Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IM - a family event??
Quote | Reply
I have done 2 IMs in the past 2 years. both times I brought my family wife, daughters and parents. I felt tremendous amounts of support, although at times the stress of the family logistics were a bit trying. I am slated to do IM CDA this June, and my wife and I are debating whether or not to bring the kids this time. It will be my last IM for a while so I would like to accomplish my finishing time goal.

What are other parents view on the topic? To stressfull? Lonely without the kids? I need some direction, not to mention I need to make plane reservations soon and 2 tickets sure is cheaper than 4 tickets.

thanks in advance for any insight
Quote Reply
Re: IM - a family event?? [jTenniswood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One year I went to Ironman Canada by myself (1997). There were none of my customers there and I was anonymous- no one knew me and no one to talk to. It was nice since I focused 100% on my race. I had a pretty good race and enjoyed the expereince, met some other athletes to chat with and hung out at the bike shop a lot (I'm a terminal bike shop geek). Helping at the bike shop with other triathlete's bikes was awesome. I loved it. Going by myself was a great experience and made the time before the race very "controllable" and calm. Two years later I went with a really sweet girlfriend who helped me get ready for the race. I didn't have as great a race but I did have a wonderful time. Some of our customers were there too so we got a chance to have dinner with them and hang out at the beach. It was a lot of fun. Two different experiences, two different results. If you haven't done the "focus on yourself, focus on the race" approach it might be worth a try. Both have their benefits.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: IM - a family event?? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Friends and family. The one regret I have about all my IM experiences, is that after I finished I did not wake up the step-kids and drag them down to see the spectacle of the finish. Usually I was beat after getting to the hotel, trying to get back to the finish to start hauling the ex's stuff, and we stayed a mile or so away. Excuses I know. I do regret that, however. Even though, those kids had a blast going down to the beach for a few days. If they were still around, I would take them in a heartbeat.

---------------

"Remember: a bicycle is an elegant and efficient tool designed for seeking out and defeating people who aren't as good as you."

--BikeSnobNYC
Quote Reply
Re: IM - a family event?? [jTenniswood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What a timely issue. I was just debating this with my wife last night. I'm doing my first IM - IM CDA, this June. I have a 4 1/2 year old daugther that quite frankly has me wrapped around her finger. I very much want her to go, to be a part of the experience. However, by the time I got around to getting a hotel room, all I could get is a room about 1/2 mile from the start - 1 queen size bed and 1 bath. My concern is that with me, my wife and my daughter all there I may be hampering myself in some respect. Also, my wife has expressed some legitimate concerns as well. You see, while I am a tri-geek my wife is not. She is supportive, and enjoys going to the events. However, she was looking forward to the opportunity to do some hiking/shopping/and basic pampering at the spa while I was playing weekend warrior. She is concerned about how she will be able to entertain our daughter over the course of the 5 days because the bulk of the entertaining responsibilities would fall to her. What are some other folks' experience with bringing kids and what do their significant others do while we are there.

As always - your thoughts are appreciated.

Justin
Quote Reply
Re: IM - a family event?? [ILMClydesdale] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm all for bringing the family along. My family is ultra-supportive of my racing. For my first ironman (IM Canada in 1999) we all drove out (from Ontario) and made a family vacation of it. They all enjoyed seeing parts of the race throughout the day. My kids were 3 and a half and 7 at that time and have grown up with "race spectating" as part of their lives. They come to almost every race I do. As for a disruption to your race, bring a sleeping bag for the hotel room for your little one, and welcome the disruption! I find that if I'm there a few days early with nothing to do except race events and thinking about your race (especially the first IM) that it puts too much stress on me.
Quote Reply
Re: IM - a family event?? [ILMClydesdale] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Justin, my belief is that the IM event is even more difficult for the family spectators than it is for the participants. In my case, my wife (non-trigeek) and two daughters were with me for the entire time in WI. My parents (very non-tri geek) came in to assist. For them, the race was a 12.5 waiting and watching endurathon. The closer to the event area you are, the easier it will be on them (ie naps, lunch). It was a great expirience having the people I love the most there to support me. My finishing picture with my 2.5 year old is one I will cherish for a long time(I did not have the strength to carry the 6 month old across as well). If this is your first IM, enjoy it to the fullest and enjoy it with the people you love, it is a great expirience. After writing this reply to you, I think I have convinced myself to bring the whole family again, it just would'nt be right without them there. Plus the 6 month old would never forgive me if her older sister had a finisher photo with daddy and she didn't. Good luck, perhaps we will cross paths at CDA.

Jeff
Quote Reply