of this clothing alters physiological, thermoregulatory, or comfort sensation responses.
Quote Reply
Re: Light or Dark Colors for Hot Weather [andrew-taft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmmm. This study was conducted at 86 F with 35% humidity. I'll admit it's anecdotal, but at 95 degrees and 95% humidity here in Mississippi, white feels better to me. I just seem to feel more heat on my shoulders with darker colors.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Summer, just around the corner"!!

Nice. It's -10C and with 5 cm more snow expected tonight as I head out the door for a run.

Summer is the last thing on my mind right now. I am looking forward to this run in the snow, though!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a friend who has worked in the athletic apparel business for years and has experience designing technical running apparel who swears that black technical fabrics reflect more solar energy than white do. I wish I could remember what study it was taken from...anyway, he never wears any colour other than black and he does all his summer training in 90 to 105 degree temps. I personally never wear a shirt at all when running in those temps(or anything above 75) but I have done tri's and plenty of bike rides in 95+temps in black and white jerseys or tri tops and haven't noticed a bit of difference one way or the other. I think much of it is mental - if you have it in your head that white(or black, for that matter) is cooler, you probably will feel cooler.
Last edited by: jaylew: Aug 1, 04 11:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Every time I see Natascha Badmann smoking everyone in a white race outfit at Hawaii, I think "where can I get me a white uniform".

This year I raced Hawaii, and as my brain was sublimating under the 87° and 100% humidity conditions, I sure wished I either had a white uniform or could run the marathon nude. I also saw an Asian runner with a coool hat that had an ice pocket that covered his neck. If he hadn't been running by me so fast I might have tackled him and taken it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yeah well contrary to logic and reflection theories, i read last year that white keeps your skin temperature lower but black keeps your core temperature lower. So whereas it might "feel" cooler in white, this research showed that black did better at keeping you cooler. I think i read it here: http://sportsci.org/.../0201/0201.htm&1 This is an awesome website for techie folks.

Want: 58cm Cervelo Soloist. PM me if you have one to sell

Vintage Cervelo: A Resource
Quote Reply
Re: Light or Dark Colors for Hot Weather [jeremyb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did multiple searches on that site but did not find the article you mention.

A black top could conceivably keep you cooler if it helped your body dumped more radiant energy then what was being absorbed from sunlight. This might be true in night or low-light situations.
Quote Reply
Brighter the better... [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
While I have no scientific evidence to back this up, I believe that wearing bright colors can dramaticaly help in one area of racing that should concern us all.

After competing in several events wearing a white or gray jersey with mediocre results, I decided to switch to a bright red one for a 1/2 marathon I did. While my race results were still mediocre, I discovered that I was much easier to find in the large group shots on websites such as brightroom.com or photocrazy.com...
Quote Reply
Re: Brighter the better... [JohnA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll second that one. When I raced in Roth with my white RnH long course singlet, silver LG helmet and blue shorts my wife took an entire roll of film of the race. I was only in one of the bike shots because "everyone looks the same" speeding towards you on a bike. I figure that I need Spencer Smith's ironman pinksuit or some yellow and black bumblebee top to get in any photos :)
Quote Reply